YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   Would you buy a DIY instructional DVD on repairing your 22re? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/would-you-buy-diy-instructional-dvd-repairing-your-22re-123963/)

YotaJunky 09-04-2007 01:58 PM

Would you buy a DIY instructional DVD on repairing your 22re?

I've been seriously toying (pun intended) with the idea of shooting, editing and authoring DVDs for repairing trucks and 4runners with 22re engines.

I'm thinking about starting it small with separate segments on spark plug changes, radiator replacements, alternator repairs and working up to doing timing chains, and eventually doing complete rebuilds of top and bottom ends.

Do you think DIYers would buy the DVD and how much do you think people would pay? I was thinking about an a la carte deal where you could pick the segments you wanted to buy.

Troy

rootedtree 09-04-2007 02:03 PM

How about for the 3vze?

BluYot 09-04-2007 02:03 PM

Ya for sure I'd buy it...provided it wasn't ridiculously expensive. Good idea on the segments too. I suppose as long as you are clear and concise and have good shots it would be well worth it. Do it up!...hey just noticed to, you're from Van so I wouldn't have to pay any damn border tax!

linuxrunner 09-04-2007 02:06 PM

I would diffinetly buy one... when can i order it? :hillbill:

YotaJunky 09-04-2007 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by rootedtree (Post 50607737)
How about for the 3vze?

I like the 2.4L a whole lot better for ease of reparing and the aftermarket support.

Troy

surf4runner 09-04-2007 02:17 PM

cool idea.
ive seen similiar avail (produced LOW budget) for $5

BluYot 09-04-2007 05:14 PM

I would pay good money especially if you were doing timing chain, electrical, clutch and rebuilds top/bottom...it's one thing reading about it but it would be nice insurance to see it and to instill some confidence in myself as a 'backyard' mechanic....I'm sure there are others ou there like me on this forum...maybe not...now I feel foolish....disregard. I think spending a little $$$ would save in the end by avoiding costly mistakes. So again...do it up! Baindledeedangdleeedandleeeewahwahwahwahhhhh!!:roc kin:

YotaJunky 09-04-2007 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by BluYot (Post 50607857)
I would pay good money especially if you were doing timing chain, electrical, clutch and rebuilds top/bottom...it's one thing reading about it but it would be nice insurance to see it and to instill some confidence in myself as a 'backyard' mechanic....I'm sure there are others ou there like me on this forum...maybe not...now I feel foolish....disregard. I think spending a little $$$ would save in the end by avoiding costly mistakes. So again...do it up! Baindledeedangdleeedandleeeewahwahwahwahhhhh!!:roc kin:

This all sounds very encouraging to me. I wanted to get feedback from experienced and novice Yotatechers before embarking on this project. These videos will definitely be geared towards the 'backyard mechanic' and include tips on getting it done with basic tools and techniques that I've learned from experience and others. As I said, I think it would be beneficial for most to have an a la carte menu where you can pick and choose those projects you want to tackle. This will keep costs down and I was thinking about bundling DVD's with laminated instruction sheets (so grease doesn't destroy them) to use while working on your trucks as another aid to supplement the videos. I've learned that it's very difficult to keep your hands clean while everything else is either dirty or greasy.

Any other comments or suggestions?

Troy

sdstud212001 09-04-2007 07:29 PM

I would have to say no, not trying to be mean but who would buy it? People on yotatech? why wouldn't they just use yotatech for help. This is just me, I gladly help for free when I can and so do most people here. I feel we should all be compensated for our work but, a place like yotatech the compensation is getting help later, geting ideas on mods, getting together with other yotatechers, and so forth. If you feel ambitious I say go for it, but dont do it for $ do it to help others and if you make some $ it's a bonus

YotaJunky 09-04-2007 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by sdstud212001 (Post 50607989)
I would have to say no, not trying to be mean but who would buy it? People on yotatech? why wouldn't they just use yotatech for help. This is just me, I gladly help for free when I can and so do most people here. I feel we should all be compensated for our work but, a place like yotatech the compensation is getting help later, geting ideas on mods, getting together with other yotatechers, and so forth. If you feel ambitious I say go for it, but dont do it for $ do it to help others and if you make some $ it's a bonus

Thanks for your honest feedback. I appreciate it. That's why I'm doing due diligence to see what kind of opinions are out there. Also, the target market isn't just yotatechers. I was planning to have a website for selling the DVDs.

Keep them coming!

Troy

CJM 09-04-2007 08:03 PM

I would for sure, even thought I know its always nice to be sure.

Diesel_Freak 09-04-2007 11:46 PM

Count me in, I'd love to know how to do everything to my motor, they're so damn simple. Like was said before, having a manual is one thing, but seeing exactly WHERE you're supposed to be looking and what the part looks like on the truck/motor would be a huge help...

Good idea mate.

rdlsz24 09-05-2007 02:40 AM

Sounds promising.

Rob

Grounded 09-05-2007 01:41 PM

Knowing you, the instructional DVDs will be awesome! Run your first one by me...I'll be your test dummy. If a mechanically challenged person :nerd: like myself can understand it, you'll know it will work for these guys.
If I "get it", I'll be looking for a slightly used 4runner! :drink:

Kaydon 09-05-2007 01:59 PM

I'd def. buy one as long as it wasn't like PowerBlock where they skip the most important steps when doing pretty much anything they're doing, except Extreme 4x4.

YotaJunky 09-05-2007 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Grounded (Post 50608541)
Knowing you, the instructional DVDs will be awesome! Run your first one by me...I'll be your test dummy. If a mechanically challenged person :nerd: like myself can understand it, you'll know it will work for these guys.
If I "get it", I'll be looking for a slightly used 4runner! :drink:

All right Pat. It's my understanding that these posts are permalinked and you have now committed yourself to being the test dummy...

Troy :hillbill:

YotaJunky 09-05-2007 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kaydon (Post 50608555)
I'd def. buy one as long as it wasn't like PowerBlock where they skip the most important steps when doing pretty much anything they're doing, except Extreme 4x4.

Yes, I acknowledge what you are saying and I was thinking about actually doing the projects with a combination of real time and time elapsed video. For example, I would remove one of the more difficult bolts from an oil pan in real time, and then edit the remainder of the removal in time elapsed mode. That way you could see all the bolts being removed in a very short period of time, yet still observe how it is done in real time with the difficult bolt.

Troy

87TurboYota 09-05-2007 02:57 PM

Yea I'd buy one as long as you didn't make it look too easy!

eightnine 09-05-2007 03:01 PM

I would DEFINETLY buy one!

BluYot 09-05-2007 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by troy65 (Post 50608567)
Yes, I acknowledge what you are saying and I was thinking about actually doing the projects with a combination of real time and time elapsed video. For example, I would remove one of the more difficult bolts from an oil pan in real time, and then edit the remainder of the removal in time elapsed mode. That way you could see all the bolts being removed in a very short period of time, yet still observe how it is done in real time with the difficult bolt.

Troy

Ooooh...you really have been putting a lot of thought into this eh? Time elapsed..genius! Are you using a digi camera? Are you using any particular software for editing...or are you not disclosing that info? It would be good too if you could include part numbers to certain parts as well...not everything...unless you're really ambitious. And after you're done with these DVD's start SAS'n...I'm sure you get a huge following LOL! But seriously, sounds like you're on to something.