YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   What Amsoil grease should I use for my driveshaft ? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/what-amsoil-grease-should-i-use-my-driveshaft-50943/)

pfbmgd 02-03-2005 02:17 PM

What Amsoil grease should I use for my driveshaft ?

I have a 97 runner .I want to grease the driveshafts .I did a search and there is little information on this . I checked my manual and there is nothing there on lubricating the driveshaft .Can someone tell me what Amsoil product to use .Or suggest another quality grease .

TacomaTRD 02-03-2005 03:03 PM

I use their water proof grease, not sure if it's right or not but I have a bunch for my sleds and boats...

Citykid 02-03-2005 06:31 PM

Whadda mean there isn't a lot of info on it????:eeek: I had the same problem for my 60k check. I'm at work right now so I can't run to the garage for you but I can tell you I bought two different greases from Amsoil. My ride, a 2001, requires different types. Don't know about yours.

Ckeck out this to get you started. Click here

pfbmgd 02-03-2005 06:58 PM

Sorry I guess I wasn`t clear .There is little information on the type of Lube .I have all the information on how to .

kevin444 02-03-2005 07:03 PM

Use the amsoil grease that work. Or use any NGLI #2 Lithium chassis grease.

kyle_22r 02-03-2005 07:05 PM

any #2 grease should work...marine grease is a good idea if you ever do water crossings or play in mud.

i bought a tube of amsoil waterproof grease for $4 or so at carquest...i figure for how little i really use it'd be a good investment

calrockx 02-03-2005 07:29 PM

marine grease can be used for both the u joint zerks and double cardan zerks? i know there are toyota specified ones, but yeah still...

Bob_98SR5 02-03-2005 07:33 PM

pf,

the type of grease that your vehicle uses is found in the back of your owners manual in a section called "Specifications"

they all differ from vehicle to vehicle (years; some stay the same), so you have to look in your manual.

bob

pfbmgd 02-03-2005 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
pf,

the type of grease that your vehicle uses is found in the back of your owners manual in a section called "Specifications"

they all differ from vehicle to vehicle (years; some stay the same), so you have to look in your manual.

bob

Are the propeller shaft and drive shaft the same ? I only have propeller shaft grease specs (NLGI-2).

Citykid 02-03-2005 08:11 PM

Yes, they are the same.

kyle_22r 02-03-2005 10:25 PM

NLGI-2 covers a LOT of different kinds of greases...it's hard to go wrong here.

gomezza 04-28-2005 08:19 PM

In my owners man. It says "Spiders: Lithium Base Chassis Grease, NLGI No.2" and "Slide yoke and double cardan joint Molybdenum-disulfide lithium base chassis grease, NLGI no.2"

Are these the same thing!??! I mean talk about complex words for GREASE! Can anyone fill me in??

Thanks

Citykid 04-28-2005 08:21 PM

Yeah, there is a difference. I got my two types from Amsoil. I'm just following what Toyota says, others may disagree though.

gomezza 04-28-2005 08:29 PM

whats the difference? and where can I buy the two... which one goes in what?!

Wait... So i've been putting this "synthetic Valvoline grease" In ALL my fittings... did I just distroy my driveshaft!??!? AHH! Am i doing more harm than good... Help!?

gomezza 04-29-2005 04:18 AM

update...

I wrote to Valvoline and they said the synpower will work for both applications. I spoke to a tech at Toyota this morning and he said any warrenty I had on my driveshaft is now void... what the heck! Input anyone?

gomezza 04-29-2005 05:20 PM

bump

bump!

kyle_22r 04-29-2005 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by gomezza
I wrote to Valvoline and they said the synpower will work for both applications. I spoke to a tech at Toyota this morning and he said any warrenty I had on my driveshaft is now void... what the heck! Input anyone?

there's a warranty on your driveshaft?

as long as it's #2 grease, you should have no problems. he's full of it.

CynicX 04-30-2005 06:08 AM

hahaha....i watched toyota mechanics use grease....they might as well of been using a big container that said "Brand X Grease" because they dont care, as long as some lube gets in there....

gomezza 04-30-2005 02:21 PM

haha, thats funny! thanks guys... I like this valvoline syn. stuff. Anyone know of a company that has tested amsoil against Mobil 1.

H

mt_goat 04-30-2005 03:15 PM

haha, thats funny! thanks guys... I like this valvoline syn. stuff. Anyone know of a company that has tested amsoil against Mobil 1.

H

Lots of info here: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...cgi?category=1