General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

What are ideal spare parts to carry?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are ideal spare parts to carry?

So every now and again I end up looking at my IFS thinking about all those parts that can easily fail seeing how my truck is 20+ years old, so my question is, what are ideal spare parts to carry while wheeling or even just driving to the store? And i'm not talking about a flash light or an extra pair of socks, i'm talking about if i'm making a turn and hear a loud pop or such, what is that most likely going to be? Am I prepared with the part or do I have to hitch-hike to work for the next week while i'm waiting for the part to come in the mail. A couple things that I already have are an ignitor, oil, air compressor, jumper cables, and a couple other things. I know some people that carry trail welders, axles, hubs etc. So what do you guys carry or have sitting on your work bench at home?
Old 06-30-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

Parts vehicle sitting at home in the garage.

AAA membership or towing and road service on your insurance.

I tend to carry an extra set of belts and a gallon of coolant or two

Brake fluid maybe some oil.

My luck no matter what part I might have along they never break.

It just depends where your going and if your vehicle breaking down means your just going to be uncomfortable or there putting you in a bag when they find you in a few months.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:59 PM

But see I want to be able to drive out with the same rig I drove in, I don't want to leave my truck im the middle of a trail for days until I can get back in there with a part, I know it happens but I want to to try to avoid it
Old 06-30-2012, 07:30 PM

good maintenance is the key. The things I hear of most commonly broken are cv joints. (for ifs) If you are going through water crossings without a snorkle then you should bring extra oil and drain pan. If wheeling very hard areas then possibly spare ball joints and idler arm. The rest is impossible to predict but mostly avoided by good maintenance. If you have been having starting issues or overheating issues don't hit the trail untill they are fixed. my .02cents Also a full size spare and tire repair kit/air source.

Last edited by dewiseman; 06-30-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sub'd. tie rods?
Old 06-30-2012, 08:43 PM

Definitely bring extra fluids!

After a few years of wheelin with our IFS, here's what I would carry
-with 31" tires, I would feel comfortable without spares
-with 33" tires, I'd carry a CV axle
-with 35" tires, I'd carry a CV axle and tie rod ends. Possibly an idler arm too. Large tires will trash your idler, but not sure if they will snap it. I've snapped one before so I'm adding an aftermarket idler arm to my build.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 PM

For my truck, I carry a spare electronic everything that is needed for me to make it home. Susp/driveline parts will (usually) let you know when they're wearing out or need to be changed. Electronics will leave you stranded in a heart beat with no warning. Of course sometimes stuff just breaks.

Since I'm a solid axle guy, if you break a cv, its still driveable right? just limited to 2wd? If thats the case, get a winch. You should have one anyways if you don't want to be stranded.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:18 AM

Spare parts?? We drive Toyotas! We shouldn't need spare parts!
Old 07-01-2012, 05:29 AM

So wiseman, what would be the maintenance for keeping a cv joint up to par? Sinse the rigs are old and yes 93, we shouldn't need spare parts, but is it out of the norm to replace the listed parts on a routine maintenance schedule? ie. cv joints, idler arm, tie rods?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:19 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I myself give the vehicle a full inspection every oil change if things are bad or worn they get replaced.

a lot comes down to your driving skill it seems some people think unless they are breaking things they are not off roading .

Where do you draw the line?? Some of the suspension parts are hard enough to change in the most well equipped shop.

You mentioned this is also a daily driver I have no idea what your part of the world is like I have not been there for about 20 years or so.

Do you really want to be trying to change even a tire let alone figure out a real problem while traffic flies past just a few inches from your body.

Since you would leave the spare parts and tools in your truck at all times is the chance of theft very high while your shopping or at the movies etc .

Removing and putting them back in almost guarantees something will be forgotten that will make the job impossible.

One could pull a trailer along loaded with all the parts and tools one could need . Have a Full size service Truck close at hand.

While both those kind of put a crimp in your wheeling style.

there is no shame in having your vehicle pulled home after giving it your best shot. I have spent a night or two in the woods over the years.

Left a vehicle to go get parts a few times.

Had a bearing fail in the transmission enough so it would not go into any gear.

Bottom line things are going to break if your going off road don`t go alone if you do tell someone responsible enough where your going and when you will be back.

Cause Mr Murphy will make sure you have no cell phone or internet service where you are.

I would think more about human survival then your vehicle it will keep.

Last edited by wyoming9; 07-04-2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: typo