General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Fuse, relay, ecu? At my witts end

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Fuse, relay, ecu? At my witts end

Hello, Im new to this site. Ive actually used it quite a bit, but i just made an account because i have a problem that i could not find anywhere else. My friend has an 88 pickup with the 22re, 200,000 miles. The truck sat for 5 years until back in the spring when he bought it from his uncle. We boosted it off and it started right up. It ran perfectly, had great power, no problems at all. So we moved the truck to his house. The battery was bad, so next time i came up i brought my battery booster. This booster is old, but still works great. Well little did i know, a certain recepticle is his garage was wire up to a 30 amp breaker. This was rigged up, there was no way i couldve known from the outside, it looked normal. When i trurned my booster on to "boost" the analog needle did a 360 all the way around, so i immediately turned it off. And after a not so friendly talk with my friend about it being a 30 amp and not telling me (apparently he somehow didnt know either), i hooked it up to a regular plug in that i CHECKED to make sure it was ok. Now, the truck will just crank and crank. It will not even try to start. We checked the fuses underneath tge steering column and theyre all OK. No matter we do, it just cranks and cranks whereas before it started right up, even after sitting for 5 years, and when we first started it, it was 20 F outside! After messing with it, i got a spray bottle and filled it with gasoline. I had him crank it and if i continuosly spray fuel into the intake, the engine will actually run until my hand gets tired! What did that surge of electricity do? Keep in mind my booster is from the 80s and has no surge protection, so it sent all that juice straight to the truck. The only thing i can think of now is the ECU. Where is it located, and is it hard to replace? Or could it be something else? Btw, there is great pressure from the fuel pump. Any help would be appreciated, we are about to give up at this point, and it is very important that we get this truck running. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2017, 12:07 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I think what your trying to say is some idiot wired a 120VAC outlet for 230VAC

Just what model battery charger do you own??

I am sure if your battery charger still works you did no damage to the vehicle ..

After all the battery charger is just a transformer and a rectifier

Did you neglect to mention draining the old gas and getting fresh gas in the system .

Did you drive the vehicle home or tow it??

Back to the basics spark fuel and air

Jumper the fuel pump at the check connector FP B+ see if that gets you fuel.

The rust and dirt in the lines is now restricting the fuel flow

Could be the EFI Relay or Circuit Opening relay just are old and tired
Old 09-23-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandler Gourley
... 30 amp breaker. ... The only thing i can think of now is the ECU. ...!
30-Amp breaker at 110V has nothing to do with you sending too much voltage to your truck's electronics. The booster (whatever that is) is probably a fault IF it put out more than the 12V your truck needs.
Don't think ECU right away. Start simple. Got a multi-meter? Next only to our senses, it is the most important electrical troubleshooting tool.
Got a paper clip? Like Wyoming says check the fuel pump and circuit-opening relay function:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199.../#post51939375

https://www.staples.com/Staples-1-Si...product_472480

Originally Posted by wyoming9
...230 volts...
Jumper the fuel pump at the check connector FP B+ see if that gets you fuel./quote]
https://www.staples.com/Staples-1-Size-Paper-Clips-Smooth-1-000-Pack/product_472480]Here's the special tool for that[/url]...

Could be the EFI Relay or Circuit Opening relay just are old and tired
Originally Posted by Chandler Gourley
... 30 amp breaker. ... The only thing i can think of now is the ECU. ...!
30-Amp breaker at 110V has nothing to do with you sending too much voltage to your truck's electronics. The booster (whatever that is) is probably a fault IF it put out more than the 12V your truck needs.
Don't think ECU right away. Start simple. Got a multi-meter? Next only to our senses, it is the most important electrical troubleshooting tool.
Got a paper clip? Like Wyoming says check the fuel pump and circuit-opening relay function: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199.../#post51939375
Old 10-14-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a Picture of my Toyota Shop Manual ...you notice in the Picture of my Fuse Box under the dash drivers side kick panel there is no little second fuse box area. hmm so where is the ECU - IG Fuse ? does anyone know? please help.. Thanks again