General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reproduction Tail light harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Reproduction Tail light harness

6 pin Tail light pig tails with 1 foot of wire - $20 per side shipped in USA

Wire colors as looking at the plug:

*Note: Green and Green with Blue stripe from your harness goes to the Green wire on the pig tail. Colors are based on 86 and 87 pickups, should match 84-95. If your colors don't match, please let me know what year/model you have so I can update fitment info.

Original Post:
Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but I'm interested in moving my wire harness business and covering some Toyota harnesses and pig tails. Currently I make out of production Honda ATC harnesses and attached a few pics to showcase what I do. Personally I've ran into a lot of taillight issues, and it seems the radio plug and cig lighter (12v aux) is hacked up quite often.

Anyway, to get to the point, I was wondering what kind of interest there is for the tail light pig tails. I have to buy the wire yet, but it would be color matched to OEM and probably sold in 1ft or 4ft pig tails (you splice into your existing harness). Currently I'm primarily focused on 84-88 pickups, since that's what I have the most of to validate details.

I'm estimating prices to be around $25 for single pig tail in 1ft length. Extra long 4ft would be closer to $40.

I'm not a big business or anything, everything is hand assembled and it's only me doing the work. I use good quality Japanese branded connectors and USA made GXL automotive grade wire (High temp 125C, resistant to oil, mold, and such).

I haven't researched the ratio, license plate light, or fuel sending unit connectors to see if I can get them new or not. Would love to build the whole tail light harness, but the plug under the passenger seat appears to be out of production. Any part numbers on these things would be awesome, or 3rd party (non Toyota) part numbers (likely suppliers for Toyota).

Thanks for reading my thread.

I'll probably be ordering the few color combos I need to match the 86 OEM setup within a month or two if all goes well with money etc. I could make them with all the wires white right now if you really need them. Not really ideal but do-able, you'd just have to be sure to match your OEM pin out.
Attached Thumbnails Reproduction Tail light harness-dscn4127.jpg   Reproduction Tail light harness-dscn4131.jpg  

Last edited by atcfixer; 04-26-2017 at 07:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Badfast (03-15-2024)
Old 04-02-2017, 05:09 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Right now I don't have a need for any wiring, but I think it's great for people on this forum to start reproducing parts. A lot of people seem to have trouble with the injector wiring as well. Cool idea and looks like you do good work.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:52 AM

From what I've seen, the engine harnesses are hacked into or critters did some chewing on something like 60-75% of them, atleast for the one's I've bought that ended up being parts trucks. I didn't really mention that though since the lock style injector connectors might be out of production or were special made for Toyota. Kind of like the tail light plug for the tail light side has the two screw holes, I can get that style of plug that interfaces the same, but not the one with the screw hole mounts.

About 50% or so of the interior dash wiring I can get the connectors for since they are the same series as the tail lights. The other design is a bit weird, probably the same series at the cab connector I can't seem to find, it's the 9pin that seems out of production, 8 and 10 are still made, so the smaller ones are probably made too.

I came from the 3 wheeler scene, and there are quite a lot of parts members make to keep their machines going.

I try to make good parts, I've seen some other people's work on harnesses and I really didn't like it at all. It was a member that made a harness, and a guy that collects that kind of stuff sent me it for the template. The wire was low temp stuff kind of like what China parts have, and the crimps were terrible, I had one of the connectors fall off and had to replace it.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:14 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
If you end up getting some traction on this please send myself or one of the other mods a PM, this will probably eventually end up in the classifieds- vender section since it pretty much falls under the range of selling stuff

after making a few similar harnesses for my own use on tail light conversions I can see where there may be a small demand, i did end up making one for another guy that did a flat bed..
Old 04-20-2017, 11:21 PM

Small update on this. I worked with my connector supplier and have located the cab plug, working out the part number for the terminals, and funds for stocking them and the license plate light plugs.

I've ordered the missing colors of wire I needed and 100 of the tail light connectors in good faith that this will perform well enough on ebay. If not, it's a pretty common connector in other applications.

If all goes well, I should be able to reproduce the full tail light/fuel tank harness as well.

I've also found a little sub harness that's used for a VSV for the AC idle kick up that's only on 22r/re trucks with ac. I can remake the 3 wire harness pretty cheap. I believe the part number is 88648-89115 or 88648-89119, but it's labeled in the parts diagram as 88605D and appears to be out of production too. Once my wire comes in, I'll have the wire to cover this harness as well. I added a photo of the OEM part for reference.
Based on the part numbers, production date range of the part is: 08/1985-08/1987 but on the interchange list, it shows 85-88 for the model years it fits (pickup and 4runner 22r/re only).
Attached Thumbnails Reproduction Tail light harness-dscn4120.jpg  
Old 04-22-2017, 02:11 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If your able to make and ship these at a reasonable price they might be a worthwhile endeavor I wish you luck.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:16 AM

I haven't done all the math since some numbers are missing yet, but off ebay I should be able to sell the full tail light harness for around $150-200 and I think it might fit in a small flat rate box which runs around $6 for shipping. If not there's always the padded flat rate envelope which is also around $6. Prices would be around 10-15% higher for ebay listings due to fees. I have to see about finding a place to buy a quality grommet for the though cab spot, and the mounting system would probably have to either be zip ties, or save the OEM ones and tape them to the harness. I'm planning to tube the wire instead of harness wrap for the better water proofing, but wrapping might be an option I haven't looked into much.

Not sure if that would be a reasonable price or not, but hopefully it's somewhere in the middle grounds where it's worth it for atleast some people, most likely ones down south or west where there's less rust problems.

My price on the pig tails above might be a little high, that was also for ebay pricing.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:19 PM

First package arrived. 100x of the 6 pin connectors for the tail lights, and 25 of the 3 pin connectors for the fuel sender/float level sensor. Tomorrow I should receive the wire order, and not sure when, but I have the cab harness plug ordered to validate it's correct and fits well.
Attached Thumbnails Reproduction Tail light harness-dscn4125.jpg  
Old 03-21-2018, 08:30 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Atcfixer,
Where do you get your connectors from, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 03-21-2018, 08:52 PM

In small quantities most come from http://cycleterminal.com/ all the connectors are name brand name, so high quality. For larger quantities I buy them in larger lots 100-1000 through wholesale channels like https://www.mouser.com and http://www.newark.com

I stick with OEM manufacturers like AMP/TE, Sumitomo , Yazaki , etc

Finding the right series and connectors is kind of a pain, but once it's found and you can get the right part numbers for it (housing + terminal + related like seals), then it's just finding who sells it.

Kind of sad, I have an unfinished tail light harness that has been sitting around for about a year now , I need to finish it up and test fit it on a truck ^.^. Tracking down the cab connector was an interesting quest.

Last edited by atcfixer; 03-21-2018 at 10:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (09-11-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Thanks!
Old 08-15-2021, 04:38 AM

Small update on this. I made the under hood AC sub harness (3 wire harness), toyota pickup tail light pig tails (as shown in first post), and first gen Tacoma tail light pig tails. I've recently got interest in expanding in the toyota side of things again, so working on getting a bunch of the engine connectors and atleast making pig tails so people can repair their harnesses or do conversions easier.

Next sub harness I'm targeting is the AC amp interior sub harness right behind the glove box. Two connectors cost quite a lot, about 4 times the normal price and the min orders were quite a bit too, so looking to be charging about $60 shipped for them.

I've eyeballed the other section of the harness that has the small fuse box and relay on it, I could probably make something that would work but wouldn't be a perfect OEM reproduction and there's a lot of new connectors I don't have so would be a huge cost on my side to start making them.

The tail light pig tails have sold fairly well, not a massive demand, but I've hit over 200 sales since I created the ebay listings, so there's a bit of a demand.

I'm working with my supplier to get a bunch of the 4 pin distributor connectors for the 3vz 3.0L v6 engine (flat and square style). I did a sample run and they sold out pretty fast. Oddly, there's generic ones that exist but the wire colors are all the same color. I like to go the extra mile and color match to OEM colors.

I'll probably be getting into the injector connectors before long too, they are the same story, color matched etc and the wire I use is actually designed for on engine harnesses (125C rated).

I'm open to other suggestions too, maybe a battery cable upgrade, a "big 3" kit, etc. I have a battery cable crimper, think it was 10 ton rated and does up to welding cable sizes =).
Old 12-01-2021, 06:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I’m installing a 1995 Tacoma bed on my 1994 DLX pickup. When I bought the truck it had a flatbed and LED lighting. It looks like t
your connector would be the answer to my search for connectors.

Last edited by armalite15; 12-01-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:25 PM

Good news, just plug the tail light in. The Toyota pickup/hilux (around 84-95 era) and early Tacoma 95-2000 uses the same pin out and connectors. 2001 Tacoma the connector pin out changed where it used 6 wires instead of 5.

FYI, those aftermarket tail lights don't match up for colors, I've had a couple of them on parts trucks and are real confusing if you don't realize that.

If you need any other pig tails for a Toyota, let me know, I've been slowly stocking up on different connectors for engine sensors and such.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:01 PM

Hey didn’t explain clearly but previous owners cut end of the taillight harness off and installed trailer style stop turn and taillights. So I will need a pair of your harnesses to wire in the factory tail lamp assemblies. How do I order?

Old 12-03-2021, 09:02 AM

Ahh I see, I was thinking you bought newer tacoma lights and were installing in the older truck (electrically they should just be plug and play).

Here's my ebay listings. You'll want one left and one right, these are both to replace the connector on the truck harness side of the connection.

Left (PT101L) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/19217119435...=10001&mkevt=1
Right (PT101R) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/19217119563...=10001&mkevt=1

I also can make the tail light side of the connector too if you want to convert those lights on the flatbed to be plug and play. Like if you wanted to be able to swap back and forth from stock to flat bed a bit easier. I currently have them in stock, but it causes too much confusion on ebay so once they sell out I'm removing the listings. There's too many people buying them by mistake and returning as doesn't fit which hurts my seller numbers. I can always custom build them no prob for anyone in the future reading this post.

Left (PT110L) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/19271858466...=10001&mkevt=1
Right (PT110R) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/19271858681...=10001&mkevt=1
Old 12-03-2021, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the links I’ll be ordering a pair of the harnesses.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by armalite15
Thanks for the links I’ll be ordering a pair of the harnesses.
No problem, if there's any other pig tails you need, I might be able to make them. I make a ton of misc stuff lol.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:27 AM

Just put in the order thanks again.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:59 AM

Sounds good, thanks!

Quick Reply: Reproduction Tail light harness