YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   Sliders and Bumper, coating (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/sliders-bumper-coating-83794/)

AH64ID 04-16-2006 11:09 AM

Sliders and Bumper, coating

I am getting ready to reweld my sliders on after a year in the attic, and am trying to figure out what to coat them in: rhino, line-x, or rattle can

I am leaning towards a spay on liner. For several reasons, texture, durability, and they have to prep the surface. (My sliders were originally rattle canned and lived a life in seattle and alabama, and are UGLY) But which one is a more durable liner?

The other option is have them sandblasted and back to rattle canned.

My rear bumper is rattle canned right now and I will match it to whatever I do on the sliders.

I know I dont want to powercoat them becuase I think its the most prone to being destroyed, thus a new poll... I have seen the others with bedliner vs poweder coating.

So in addition to your opinion I am also looking for trail stories of line-X or rhino lining. I dont wheel as much anymore where I need the sliders, but they are still there. I will probally hit trees more that sharp rocks, but??

Thanks for the opinions.

FilthyRich 04-16-2006 11:13 AM

IMO I would strip the sliders, prime them and hit them with rustoleum black. Several coats and they will be soooo easy to touch up when they get scratched.

Spary-on liner will ook good, but what are you going to do when they get beat up?? Plus, rattle can is much cheaper

ecchamberlin 04-16-2006 11:16 AM

Rattle can! I did my TJM with the same Hammertite stuff from HomeDepot that I did the sliders with. Like already said when I come home I just mask off the body and repaint the sliders and every so often need to touch up the bumper. This paint has a cool texture that helps it blend better.

waskillywabbit 04-16-2006 12:32 PM

Sliders that are used...pointless to paint them anyting other than rattle can.

Bling bling sliders...who cares. :hillbill:

:guitar:

AH64ID 04-16-2006 12:41 PM

I certainly not about bling....:chair:

bob200587 04-16-2006 12:58 PM

The Herculiner stuff sounds like a happy medium. Tougher than spray paint but not as expensive as having the rhino or line-x done.

AH64ID 04-16-2006 01:28 PM

Is herculiner the stuff you roll on? I tried that before and it didnt stick at all. I will probally use something in a spray can.

91_4x4runner 04-16-2006 01:35 PM

If you're actually going to make use of the sliders or bumper, the spray can will be easiest for touch ups ;-)

tc 04-16-2006 02:05 PM

One of our OHTTORA members had his rhinolined.

He created quite a creative string of expletives trying to clean them up so they could be touched up.

By comparison, mine are POR-15, just break out the spray can and touch them up.

AH64ID 04-16-2006 02:13 PM

I just looked up POR-15, looks like a good product, pricey but good.

How much would you guess I'd need for a pair of sliders and a allpro bumper.

Originally Posted by tc

By comparison, mine are POR-15, just break out the spray can and touch them up.

what do you use to spray it? Do you use their primer?

tc 04-16-2006 02:22 PM

I don't know - they came from 4Crawler done, now I just rattle can them to touch up.

I hear the POR-15 goes a long way.

AH64ID 04-16-2006 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by tc
I don't know - they came from 4Crawler done, now I just rattle can them to touch up.

I hear the POR-15 goes a long way.

Where did you find rattle cans of POR-15, or are you using rattle can paint?

Rather Diesel 04-16-2006 03:17 PM

If you are regularly scratching stuff up, I would reattle-can. If it's fairly rare and you want a nicer finish, I would buy a cheap HVLP sray gun for $50, and use automotive paint. It has the benefit of hardner, and the protection and shine will last MUCH longer than cans.

That's the path I'm going. Powdercoat is too expensive in my area.

HTH Roy

rocket 04-16-2006 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4nala
How much would you guess I'd need for a pair of sliders and a allpro bumper.
what do you use to spray it? Do you use their primer?

Buy one pint of POR-15 and apply it with a good quality brush. Then either rattle can it or buy one pint of POR-15 Chassiscoat or Blackcoat paint and apply it the same way.
How much will one pint cover? My bro did his AllPro sliders, front/rear bumpers, e-locker guard, Hi-Lift slider adaptor, and still had some left over. It goes a very long way and it looks good. Well worth the money. Check out the POR-15 store on eBay.

AH64ID 04-16-2006 03:34 PM

thanks

tc 04-16-2006 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4nala
Where did you find rattle cans of POR-15, or are you using rattle can paint?

Just use regular rattle-can for the touch up. After several of those, I'll wirebrush them down and redo the POR-15. Around here, you gotta get on it QUICK or it'll rust bad.

ecchamberlin 04-16-2006 06:35 PM

One thing to think about also that I think is a negative point of a herculiner type of coating is that I regularly rub the inside of my lower leg on my sliders getting in and out because of the lift and how the sliders stick out a bit. I think a liner type product would hurt like hell with shorts on. Small point but in SoCal we wear shorts a lot.

Small point but I'm a geek like that.

AH64ID 04-16-2006 06:37 PM

Yeah, not affect me at 6'4'', long legs, but my wife is only 5'8''...I am now leaning towards the POR-15, or an equivilant. My dad owns a marine repair business so I will probally find a place he has account that sell POR-15 or similar to get it at cost.

RustBucket 08-09-2006 07:32 AM

I'm about to sand down the fat welds on my home-made sliders and rustoleum them black... what do you do to "prime" them before spraypainting?

Intrepid 08-09-2006 07:39 AM

You got me, I voted thinking this was new. :laugh:

I usually clean them off with some brake cleaner or something similar, then hit them with some rustoleum primer and paint, end of story. So far, no trouble.