YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   A way to stop or fix rust? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/way-stop-fix-rust-103259/)

gilby4runner 01-04-2007 11:52 AM

A way to stop or fix rust?

I am going to try and get a rig ready for the Telico Trip this summer. I have found a 1st gen runner with the normal rust issues. It is not bad but starting to bubble the paint and show. What if i was to patch that spot and rhino line the whole truck? Would that stop the rust?
Any info is great.... i am sure this has been covered but i really didnt see much on it:horse:

bob200587 01-04-2007 12:09 PM

I don't know why everyone's vehicles are so rusty....mine doesn't have any rust on the undercarrige or body.

As to your question......Rhino lining a whole truck will be expensive, and very heavy. Just paint it. Rattle cans will get it done.

gilby4runner 01-04-2007 12:14 PM

I dont mind the rust where it is. I just want to stop it. I had and 86 that was repainted and the rust came back through with in a year. Is there any way to stop it?

the_4runnin'_beast 01-04-2007 12:16 PM

It wouldn't stop the rust. Remember: RUST NEVER SLEEPS! The only way to get rid of it would be to replace the panel that is rusted. Or some at-home-surgery!

mt_goat 01-04-2007 12:29 PM

I hear moving to Arizona helps a lot.:laugh: Ok seriously, sandblast down to clean metal (hopefully you'll still have some metal left) and keep it sealed from moisture, especially salty moisture. Any paint will do that for a while but some will last much longer than others. POR is suppost to be good, or look into a marine epoxy paint too.

bob200587 01-04-2007 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat (Post 50383158)
I hear moving to Arizona helps a lot.:laugh:

It shouldn't be that bad here in TN....no sand, no salt, and maybe 1 good snow per year...More in the mountains, but nothing that's gonna keep the roads salty all the time.

gilby4runner 01-04-2007 12:33 PM

ha ha..... I dont care about the rust that is on it. I plan on a spray can camo. I just want to stop it or slow it. I just dont want a repeat of my 86.

CJM 01-04-2007 12:40 PM

Remove the rust by taking off byt cutting or sanding, spray or roll on por 15 rust converter to fix it up and finally rattle can it if you want.

Brendan 01-04-2007 06:54 PM

i used rust bullet on the tub of my cruiser when i started to see rust forming. that was about a year ago and it hasn't come through at all since.

Napoleon047 01-05-2007 07:18 PM

the only way to absolutely stop the rust is to either cut it out, grind to bare steel or sandblast, any other methods (inlcuding POR-15, should be called POS-15) are insufficient for stopping it, they may slow it down a bit though.

91TPU 01-05-2007 09:50 PM

step one-sand it down
step two-primer it with a rust stopping primer
step three-hit it with some sealer
step four-paint it, rhino it, whatever it, just seal your previous work

i have some bubble spots on the outside of my bed, im gonna tape it off and sand it down and seal it and then when i spray my bedliner on im gonna spray over that also. covers it up, and seals out the conditions...rust is a real pita tho, really gotta sand it down