General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 pickup - manual crank to power window questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 09:05 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
91 pickup - manual crank to power window questions

has anyone ever used any of the products that convert manual crank windows to power windows?

these these

im curious how well they work before i buy them. and i want to know whether this will stop on their own once they reach the top and bottom? or could you potentially burn out the motor or strip the gears if you dont stop pressing the button?

also, why do some many people go the other way with it? power to manual that is.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:16 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Genera_lee

also, why do some many people go the other way with it? power to manual that is.
Someone t-bones you on the passenger side, your hood and fender buckles shorting the battery positive to the hood, sparks are flying and fuel is leaking. What is your escape route? You hit the door release to find the cabin is pinched and the door doesn't open. You mash the window controller and have no power. Now your engine bay is billowing smoke! Do you have an emergency hammer, can you find it in the chaos that is your once orderly interior!

Yeah that happens more often than it is pleasant to thing about..

It is a convince trade off do you want to be able to roll up a passenger side window while cruising down the highway without leaving over (crash hazard) versus knowing the window is going to operate reliable in almost any case that wouldn't have shattered the glass..

Kicking out laminated glass (windshield) is alot harder than you might expect, and shattering side glass with out the right tool is laughable at best..

Ever seen the videos of cops trying to open a side window with a baton or maglight? Wrong tool, place a screwdriver in the window jam lever and twist, a five year old can do it, try with a "safety hammer" you might get fatigued..
Old 04-03-2018, 11:43 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have to think as glass ages it gets more brittle .

I broke two drivers side windows with my elbow just fishing for the seat belt learned that lesson after the ER trip.

Any Kit that says universal fit most often means lots of fabrication but after hours of work it will fit
Old 04-04-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Genera_lee
Has anyone ever used any of the products that convert manual crank windows to power windows?

like these

I'm curious how well they work before i buy them. and i want to know whether this will stop on their own once they reach the top and bottom? or could you potentially burn out the motor or strip the gears if you don't stop pressing the button?

Also, why do some many people go the other way with it? power to manual that is.
I am not sure how well that system will fit. Being universal, they will most likely require some modification to fit/work. One reviewer has a short video of the kit working on a 1992 Toyota pickup, so it will work, but the reviewer never said how easy or difficult the install was.

You could also install the factory power window system from a donor truck. If you have all of the parts from the donor truck, this would be the easiest because you know all of the parts were designed to fit your truck. If I had access to factory parts, that is the route I would go.

I think power vs. manual windows is just a personal preference, just like going with the 22R over the 22R-E; carbureted vs. fuel injection debate.

I like the simplicity of manual windows and you can roll them up and down at any time, even with a dead battery. However, I like electric windows because I can roll them both down anytime while I am driving and don't have to lean over to roll down the passenger side.

Last edited by old87yota; 04-04-2018 at 08:41 AM.