YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131/)
-   -   1987 Toytoa Pickup electrical questions (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131/1987-toytoa-pickup-electrical-questions-304987/)

ADVJB2 07-09-2018 10:16 AM

1987 Toytoa Pickup electrical questions

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
This weekend I picked up a lifted 1987 Toyota Pickup for cheap. I fully expected to do some work on it, but there are a few things that I'm thinking may be beyond my abilities. Wanted to get some opinions. I have done plenty of work on motorcycles, but this is my first truck.

Anyway, the previous owner let me know before I bought it that the dash gauges don't work. However, I filled it with fuel and that gauge does appear to be working. But speed/odometer/lights do nothing. However, the truck runs fine, and the lights do work. With this limited information, does this seem like something that can be easily fixed, or should I take it to a professional?

Thanks, and sorry for the newbie questions.

wyoming9 07-09-2018 11:12 AM

No time like now to learn how to fix these things .

If you don`t have a Multi meter now would be a good time

Big difference between gauges not working and the gauge lights not working

Does this just have the Fuel gauge and Temperature gauge ??

Speedometer might be the cable is disconnected or broken

L5wolvesf 07-09-2018 05:55 PM

Along with what Wyo said.
I would take a look under and behind the dash to see what, if anything, looks off (burnt, cut, hacked into, etc.)
Same under the hood.
Also, get a manual that has wiring diagram.

old87yota 07-10-2018 09:22 AM

:coffee:

Can you describe what exactly does not work?

What lights are you referring to? Warning lights? Instrument back lighting? Headlights?

If you are missing the back lighting, did you adjust the dimmer rheostat just below and to the left of the steering wheel? It should have an image of a light bulb on the knob.

Does your gauge cluster have a tachometer, oil pressure meter, or volt meter? If so, you have the SR5 gauge cluster. If not, you have the standard gauge cluster.

No matter what gauge cluster you have, the speedometers for the 1987 model year Trucks are driven by a mechanical speedometer cable that attaches to the back of the cluster on one end and to the transfer case one the other. The odometer is connected by gears to the speedometer. There are no electronics involved in the operation of the speedometer or odometer. Since both the speedometer and the odometer do not work, I suspect the cable is the issue. The cable may have come loose from one of the connections, broke from many years of use, or might be missing all together.

:safari:

RAD4Runner 07-10-2018 02:29 PM

Yes^^^ Pls see signature.

ADVJB2 07-11-2018 09:42 AM

Thanks for the replies here guys. I have messed with the dimmer, there are no lights at all showing up on the dash. None of the gauges move except for the fuel, but it's not clear how accurate that is yet since the previous owner said it didn't work at all. I've only been doing little things so far after work, like repairing all the turn signals/headlights. Finally got that finished. I will look into ordering a new speedometer cable, that sounds like a good place to start. I definitely need a wiring diagram, there are a ton of cut and spliced wires of all colors hanging under the gauge cluster. Appreciate all the input here. I need to make more time for this thing, but motorcycle camping on the weekends keeps calling to me.

RAD4Runner 07-12-2018 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by ADVJB2 (Post 52403050)
Thanks for the replies here guys. I have messed with the dimmer, there are no lights at all showing up on the dash.

Dash Illumination (Backlight)

None of the gauges move except for the fuel,
Combo Meter aka Gauges Schematic and Test Points here.