YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   warn M8k used or smittybilt new with lifetime warranty? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/warn-m8k-used-smittybilt-new-lifetime-warranty-182245/)

jjrgr21 05-16-2009 10:48 AM

warn M8k used or smittybilt new with lifetime warranty?

i've got the chance to buy a M8k for $400 "like new" or buy a smittybilt from 4wp w/lifetime warranty for $350. thing is the warn has no warranty, and the guy says he's never used it. so what do y'all think?

jjrgr21 05-16-2009 04:15 PM

anyone?

Wardamneagle 05-16-2009 11:49 PM

I think this is a decision that only you can make. I wouldn't buy a Smittybuilt winch at any price if that helps. Used is fine if you lay your own hands on it and satisfy yourself that there's nothing wrong with it. New that Warn M8000 with 125' of steel cable will run you just under $600 delivered. (Gowarn.com)

Kletzenklueffer 05-19-2009 08:20 AM

Yeah, make sure the warn winch runs. I bought one on an ARB bumper for $600 for both. So, say $300 in the winch. After I tried to run it, I found the motor was dead. He had buried the truck the bumper/winch was on, filled the motor with mud/water and didn't drain it, so it corroded. There were a few other issues that were easily resolved. The replacement motor is $90-100.

tc 05-19-2009 08:32 AM

First, Warn is known to have very good customer service. I am sure they will make sure it runs.

I have never used a Smittybuilt winch, but it is just a MileMarker with different stickers on it. The MileMarker winches I have used are all characterised by GLACIAL line speed. Frustratingly slow. The people who say line speed doesn't matter haven't ever used a quick winch.

What rating is the Smittybuilt? Because IMHO, an 8000 lb winch is kinda marginal for our rigs - be prepared to do double line pulls often. (Oh, and this cuts the line speed in half so already slow gets ridiculous)

Lastly, what is your budget? There are a number of "accessories" that you NEED with the winch - snatch block, tree strap, etc. If buying the Warn will max you out and you can't afford that stuff, the winch is just a boat anchor on the front of your truck. Synthetic line isn't a need so much as a VERY nice to have and I would definitely check it out.

FredTJ 05-19-2009 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by tc (Post 51143404)
First, Warn is known to have very good customer service. I am sure they will make sure it runs.

I have never used a Smittybuilt winch, but it is just a MileMarker with different stickers on it. The MileMarker winches I have used are all characterised by GLACIAL line speed. Frustratingly slow. The people who say line speed doesn't matter haven't ever used a quick winch.

What rating is the Smittybuilt? Because IMHO, an 8000 lb winch is kinda marginal for our rigs - be prepared to do double line pulls often. (Oh, and this cuts the line speed in half so already slow gets ridiculous)

Lastly, what is your budget? There are a number of "accessories" that you NEED with the winch - snatch block, tree strap, etc. If buying the Warn will max you out and you can't afford that stuff, the winch is just a boat anchor on the front of your truck. Synthetic line isn't a need so much as a VERY nice to have and I would definitely check it out.

Yup, very true.
Many/most people don't understand the rating on winches.
You should get a winch rated and 1.5 times your vehicle weight.
Weigh your vehicle with full trail gear and a full tank of gas.

Having this information, find a winch that is rated accordingly.
NOTE:
The MAX weight rating for the winch (8000 lbs in the case of this Warn) is ONLY for the first wrap of line. It goes down after that.

This is very important and most people simply do not take the time to educate themselves on winching requirements for their particular vehicle/winch combo.

:)
Fred

jjrgr21 05-21-2009 05:00 PM

i have snatch blocks and a tree strap and other straps. but it doesn't matter now the guy with the warn decided to keep it, so i'll probably get the smitty. the first gens were MM, now they are rebadged t-maxx. they are 8k, and my runner weighs about 3800+200 for the dogs and 300 for me and the wife and maybe 200 for gear,so about 4500, so i think im good with an 8k.

dropzone 05-21-2009 06:11 PM

I would weigh your 4runner on a truck scale, you might be surprised at the weight.

tc 05-21-2009 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone (Post 51145543)
I would weigh your 4runner on a truck scale, you might be surprised at the weight.

x2 - especially if you have armor, etc.

Before I redid the suspension, with just me, a full tank of gas and regular driving stuff (spare tire, jumper cables, etc) it was 4940 lbs!

jjrgr21 05-22-2009 02:13 AM

well i didn't use a bathroom scale, there might be some tards on here, but i'm not one of them.

SouthGeorgiaRunner 05-26-2009 06:52 PM

smitty

brooklee1000 06-06-2009 04:17 PM

My first gen hilux longbox with an aluminum deck and equipment wieghs in at 1800kg(about 4000lbs) total. 4400 for a 4rnr sounds a little low. The 8k should pull it though. I have a doubler and plan to get another for pulling out the chevy/dodge/ford crowd. Toy don't get stuck!

FredTJ 06-06-2009 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by brooklee1000 (Post 51156364)
My first gen hilux longbox with an aluminum deck and equipment wieghs in at 1800kg(about 4000lbs) total. 4400 for a 4rnr sounds a little low. The 8k should pull it though. I have a doubler and plan to get another for pulling out the chevy/dodge/ford crowd. Toy don't get stuck!

Toy don't get stuck!
You just need to play in bigger stuff then ;)

:)
Fred