General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine runs without fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine runs without fuel pump?

I just purchased my first toyota pickup a few days ago. 1988 22RE 4x4 5 speed. The engine was rebuilt and was being driven until the previous owner got a quote for $5k in body work to make it look pristine. They then decided to hold off on it and parked it. The battery went dead and it sat where it was for 6 years until I bought it. First thing I did was drain the fuel and put a new battery in it. After cranking for a long while several times it fired up and ran rough but got better and better but still would stall out after a few seconds and now won't start at all. The cold start injector is missing it's banjo bolt so it was blocked off with a bolt and nut. I removed the bolt and tried cranking it and no fuel ever came out the cold start injector line. I'm thinking I ran what varnished fuel was in the rail out and no new fuel is making it to the injectors. My question is this, Is the fuel pump on the efi fuse and if so will the engine still run with the efi fuse blown? I hear what I think is the efi relay clicking on the pass side when ignition is on. I haven't spent much time troubleshooting yet. I plan on spending tomorrow working on it and hopefully will figure it out.

Last edited by Travis Poston; 09-18-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:46 AM

Update!
Ok I got it running but it seems like there's a fuel pressure issue. It takes several bumps on the starter before I actually can hold it down to let it start. Once idling it runs ok but off idle it stumbles hard but if I feather the throttle I can get it to rev to a certain spot(about 1500rpm) then it falls on its butt. When I jumper the fuel pump very little fuel flow comes out the CSI line, but I have not checked it at any other spot. I do not see a filter anywhere so I assume it's only got the screen on the pump. My next step will be to check fuel flow before the rail. I guess if a moderator reads this then it can be moved to a more general repair section. Sorry Ive been out of forums since I got rid of my supras years ago so I'm trying to get the hang of it again.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:09 PM

Found the source of my fuel flow issue. Rust!! And lots of it. Seen the symptom before on other vehicles I've worked on so I expected some rust, but not to this extent. Time for a new tank I suppose.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
What you are thinking is rust is mostly a lot of fuel additive build up in the tank. You can replace the tank. If you let the tank soak in white vinegar, you will be surprised at how new the tank will look when done. There will be no pitting or rust holes. It is just build up. I would replace the tank or clean it. Also your Fuel Return Line is most likely clogged and the Return on your Fuel Pump Assembly. I soak the line and assembly in Marvel Mystery Oil and use some high pressure air to clean them out.

Todays fuel is crap and if it sits too long, you get the problems you are showing. I get my Fuel Pumps off of ebay for a lot less then the dealer or parts stores. Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
What you are thinking is rust is mostly a lot of fuel additive build up in the tank. You can replace the tank. If you let the tank soak in white vinegar, you will be surprised at how new the tank will look when done. There will be no pitting or rust holes. It is just build up. I would replace the tank or clean it. Also your Fuel Return Line is most likely clogged and the Return on your Fuel Pump Assembly. I soak the line and assembly in Marvel Mystery Oil and use some high pressure air to clean them out.

Todays fuel is crap and if it sits too long, you get the problems you are showing. I get my Fuel Pumps off of ebay for a lot less then the dealer or parts stores. Welcome to Yotatech.

yea i I already got a new tank on the way. I may try to clean this one too and either sale it or keep it stored away just in case. I'm definitely going to do the marvel oil thing though. I love that stuff. I have a couple walbros left over from my supras lying around my dads house I may go get.