YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   Where to buy ARB lockers and gears (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/where-buy-arb-lockers-gears-79148/)

tc 02-19-2006 06:29 PM

Where to buy ARB lockers and gears

I've decided to do ARB's and 4.88's.

I believe I'm going to need the lockers, compressor, gears, install kit for the gears (bearings, seals, diff gasket), and diff oil. Do I need anything else like air hose/fittings for the lockers? What brands of gears are good or should I avoid?

Anyone having specials or particularly good prices on ARB lockers and/or gear sets?

These are the places I know about...
PORC
trdparts4u
4 Wheel Parts (free compressor + free shipping right now)

bamachem 02-19-2006 06:48 PM

i got my gears from PORC and my lockers direct from ARB.

i'd suggest yukons for gears and master install kits, and then either trdparts4u or PORC for the lockers.

the gears w/ the master install kits have everything you need.

the arb's with the compressor will have everything you need.

rocket 02-19-2006 06:50 PM

I was going to do the exact same setup. After many hours of research, the best price i found for everything was at www.dunksperformance.com

Flygtenstein 02-19-2006 07:09 PM

It is somewhat of a Catch-22.

PORC and the Texans have smoking deals (See this Phil, positive press) and usually good stock.

Problem is most shops will tell you to take a hike if you walk in with parts bought elsewhere just in case there are problems.

bamachem 02-19-2006 07:19 PM

yeah, it's not always about the cheapest parts- that's for sure.

i was lucky enough to have a small-town race shop set mine up. the owner has done thousands of gear sets, and owned a 1st gen runner, so he'd also seen his fair share of the insides of a toyota housing. he did my rear ARB initial install, and then did the regear. however, he didn't have the correct dial indicator to do the front, so i had a toyota tech from a local dealer do it on his time over a weekend. he did an ARB install w/ a regear - basically new everything into an existing shell.

the rear was $150 each time and the front was the same. that was for bench installs into "cores" that i got. once they were on my rig, i then sold my originals to get some money back for the "cores".

if you go to an offroad shop, they'll want to sell you the parts or tell you to hit the road - more than likely anyway. don't forget that you can also get thrids and diffs from randy's that are already set up with lockers and gears. you'll have to check w/ them on price.

4x4Lamm 02-19-2006 08:06 PM

I try to avoid giving 4WP money of mine. If you are going to pull thirds, get the ARBs from Strap 22 and have at it.

Lamm

westy44runner 02-20-2006 06:22 AM

A good 4x4 shop will do the install even if you bought the lockers else where, especially if you just bring in a 3rd. PORC has the best deal on gears I found.
x2 on not giving 4wheel parts the sale. Go local or find a vendor on this board.

tc 02-20-2006 07:23 AM

Yeah, I hear what you guys are saying about 4WP, but free compressor + 10% off for President's day + free shipping adds up to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Of course, you're getting Genuine Gear instead of Yukon, and from what I've read, that's a significant drop in quality...We'll see how close others can get with the higher quality gears.

Install's not a problem - similar situation to bamachem. I will be taking him the thirds.

bamachem 02-20-2006 07:34 AM

do NOT get Genuine Gears. RUN!!!!!

tc 02-20-2006 09:33 AM

4WheelParts
R&P+Locker pkg w/ Upgraded compressor
TOTAL: $1895

PORC:
Gears and install kit:$ 510
Lockers: $1378
Compressor: $ 199
Shipping (est) $ 40
TOTAL: $2127

Dunk's:
Gears and install kit:$ 537
Lockers: $1470
Compressor: $ 205
Shipping (est): $ 40
TOTAL: $2252

One More Time 02-20-2006 09:40 AM

ARB's here...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77334

Not sure if Strap22 has gears

ZUK 02-20-2006 10:20 AM

Hi TC....I've had many good dealings with PORC http://performanceoffroadcenter.com ask for Cody if you call them up.

Dunks has also treated me good.

I'd like you to think more carefully about your gears....Yukon is just fine...Genuine is garbage. When I'm on the trail, I myself want my gears to be one of the strong points of my driveline....that does not mean I have to do dana60. It means a pro install....any gear ratio....410 all the way to 571. By the way, I would put my 571 gear install up against any 410 install and probably bust the 410 all to hell...knowing what I know about tooth contact and leverage. ;) ZUK

tc 02-20-2006 10:36 AM

Actually, PORC's price on the locker setup is even better than trdparts4u (who doesn't do gears coughPhilcough LOL)

Thanks for the advice everyone - It sounds like the extra $232 to buy from PORC is worth it...

rocket 02-20-2006 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Actually, PORC's price on the locker setup is even better than trdparts4u (who doesn't do gears coughPhilcough LOL)

Thanks for the advice everyone - It sounds like the extra $232 to buy from PORC is worth it...

Phil don't list gears (just like Dunks don't list ARBs) but he does sell them.

tc 02-20-2006 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
Phil don't list gears (just like Dunks don't list ARBs) but he does sell them.

Uh - then why did they refer me to PORC for the gears?

rocket 02-20-2006 06:19 PM

hmmm i'm not sure. A few months ago i was given a quote for Yukon gears from Barb (TRDparts4U) so your guess is as good as mine. :think:

Cebby 02-20-2006 06:25 PM

TC - I know it's a haul for you, but I had Otter (Whaley Enterprises) in Harrisburg do mine. I ended up having the gears and lockers drop shipped to him and bought a front pig and rear 3rd to have setup so I'd have no down time.

If you have an Auto and 4.88's, you will be able to sell the setup 4.88 3rds.

Strap22 02-21-2006 08:29 AM

We sell these packages at this price everyday. Some days we win some days we lose. If PORC can do that price I say go for it. We have had great dealings with them and we do refer people to them. We tried selling gears too but decided to stick with what we know........ARB/Toyota's

tc 02-21-2006 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cebby
TC - I know it's a haul for you, but I had Otter (Whaley Enterprises) in Harrisburg do mine. I ended up having the gears and lockers drop shipped to him and bought a front pig and rear 3rd to have setup so I'd have no down time.

If you have an Auto and 4.88's, you will be able to sell the setup 4.88 3rds.

Uh yeah - Harrisburg would be quite a trip. I'll just drop my thirds, take them to my guy, he said 2 days tops, and put them back in. I have another car to drive and other projects for the 4Runner while it's down. Although I was thinking of trading front thirds with Masterwacker since he's cut his off for SAS and at least doing the front "off line".