Electrical Electrical and wiring

Parking Light/Turn Signal Mod (no drilling or cutting)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Parking Light/Turn Signal Mod (no drilling or cutting)

April, 22 2010

The front turn signals on the 4runners, and tacomas are located on the front face of the car, so if you are anywhere to the side, or in my blind spot, the blinkers just cannot be seen.

I've seen similar mods but they either required drilling, or only worked when the parking lights were on, or the parking light would flash when the stock blinkers would dim and vice versa like GM cars. There are some where you have to use a dual filaments, or involved adding another bulb. I felt those routes would be very time consuming, and would probably be harder to make the install look nice.

I knew something like this could be done through wiriring, and didn't want to make any mods to the housing and wanted it to flash simultaneously, so browsing the12volt.com forums, I found this.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...p?TID=83462&KW

And adjusted for our toyotas...

Also, the way I installed it, I can easily remove it in a few seconds and return it to stock condition.

Again, just to note, when the relay is powered, the turn signal circuit will be powering both bulbs. (When not in use, the parking light circuit will power the parking light) I am using LED bulbs so the load is significantly lowered, so I didn't see a problem with doing this. I think it should work the same with halogens, but can't say for sure as I never tried it with halogen bulbs. You should at least get LED's for your parking light, but the flashing sequence will look off. (I have a old post on here somewhere showing a video of that.)

The 194 LED's bulbs are not as bright as halogens, but I found out I was able to put a 921 bulb in it, and I bought these 18 smt led bulbs. Although last time I checked, I've seen bulbs with up to 27 smt leds! I also tried the 25 mini smt led bulb but a lot of the leds started to crap out eventually. The 18 smt's are brighter than the 25 minis, but the mini had a glow that was close to a halogens. This really doesn't matter from far, but up close you can tell I have led bulbs in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhamYCVm6i4

Here are more pics....

Currently, I am hand making these for my customers, which can make them quite pricey. I am currently in talks with a manufacturer to have these mass produced. Please visit www.thecartists.com for more info on purchasing.
The following users liked this post:
scooubasteve (03-14-2022)