Custom Home Made Hand Throttle , 2nd Gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Custom Home Made Hand Throttle , 2nd Gen 4Runner

Hand Throttle Installed On A 2nd Gen 4Runner
7/3/2003
Chris (OicnaiC on the forums) shows you how he installed a hand throttle in his 4Runner to improve his off road fun.

Required Objects:
1 Bike Shifter (preferably front shifter)
About 6’- 7’ of shifter cable with sleeve
1/16” swege (for shifter cable)
Various, random, garage accessories.

This is how I made an old bike shifter into a hand throttle on my ’91 4Runner.
This mod is for the 3.0 V6 with 5 speed manual transmission and cruise control, other engines may be similar but I don't know. I'm not sure if it can be done with an automatic tranny but I don't know why not.

First step was to gather parts. I went up to a local Sun & Ski sports (similar to REI but not as cool) and bought 7 ft of shifter cable and the shifter, total was like $9 and some change. It really doesn't matter what kind of shifter but if you use the front shifter it is smoother and turns more than the rear shifter. Make sure you get the cover/sleeve for the cable, get it about the same length as the cable.

Next is coming up with a bracket to mount the cable on the engine. This can be done many different ways. I just found some odd little part in my garage and cut it, drilled it and attached it to the cruise control bracket. Another way is to drill a hole in the existing cruise control bracket.

Now mount the bike shifter wherever you wish. I mounted mine on my shifter.
I sliced some fuel line I had lying around to wrap around the shifter so the bike shifter would clamp down tight, this could be done with a lot of different things. I then ran the shifter cable sleeve through the firewall (it's easiest to start in the engine compartment) and up the shifter boot so it is completely hidden. Then run the cable through the bike shifter and the sleeve.

In the engine compartment determine how long you need the cable and cut the excess off. Run the cable through your bracket or hole, making sure the sleeve cannot slide with the cable. Slide the cable through the same hole as the cruise control. Swege the end of the shifter cable so it cannot slide back through the hole. Adjust the cable and such and your done.

Note:
The shifter cable was binding the cruise control cable because of the tight fit, luckily my girlfriend was helping me and suggested to trim the cover on the cruise cable. This freed up just enough room and solved the problem.
Thank God for smart women.

This could also be done by connecting to the throttle cable but I decided to hook to the cruise control since it would be easier. This is just what I did, I'm not a pro, but I hope this helps.

If you choose to do this mod good luck, and if you have any questions (OicnaiC) on the Yotatech Forum.

Administration's note:
This mod should also work in the trucks of the same engine configuration and years.