YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   Something SO simple! Spark plug gap. A heads up. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/something-so-simple-spark-plug-gap-heads-up-256037/)

toyospearo 07-12-2012 08:17 AM

Something SO simple! Spark plug gap. A heads up.

I work part time at a shop that specializes in building the 20R, 22R, 22RE series motor in addition to being a machine, welding and fab shop. We don't typically do mechanics but sometimes we do. Over the past 3 months I have worked on quite a few of these motors at the shop or under the shade of a tree. Two guys came into the shop with the motors "running rough." After TPS, timing, carb, and other minor adjustments these trucks STILL ran rough. The symptoms were a slight miss at idle, poor gas milage and sluggish. Usually I can figure these out pretty quick but I was at a loss. One of the machinists at the shop walked by me on his way to lunch and said, "do a compression check and I would check the spark plugs." This was after I had spent 2 hours on one truck. A compression check yielded 170 in every hole no valve or ring issue. I looked at the spark plugs and BOOM, the gap on one plug was pinched and touching. A sure for the symptoms this truck was having. I ordered a new set from napa. I opened each box and low and behold one of the 4 plugs was also PINCHED OVER! I can't remember ever looking at the gap on these plugs out of the box. I just take it for granted and I am too stupied to check if they are gapped correctly. That's why I pay extra for NKG :con: I asked the owner of the truck when he came to pick it up how long this was going on and he said' "since his dad did a tune up on it about a month ago."
This scenario has happened to me 3 times. One of those was on my own truck right after a tune up.
Most on Yotatech would know better and check the gap BEFORE they install the plug :bllama: I know better now.
Hopefully this little thread will help someone out there.

85TurboRunner 07-12-2012 11:30 AM

Hmm. I thought checking the gap was common sense.

vital22re 07-12-2012 01:54 PM

some plugs come pregapped or can't be gapped due to the design. When work on cars all day everyday sometimes you miss the mundane details.

snobdds 07-12-2012 02:27 PM

Don't worry I've done it before. Could not figure it out for hours. Let the truck sit overnight and had a chance to think about it. Next morning went and pulled the plugs and one had no gap. Put the gap guage on it and reinstalled, purred like a kitten.

It happens.

combatcarl 07-12-2012 02:51 PM

Hmmm. That's sticky material, right there.

myyota 07-13-2012 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner (Post 51943231)
Hmm. I thought checking the gap was common sense.

^^ This ^^ I always check the gap on new plugs. I don`t care if they come already gapped, they get checked anyway before there installed.

Outsane 07-16-2012 09:54 AM

platinum plugs are not suppsed to be gapped as it will crack the platinum...

is this correct?