General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 4Runner rear window/wiper function repair shop arguement

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 4Runner rear window/wiper function repair shop arguement

I took my wife's 04 4Runner in for repair two weeks ago because the accelaerator did not work. It turns out that the cable that goes from the accelerator to the computer had been worn in some way and needed to be replaced. In making this repair, the battery was disconnected. I have proof of this because the radio lost its settings.

Two weeks later we had a snow storm, and I found that the rear window wiper/washer did not work. As it turns out, the rear window did not work either. I took the car in to be fixed thinking that the original "fix" may have been related, but "coincidences" do happen. The repair shop said they basically disconnected the control panel for the back window and then reconnected it and everything seems fine. I paid them for the service and went on my way.

My wife, however, was furious that I paid them because it was obvious to her that they broke it. Not one to be confrontational, and not wanting to anger our repair shop, which I trust for the most part, I preferred to walk off less my $90 labor charge. My wife, on the other hand, decided to call the shop, argued with them, threatened to cancel the AMEX charge and to see them in court if necessary. Somewhere along the way I guess they decided to drop the charge.

After doing some more research, it seems to me that the repair shop probably did "break it". I saw a post that mentioned the rear window controller potentially needs to be reset after disconnecting the battery. Is this true? If that is the case, I think the responsibility should lie with the repair shop. On the other hand, I still have the issue with confronting/angering the shop over the matter and ultimately having to find a new garage because I don't know if I will trust them moving forward.

I would appreciate any advice on 1) If the shop is to blame and 2) Is it worth having to find a new garage?
Old 12-18-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This is not true on my 02. Not sure about the 04, though. It seems sort of strange that it would be like that, but who knows.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a common issue on the 3rd gens is that once the rear window has lost it's "memory"-that memory has to be reset. I don't pretend to know the 4th gens but the symptoms you describe are identical to those posted amongst us 3rd gen owners on T4R.org.

It is as simple as using your key fob to lower the window or you may have to do it at the keyed switch on the cargo door itself . Put the window down and then put it back up all the way. This generally re-sets the memory and then allows the rear window defrost and the rear wiper and the rear window travel to function as normal.

Your shop did not necessarily do anything "wrong", but at the same time they did not leave your vehicle in the condition it was brought in. It is most likely a simple education issue for you, the wife and the repair shop.

You can of course also check fuses and so on, but it does sound like the "memory" that is being affected. Let us know if that does not do the trick....
Old 12-18-2007, 01:47 PM

X2
Old 04-18-2009, 11:36 PM

i have this same problem.. i hooked up my cb radio 2 my car. And disconnected the battery during install.... and my rear window squirter does not work.. so how do you reset the window?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Same issue happened with my 2004 4Runner today. Installed new battery and rear wiper/washer stopped working. Fully lowered, then fully raised the rear window and everything is back to normal.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 PM

Fixed!

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
a common issue on the 3rd gens is that once the rear window has lost it's "memory"-that memory has to be reset. I don't pretend to know the 4th gens but the symptoms you describe are identical to those posted amongst us 3rd gen owners on T4R.org.

It is as simple as using your key fob to lower the window or you may have to do it at the keyed switch on the cargo door itself . Put the window down and then put it back up all the way. This generally re-sets the memory and then allows the rear window defrost and the rear wiper and the rear window travel to function as normal.

Your shop did not necessarily do anything "wrong", but at the same time they did not leave your vehicle in the condition it was brought in. It is most likely a simple education issue for you, the wife and the repair shop.

You can of course also check fuses and so on, but it does sound like the "memory" that is being affected. Let us know if that does not do the trick....
Thanks for that information, you probably saved me lots of $$$$ ... I just spent a few hours trying to figure out the problem..I did change out the baterry a few months ago and haven't had to use the wiper since then, and when we went up to Oregon, found that it didn't work while on the road.. when we came home, I checked every fuse, banged on relays ( very lightly) to find the problem and nothing worked... when I read your post, I couldn't believe that it would be that simple, but I went and tried your trick and sure enough, it worked. Why would Toyota do something this stupid... they built good cars and so why would they want they do such a thing... anyway, got it, it works and I can't thank you enough for this post! Jack
Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
glad to have helped all of you-that is what this is all about-I only chime in when I think I sort of know what I am talking about...so many people here have helped me.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:22 AM

Ron,
My daughter just purchased a 2008 4Runner, had it serviced and when it was raining yesterday the rear wiper would not work...I have not had a chance to look up the fuse for the rear wiper but after seeing this thread I did not know anything about a reset. Is this a problem for the 08 4Runner as well?