General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS/Brake/VSC Trac light on - shop unplugged something

Old 12-28-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ABS/Brake/VSC Trac light on - shop unplugged something

I brought my 4th gen 4runner in to a local kirkland, wa shop to have my front levelled out and when I picked it up they were near closing time. They pointed out that the ABS light, the brake light, the VSC trac and VSC Off lights is on since they had to unplug the battery while they did their work and will will correct itself in a few miles - I noticed while driving home that the rear windshield wiper, defroster and remote rear window roll down no longer work either. I called them up and they said to return the next day - which didn't work for my schedule.

The idiot lights never turned off after 400 miles (4 days of commute)

Only a few days later I stopped by their shop after the 1st snow here and most folks were not in so the one guy there simply asked to borrow my toyota manual to figure the issue out and return in a few days - as their work shouldn't have had anything to do with the the issues I'm seeing now. Too much of a coincidence - I suspect something was indeed unplugged accidentally at the very least or some fuse blew.

It has been another week since I was supposed to stop by - I have not been back Due to 1 foot of snow on my little hill and across puget sound and I've been driving the Jeep instead (and that I cannot trust that my ABS light means that ABS is really disabled - kinda dangerous if you cannot trust your rig, I wish these shops would understand this )

I already swapped out one fuse directly labeled rear windshield wiper but that wasn't it.

Anyone have any idea what this might be so that I can fix this myself?

They have my manual still - so it would be greatly appeciated if you think it is a fuse - to provide details on where the fuse may be.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:59 PM

Oh I forgot to mention - when I power accelerated on uneven slippery ground their is a gear meshing noise (vsc trac?). I've heard this same noise before when I had to power up a hill while I was still rolling backwards after I first got the rig. (I had to over take on the left lanes white line the other day due to a meandering truck eating a donut or something)
Old 12-30-2008, 03:46 PM

My guess is it needs one of two things:
1) The ABS wire to the brake is very fragile and very easy to pinch or pull when putting in a front lift. The wire is available through Toyota for about $50
2) The VSC can need to be 'reset' after lifts and/or larger tires are installed. The procedure is no big deal and often called a zero point calibration.

Good luck!

Last edited by CJ3Flyr; 12-30-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:04 AM

Great I'll see if I can find the wire. Thanks!

Wonder if that would mysteriously disable the rear window stuff too.