Old Man Emu (OME) Steering Stabilizer 2nd Gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old Man Emu (OME) Steering Stabilizer 2nd Gen 4Runner

Old Man Emu Steering Stabilizer Installation on a 2nd Gen 4Runner

11/26/2002

Joey (UKMyers on the forums) shows you how he put the OME (Old Man Emu) steering stabilizer on his rig.

Tools Required:
Breaker Bar
Ratchet
12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm sockets with 3 inch extension
BFH (Big #%^$# Hammer)
Pickle Fork
Pliers

Time Required: 45 minutes to an Hour

Available for purchase here: 4x4 Connection

Installation:
The First thing you need to do is remove the skid plate by taking out the four 12mm bolts that hold it on. Once you have it off you'll have access to the factory stabilizer.Take the 14mm nut off the side that is bolted to frame first. (Left side if your standing there looking at it.) You might have to hold the bolt head with an end wrench. On the other side there is a cotter pin that you have to remove. You can mangle it if need be to remove because you will not be re- using it.

After removing the cotter pin there's a 17mm nut that must be removed. This is where the breaker bar came in handy because it is a strange angle.
After that is removed use the Pickle Fork and the BFH to pop the stud end out of the hole. This procedure is similar to doing tie rods or ball joints. It only took a couple good whacks and it popped right off. Once you get the old stabilizer out set it down next to the OME one and take a few moments to laugh at how pathetic it looks. The OME stabilizer has a 35mm bore and a 9 stage valving system! The old one has….. well not that!

Putting in the new stabilizer on is pretty simple. The first thing you have to do is install the new stud system. One end goes through the rubber grommet. I used a knife to taper the rubber slightly to assist in this.

After pushing it through put the big washer that's included with the new stabilizer behind the other side and tighten it down using the included 19mm Nylock Nut. Your now ready to install the new stabilizer. I bolted on the frame end first and just hand tightened it. Next push the new stud through the old hole and tap in place with the BFH. Install the 2nd included 19mm nut on the back of the stud and tighten. Finally tighten the frame end 14mm bolt. Reinstall the skid plate and your all done!

Here is the hole that the stud goes through. When I pickle forked the old one it blew all the grease out of the cheesy seal.

Overall I am very happy with the results of this mod. Before it seemed I was getting a lot of feedback through the steering wheel both on and off road. With the new stabilizer installed the whole front end feels much more solid, especially when driving on rough ground. It doesn't even feel like the steering wheel is connected the wheels anymore. I highly recommend this mod if you have upgraded to 32” tires, you wheel a lot, or your truck just doesn't drive the way it used to. Coming next Bilstein and Downey combo installation!

If you choose to do this mod good luck, and if you have any questions contact UKMyers on the Yotatech Forum.