YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   What have you done that promotes reliability/durability? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/what-have-you-done-promotes-reliability-durability-85634/)

CoedNaked 05-09-2006 10:07 PM

What have you done that promotes reliability/durability?

I'm interested in some things that you think you've done to your rig that you think make it more reliable or durable to some degree than what is offered in stock form. Or perhaps some improvement over stock that you think makes things it better. Toyots are pretty reliable as is if maintained well and all regular maintenance is done, but if there is something you do that you feel gives your truck or suv the edge....

For example - changing your fluids in your diffs, transfer case, tranny, etc, to synthetic, changing your oil to synthetic. Or going to Bilstein shocks which have a reputation for longetivity & performance, or things like that (or perhaps some type of regular maintenance item that no one does that you think should be addressed by the masses to promote reliability or durability of your rig).
Some speculate that headers on the 3.0 will reduce chances of headgasket failure and burnt exhaust valves, etc.

FORANA 05-09-2006 10:44 PM

I think changing your oil regularly at the correct intervals is number one in longetivty. Also keeping the paint clean and poilished will save you from dealing with rust and body wear.

I think one of my best mods was air shocks. It allows you to adjust the rear end height when towing or hauling a heavy load. Of course they don't last as long cause the seal eventually start leaking but they are pretty inexpensive.

Other than that I haven't done much. I

waskillywabbit 05-10-2006 03:54 AM

Replace "maintenance" parts on a routine schedule. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Be proactive instead of reactive...it is ALWAYS cheaper in the long run. I service my own vehicles, but from time to time I do let an ASE Master Toy tech check them out at my excellent local dealership.

:guitar:

AH64ID 05-10-2006 05:13 AM

preventitive maintence, AMSOIL synthetic fluids, preventive maintence.

and most importantly, DRIVE TOYOTA

slosurfer 05-10-2006 06:44 AM

Sonoran Steel IFS rear truss, preventative maintenence, and a good mechanic and tire shop.

Glenn 05-10-2006 12:37 PM

Synthetic blinker fluid. :D

kyle_22r 05-10-2006 01:49 PM

in my '91, i changed to semi-synthetic valvoline(engine was sludged pretty bad, but i've replaced all the seals), replaced the timing chain and put steel guides in, changed tranny fluid to synthetic.

in my '79...i've rebuilt or replaced EVERY single drivetrain component. engine, tranny, clutch, t-case, front axle, rear axle etc.

Godzilla 05-10-2006 01:54 PM

Reliability in -30 degree celcius temp in the winter with a windchill that can drop it to -40 celcisus would have to be an Optima 34R.

tc 05-10-2006 02:35 PM

Manual hubs.

Bubuilt skidplates.

Sliders, bumpers.

4x4Lamm 05-10-2006 03:00 PM

The best lesson about trucks I ever learned was taught to me by an old farmer,
"oil and greese is cheap, parts ain't".

I really want some manual hubs, and my armor is almost done too.

Lamm

WATRD 05-10-2006 03:46 PM

Solid Axle Swap... no more CV's, no more ball joints, no more coilovers, no more fragile front diff. Reliability problem solved...

99runner4me 05-11-2006 11:10 AM

Besides the usual maintenance, I put in Chevron fuel injector cleaner, Lubro Moly Jectron(fuel injector cleaner), or Lubro Moly Ventil Sauber(valve clean) every other gas tank full.

Robinhood150 05-11-2006 03:49 PM

Besides the usual maintenance stuff, I keep my engine and transmission stock (except for a tranny cooler) and use OEM parts.