General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 2WD PU--Suggestions for "Stealth" Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1989 2WD PU--Suggestions for "Stealth" Lights?

As a new Tiny Pickup (painted 8E2 dark blue, and no 3rd brake light) owner, I'm concerned about not being visible enough to other drivers. But I don't necessarily want seriously powerful off-road lights, and I'd like to stay close to a stock look. So I'd like to find a make/model of auxiliary light I can mount front and rear that I can "hide" (a) in the front bumper fairing and (b) flanking/above the rear license plate. I'd mostly just be using the fronts for fogs, and the rears for work lights. Bonus points for rears that have red lenses available for extra safety in snowstorms.

I'm hoping someone else here has done this add-on, and knows what's available and can steer me the right way for these needs and locations.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2017, 06:02 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Consider:
1) Replacing the 194 bulbs in markers/parking lights with 921 LEDs - If they would fit the housings. I believe (based on habanero's thread and RWoregon's post on same thread) they use same T10 base.
A couple of things I'm looking at are: This and
this this

2) Replacing stock incandescent turn and brake bulbs with LED 1156's that would fit in socket and housing.

3) Using corner/marker lights as turn signals as well. Here is how mine is currently wired (I added side-facing marker lights). For ultimate visibility using both marker and turn signals to "mark" and "blink" this is eventually how I plan to wire them. Looks will remain stock.

Bonus points for rears that have red lenses available for extra safety in snowstorms.
aka rear fog lights. That is a sensible solution for times of poor visibility. Commonly used in Europe for many years. I noticed a Porsche Cayenne sporting them a few weeks ago in here So Cal. A practical, inexpensive solution, I'm also considering is this LED hitch cover brake light from Harbor Freight wired to a separate switch. Being mounted on the hitch, it is also at an ideal spot; lower than the normal brake lights.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-10-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Consider:
1) Replacing the 194 bulbs in markers/parking lights with 921 LEDs - If they would fit the housings. I believe (based on habanero's thread and RWoregon's post on same thread) they use same T10 base.
A couple of things I'm looking at are: This and this

2) Replacing stock incandescent turn and brake bulbs with LED 1156's that would fit in socket and housing.

3) Using corner/marker lights as turn signals as well. Here is how mine is currently wired (I added side-facing marker lights). For ultimate visibility using both marker and turn signals to "mark" and "blink" this is eventually how I plan to wire them. Looks will remain stock.
Thanks. This is a great suggestion for visibility. However, if I can find the right-sized set of small aux lights that will work for hidden fogs/worklights, I'd like to go that route. Something that will throw the kind of light like those old rubber-coated NAPA 4" floods every farmer I know had on his bumper. I just want to hide the ugly things

Thanks Again,
Kaleo!
Old 04-10-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
I wonder if one of these would fit IN your grille...

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

OR you can consolidate your marker and turn signal into the corner marker, mount the above in place of the bumper-mounted turn signals. That WAS my idea until I decided I'll put legit rectangular fog lights (from Pathfinder/XTerrra) in that vacated spot.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
I wonder if one of these would fit IN your grille...

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Headlight-Waterproof-Dustproof-Shockproof/dp/B00GLLW3AM/ref=pd_sbs_263_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MXNWRMNFPYY8 WP22MP3A

https://www.amazon.com/Senlips-Lights-Waterproof-Off-road-Vehicle/dp/B00R75NK1M/ref=pd_sim_263_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RADSYDSA9JZX 8S4H10YY#Ask

https://www.amazon.com/Kawell-K5-5118-6-2-Inch-1170LM-Waterproof/dp/B00GJKXW8M/ref=pd_sbs_263_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YR5JMT8FVD5J 3P61JYWG

OR you can consolidate your marker and turn signal into the corner marker, mount the above in place of the bumper-mounted turn signals. That WAS my idea until I decided I'll put legit rectangular fog lights (from Pathfinder/XTerrra) in that vacated spot.
Thanks. Those would definitely work behind the grill and front valence. Maybe above the rear plate, too. Or maybe a 4-LED square in the openings flanking the rear plate. I'll check the measurements and clearances.