General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Door Locks can UN-Lock, but will not Lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Door Locks can UN-Lock, but will not Lock

The power door locks on my 97 4Runner must have Lucas components (insert sarcasm).

I bought the truck used in early December, its an SR5, V-6, with manual trans. It was also equipped with the RS3000 alarm kit (I do not have any FOBs for the truck).

Right now, with the engine running, the door locks will UN-LOCK, but the same switch will not LOCK. The passenger door exhibits the same. The strange thing is this- I can move the power windows into the down position, when I bring the windows to the up position and once they reach the top... the power door locks actuate and the doors lock! As I said there must be Lucas components in the door locks.

As I listed before, the truck was equipped with the RS3000 alarm system. Before the door lock schenanigans, I could insert the key into the door cylinder, two turns clockwise and all doors would unlock. Jump in the truck, insert the key into the ignition cylinder, turn to ACC, then to RUN- then all the doors would lock. Park the car, turn the engine OFF move the ignition cylinder to LOCK, and all of the doors would UN-LOCK. This is not functioning now.

I have searched the forums with no success, I also have the RS3000 manual and I am thinking about performing the "automatic door locking/unlocking function", but no where in the manual can I see the relationship of the windows going to the complete UP position and the doors locking.

Need some help here.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 02-07-2010, 06:22 AM

It's certainly related to that alarm system. Sounds like one of the inputs that it needs is not working. The only thing that I can think to check which would be related to door locks is your door pin triggers that also control the dome light. Does your dome light go off and on with the doors properly? If not, maybe you've got a sticky pin on one of the doors.

The power window angle, that is weird. Only the manual for the alarm and investigating the wiring will answer that one...There is probably an external relay used to power the door locks, that one might be fried or loose. Can you hear any clicking from the alarm module when the doors are supposed to lock or unlock?

Edit: Just thought that it could also be tied to your brake light circuit. Do your brake lights work properly? Does your cruise control work (if you have it?).

Last edited by Beto; 02-07-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:16 AM

Update- I trekked out into the snow yesterday to start to diagnose the truck- and everything was working and was back to normal.

Lucas the The Prince of Darkness strikes again. If you have ever owned or worked on a classic Brittish vehicle, you'll get the reference.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:31 AM

Update Part-II... I have now named my truck Ruby-Sue... which is Cousin Eddies daughter from Christmas Vacation.

Here is the quote "Eddie: She falls down a well, her eyes go cross. She gets kicked by a mule. They go back. I don't know."

I jumped in the truck to go to work yesterday morning - the locks were back to being possessed.

I leave work to go home- after the truck had sat in the sun for most of the day - the locks were normal!

Meet my new truck Ruby-Sue or you can call it Lucas!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:14 AM

I still think that that could be a sticky (maybe freezing?) door pin trigger. It's an easy check, just look for your dome light to be working right, and push and release the door pin trigger by hand. On my manual transmission tacoma the remote starter started acting weird as well, it turned out that 1/2 the time I actually had to pull on the trigger to get it to make contact. Couple of shots of contact cleaner and then some lube and all was well.