Electrical Electrical and wiring

1st Gen 4Runner 3-Gang Switch Panel Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1st Gen 4Runner 3-Gang Switch Panel Install

I have a 1989 4Runner SR5 V6 Auto trans that I am in the middle of building up for as a trail/expedition type rig. I just added an ARB bumper and PIAA driving lights. The PIAA switch was kind of hokey, a push button thing that you stick to the dash. The dash panel area to the left of the steering column has been an area that I have been eyeing for a while.

Since I have an auto rig, I do not have a clutch cancel button over there, just a filler plate in that hole. I did some looking around and found some Euro style rocker switches from Daystar on Summit Racing. I then found them on Amazon.com for way cheaper. After receiving the switches I saw that they were actually made by Carling Technologies, so, I cruised on over to their website. They are a large switch manufacturer for the OEM's and marine industry. They also make a 3 gang switch panel insert for their Contura II line of swtiches, which is what the Daystar swtiches are. So, I ordered that panel up from Digi-Key, an electronics supply house that I use at work.

The swtiches are quality units, 20 amp rated, on/off with an LED light when they are on. Overkill for what I am doing, as am running everything off of relays, but they are just so nice, had to have them.

Pictures of the switches and panel:

The panel requires a 1.90 x 3.05 " cutout. This is a perfect fit width wise and just a bit tight on height for the area next to the column. I started with the clutch cancel cutout as the reference in the upper left corner. I then cut sideways along the top and down along the left. I used a piece of a hacksaw balde mounted in my hand drywall saw, slow and careful. I also cut it undersize and then filed it out to size with a rasp. I used digital calipers and straight edges to verify I was getting everything square and level. It took about 1/2 hour to cut the opening and file it to size.

Pictures of the opening:

The panel just pops right in. It fits varying thicknesses of material with it's barbed retention fingers. It is also fairly easy to remove, just push on the fingers from the back with a flat blade screwdriver and work your way around, it will slowly work it's way out.

The switches pop into the bezel with their own barbed wings. They are also easy to take back out with flat blade screwdriver.

Pictures of the switches installed in the dash panel:

I did have to hack one small bracket in the dash to clear the switches. It is plastic and was a quick mod with the hacksaw blade. Also, the screw that attaches the dash panel to this bracket should be cut down to minimum length. Otherwise it hits the switch bezel insert.

And here is the finished install. Very clean, almost looks factory.

Now I need to wire in the driving lights and install my LED backup lights. The third switch is going to be for fog lights, at some point.

P/N's and links:

Switches: Daystar KU80012 , also offered in red, blue, and amber.
Carling Technologies Contura II switch family.
Amazon.com: $10.95 each, free shipping over $25

Bezel: Carling Technologies VM3-01
Digi-key P/N: 432-1107-ND ($5 Plus Shipping)
Carling also makes a six gang and a modular panel system
with end caps and a center section, dovetails together.

Links

Daystar:

http://daystarweb.com

Carling Technologies:

http://rocker-switches.carlingtech.c...switch__19.asp

Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Daystar-KU8001...2381336&sr=8-1

Digi-Key:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=432-1107-ND