General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Step by Step SuperBrightLEDs odometer/heater face swap on 85-89trucks/4runners

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Step by Step SuperBrightLEDs odometer/heater face swap on 85-89trucks/4runners

Hey guys my LED Dashboard lights came in today so I thought I would put together a step by step how to install video for you guys. I did lots of looking around online and on yotatech and didnt find any videos on how to do this job only came accross a few threads mostly of people giving opinions "I think this and i think that" and, to be honest, I only managed to find one thread to be helpful that had pictures uploaded. But I still seen people asking more questions. So i thought I'd make this thread with pix and videos so you can see the installation in real time. This thread will be based on the installation of LED lights on 1985-89 trucks and 4runners. But the result will look the same on any other vehicle.

First thing you wanna do is order your desired color lights off the "superbrightleds.com" website. I ordered 6 WLED-x5 194 lights for the odometer but you only really need 3. I just wanted 3 extras for my other car. I used one 74-xHp3 on the AC/Heater face. I'm amazed that my order came from Missouri to Los Angeles CA in just 2 days! If you want to use the same lights I used i went with the "Cool White" color. It's an extremely simple yet drastic mod that changes the interior look of your truck.
Link for the dash lights:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ini-wedge.html
Link for the climate control is on the same page

I didn't get the dome and cargo light leds but if you are interested here is the link for those too.
3022-xHP4 is the part # for that bulb
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2Ffestoon.html

Tools needed for installation
- Philips screwdriver
- Flathead screwdriver, or a razorblade

Here are my instructional videos on how to remove part of the dashboard needed for installation of the lights and the putting everything back together:
Part 1
http://youtu.be/9EQPM4xZz7c

Part 2
http://youtu.be/Rf-ZRdhWHh8

Finished Product
http://youtu.be/VdPRdsnPg3k

BTW I'd like to apoligize about the movement in the camera and the zooming in and out. Apparently my girlfriend isnt the best camera girl. I was hoping for a steady view the whole time and didnt realize she was zooming and moving so much till after i uploaded the vids. Either way, this will do. Hope it helps.

Here are some pix i took:
The receipt with the part numbers and prices

New lights on the left, OME bulb on the right:

In case you wanted to replace every single light on your odometer here is the back of mine so you can see how many of each there is for your order. 194 x8 and 74 x5(+the 1 for cimate control so 6 in total) But like i said in the video you really only need three 194's and one 74.

Finished Product:

I would also like to add that on my 1989 4runner i am not able to dim the lights a heck of a lot. If anything just barely. I also read that i was not the only one with this problem. But I do wanna share that when I installed these lights in my 2000 corolla the dimmer worked perfectly fine. So I believe the cause of this has something to do with our earlier model trucks. Don't quote me on this but if you are thinking about putting these on a 2nd or 3rd + gen trucks, 4runners, cars w/e im sure your dimmer will work just fine.

Hope I covered everything needed on this installation and hope this helps you guys make your decision on getting or not getting these lights. Glad to help out! and if you have any more questions feel free to ask me.

Last edited by Redeth005; 08-29-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:23 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, great job, man! I'll eventually cave and just 'TRY IT OUT', lol... BUT, .......... maybe by adding a newer model dimmer I can see if it'll work right? I doubt there's much difference in them, really... but I can't know that for sure. That would be a cool addition...... And, well, MY DIMMER DOESN'T WORK, ANYHOW! hahaha.

Thanks again for posting this, Richard... nice work!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 AM

Thanks a lot man and you're welcome. To answer your question, "maybe by adding a newer model dimmer I can see if it'll work right?", I am not sure. Ive never swapped out a dimmer before lol. But considering, like you said, that your dimmer doesnt work i'd say its worth a shot grabbing one off a newer model and if all else fails just swap it back to the original one or one off another 4runner that does work. lol

Btw Mark im not sure if i mentioned this in the video but I believe the Inclinometer uses two 194 bulbs. Check Blakefogt's build thread pg 10. I know he installed some in his. Just in case you do go through with the swap
Old 08-30-2012, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are there hot spots in the gauge in real life or is that just something picked up by the camera? I've heard that sometimes it's just the camera.

Looks good! I've been thinking about doing this to mine for quite a while now because I have a hard time seeing the gauge needles when my lights are on. I'm color blind so the color of the back lights kind of blends with the needles. Anyway, this might make me get on that quicker than planned!
Old 08-30-2012, 01:31 PM

There is but barely. It's mostly the cameras fault for making it look more noticeable then it really is.
But its really not that bad. Only spot where it would be slightly brighter is directly in front of where the bulbs go. But that is just barely. As you see in video 3 its not as noticeable when compared to the pictures.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you that have done this, how is it on your eyes? I've been wanting to do this but i'm worried that it may be distracting or cause my eyes too lose focus after looking at the dash then the road, any thoughts?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 PM

Hey Stew, its really not over powering. i drive my car and truck all the time, both in which i have done the led upgrade in, and i have noticed that neither bothers my eyes at all. On the contrary i like the more noticeable well defined "white, red, and blue" colors more like this.

I see you have a 91 4runner. I know you guys have a different dimmer then we have in our first gens. I know our dimmers arent able to dim too much with these LED lights barely to nothing. But on my 2000 corolla you are able to dim them as if they were regular lights. Just in case the light does bug you. I wont say for sure but i do know your dimmer is different from mine and might have the ability to dim your lights as my car does. I know the pictures make it look a bit on the bright side but the camera did pick up a bit more brightness then there really is. I have Mark(ChefYota4x4) as my witness to vouch for me lol He has seen my lights in person before.
I speak of my own experience with these lights. But if you wanna hear of somebody who switched out the color of these lights due to it bothering his eyes you might wanna check out Blakefogt's build thread. i know he went from the same color i have now to a green color because it was easier on the eyes.

Last edited by Redeth005; 09-12-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:04 PM

Well I read ToyoSpearo's SAS thread and he he said that the dimmer didn't work too much on the LEDs but maybe it never worked that well before. It's a very simple project and since i'm getting a new tach tomorrow, might as well just go for it and if it's a bother, i'll replace the bulbs back to original and i've spent 40 min, not bad at all. Thanks man!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:06 PM

No problem man. I'll try to do a quick video of the 2 dash lights tonight to show you the difference in dimming abilities off my 89 4runner and off the 2000 corolla. its a big difference. Just to give you guys more perspective.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:48 AM

If you have LED instrument lamps, your stock dimmer may work. LEDs usually can't be dimmed with a dimmer manufactured for incandescent lamps.

eBay has manual and wireless LED dimmers starting at about $5.00. Make sure you get one for 12V though, as they have a couple different models that look the same, but have different voltage input.

Hope this helps.

Roy
Old 09-13-2012, 05:55 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Put LEDs in my Tacoma dash and they dimmed just fine.

:wabbit2:
Old 09-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, Roy...

I hadn't thought of that... and that COULD be a good resolution for us 1st Gen Runner owners/2nd Gen PU's(maybe more models, considering what was said about Spearo, by Stew......)

BTW, Stew... LOVE the New Avitar pic, hahaha....One of my fav comedies of that era.... "ABORT THE FETAL POSITION!"
Old 09-13-2012, 11:16 AM

"I don't have to out run the bear, I just have to out run you!"
Old 09-13-2012, 11:31 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
subscribed....thanks for the write-up.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
MAN that's awesome. Thanks for the writeup! Looks great!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 PM

Great tut man thanks i used your info and did it on my 88 4runner. My dimmer switch dimmed them just fine
Old 10-03-2012, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
subscribed....thanks for the write-up.
Originally Posted by Inferno451
MAN that's awesome. Thanks for the writeup! Looks great!
Originally Posted by jaytorino
Great tut man thanks i used your info and did it on my 88 4runner. My dimmer switch dimmed them just fine
You guys are very welcome glad the info was helpful.
Jay that's good to know your dimmer worked on the 88. I wish mine worked enough not that I would use it anyway. I think its perfect
Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM

Good info! Just ordered my LEDs.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:21 PM

Nice. Hope it comes out looking great. Which rig are ya gonna put it on?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM

These will be going on Ole Blue! Ordered the cool whites

Quick Reply: Step by Step SuperBrightLEDs odometer/heater face swap on 85-89trucks/4runners