General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP '85 22r [CARB] no start with ignition switch...BUT...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP '85 22r [CARB] no start with ignition switch...BUT...

I've been scouring the threads and collecting information to track this down. The situation is I turn the key and faint lights on the dash, but no start, no clicking, nothing. Headlights, wipers barely turn on/ just click and nothing. Batteries are new and fully charged and alts are working. WHEN I HOOK UP A JUMPER BOX TO THE MAIN BATTERY, THE TRUCK STARTS UP JUST FINE AND RUNS...LIGHTS WORK, WIPERS WORK, RADIO, EVERYTHING. AFTER RUNNING IT FOR 15MINS+ I TURN IT OFF AND SAME THING, NO START, NO CRANK, NOTHING AND LIGHTS DON'T WORK.

HERE ARE THE FACTS:
  • 22R MOTOR WITH CARB 3000 MILES ON BOTH, PROFESSIONALLY INSTALLED AND TUNED A YEAR AGO.
  • STARTER A FEW YEARS OLD
  • DUAL BATTERY, DUAL ALTERNATOR INSTALLED BY PREVIOUS OWNER
  • I TESTED BOTH BATTERIES AND ALTERNATORS AND THEY'RE WORKING AND CHARGED.
  • I HAVE NOT TESTED IGNITION SWITCH YET
  • I HAVE NOT LOOKED AT ALL FUSES YET
Also, I don't have a wiring diagram for '85 pickup with CARB. All I can see are diagrams with efi.

Any suggestion of focus areas would be helpful. My next plan is to test power to ignition switch, check fuses, check batt wires/grounds.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdb8100
I've been scouring the threads and collecting information to track this down. The situation is I turn the key and faint lights on the dash, but no start, no clicking, nothing. Headlights, wipers barely turn on/ just click and nothing. Batteries are new and fully charged and alts are working. WHEN I HOOK UP A JUMPER BOX TO THE MAIN BATTERY, THE TRUCK STARTS UP JUST FINE AND RUNS...LIGHTS WORK, WIPERS WORK, RADIO, EVERYTHING. AFTER RUNNING IT FOR 15MINS+ I TURN IT OFF AND SAME THING, NO START, NO CRANK, NOTHING AND LIGHTS DON'T WORK.
  • I TESTED BOTH BATTERIES AND ALTERNATORS AND THEY'RE WORKING AND CHARGED.
My next plan is to test power to ignition switch, check fuses, check batt wires/grounds.
what did you test on the batteries? load test or voltage? tell us what you have for voltage at each battery both running and when shut off!
check your battery cable ends, clean and tighten them and keep in mind that even with good voltage readings a battery can fail a load test.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:42 PM

• I tested both batteries' voltage with vehicle off. They both read approx. 12.75V
  • With the vehicle running I tested voltage on both batteries and they both read approx 14.5V
    • Same as voltage I tested at each alternator.
  • With the vehicle running, I turned on lights, radio, wipers and saw only a small drop at battery voltage.
I need to check/clean the battery connections definitely.

I've started to map the wiring of this dual battery system to see what the PO did, but I don't have any completed visuals yet.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
  • I tested both batteries' voltage with vehicle off. They both read approx. 12.75V
  • With the vehicle running I tested voltage on both batteries and they both read approx 14.5V
    • Same as voltage I tested at each alternator.
  • With the vehicle running, I turned on lights, radio, wipers and saw only a small drop at battery voltage.
I need to check/clean the battery connections definitely.

I've started to map the wiring of this dual battery system to see what the PO did, but I don't have any completed visuals yet.
you still need to load test your batteries if cleaning the cable ends doesn't help
Old 06-25-2018, 04:44 AM

UPDATE:

I worked on the truck this weekend and found the problem. There was a split in the ground wire from the main batter close to the terminal that overtime had filled up with some corrosion and seems at though is was limiting the voltage to the cabin electronics. Replaced the cable and strong voltage everywhere! Thanks for the help all!
Old 06-25-2018, 02:59 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
... There was a split in the ground wire from the main batter close to the terminal that overtime had filled up with some corrosion and seems at though is was limiting the voltage to the cabin electronics. ...
You mean the cable that goes from batt negative to fender ground near fuse block (like this)? Yep, that supplies ground to most, of not all, of cabin electronics. The thicker cable that goes to the engine block is for starter cranking, engine sensors, etc. That needs to be solid and clean as well.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a similar issue, brake and battery light.
Changed Alternator and belt 2 months ago by mechanic, just changed the battery since it was flat (I dont drive alot) and the lights come back when engine is above 2300 rpm.
I suspect there is an issue with the connector but why only above X RPM ?
Old 08-30-2021, 12:24 PM

For me it was vibration. The higher the RMPs the more the vehicle shakes and weak connections show themselves.