General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the 84-89 truck cluster swap guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the 84-89 truck cluster swap guys

Ok so i picked up a cluster from an 85 sr5 4runner to swap in my 87DLX I figured the tach out by searching but heres the issues i have run in to. My gas gauge always says its full. Im sure i have like 1/2 tank or so. how do i fix this one and Rather then put the tach wire on the screw in the back can someone tell me what posision in the plug its supposed to be? My truck was not wired for a factory tach. Is there any wires i need to swap that im not seeing signs of something wrong yet? I drove the truck abou 4 miles and let it run for a while and didnt see anything other then that and my temp gauge reads different then my old cluster. I have an electric fan set to come on pretty early(on the old cluster) and on this one its coming on at normal temp. This has been a huge deal to swap it so far and id just like to wrap it up this last time. Im going to get all new bulbs rather then the used ones i barrowed from other clusters i had so it doesnt have to come out again.

Thanks
Russell
Old 11-07-2007, 04:14 AM

Search ToyotaNation for information on the swap. I'm pretty sure that is where I found the tech article and pictures to show how to cram your new tach wire into the right part of the plug on the back of the cluster. I guess you know to run a wire through the firewall from the cluster to where the ignition coil is, there by the coil shall ye find an empty green plug of a single wire, use a spade connector on your new wire to plug in to it. I used the cluster from a 1988 4Runner SR5 V-6 in my 1985 2wd base truck. I had to recalibrate the tach for the 4 cylinder (you take the cluster apart, remove the speedo so you have access to the side of the tach where the potentiometer is, temporarily set the cluster in place, run the vehicle with an accurate rev counter/dwell meter, and adjust the tach out.) I also replaced the oil pressure sending unit with the gauge type to replace my idiot light model before putting in the cluster. The idiot light sending unit will ruin the oil pressure gauge if left in. The gas gauge works perfectly, so I suspect your new gas gauge is stuck. If your cluster came out of a wrecked truck that has been in the junk yard for a while, like mine was, I strongly recommend taking each gauge out of the cluster and going after them with contact cleaner. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just bid on a 85 sr5 cluster on ebay to put in my 88 truck. i hope i dont have any of these probs... haha. it seems to be wired for a tach... no loose green connections. and its wired and has the harness /adapter for air conditioning, but no a/c. its got a bunch of stuff. anyways, the cluster came from a 22RE, and its going into my truck, which is also a 22RE. i SHOULD be fine, right?

Last edited by ozziesironmanoffroad; 11-07-2007 at 04:37 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
i just bid on a 85 sr5 cluster on ebay to put in my 88 truck. i hope i dont have any of these probs... haha. it seems to be wired for a tach... no loose green connections. and its wired and has the harness /adapter for air conditioning, but no a/c. its got a bunch of stuff. anyways, the cluster came from a 22RE, and its going into my truck, which is also a 22RE. i SHOULD be fine, right?

From what im reading you should be able to just plug it in. Mine was not wired for a tach so i had to run the tach wire and all of that stuff...
Old 11-08-2007, 03:23 PM

What you need to do is get a wiring diagram from the 85 SR5 and the 87 DLX, and then just simply figure out what colored wires go where. I'm assuming the connectors are not the same?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:22 PM

You can look at the printed circuit board! Follow it from the tach location on the cluster and find out which plug it goes into.

As for the gas gauge, I've "heard" you can adjust it by rotating the float assembly on the gas tank. It shouldn't matter if you're going between carb and EFI or vice versa. I got lucky and everything worked on mine.

By the way, did you replace the oil sending unit first!?!?!?!
You need the SR5 "gauge type" as opposed to the basic "dummy light" type. Not doing so will blow out your oil gauge.