YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   Seafoam, have you ever tried ATF instead? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/seafoam-have-you-ever-tried-atf-instead-87650/)

frankjake 06-08-2006 07:27 PM

Seafoam, have you ever tried ATF instead?

Years ago I had a Chevy Chevelle. It developed a valve ticking and I took it to a mechanic who told me to try something first.

He said to start the engine and pour ATF (auto trans fluid) directly into the carb slow enough so the engine didn't stall. He said this would clean the engine especially the valves and lifters and the "tick" should go away.

So I do exactly as he said and I'll tell you, talk about heavy smoke! Tons, I mean tons of bluish/white smoke poured out the exhaust, I kept the RMP up while I was slowly pouring the ATF into the carb. I have to say, it worked. No more valve tick and the engine seemed to have a bit more get up and go. I never thought about checking the mileage, but back then gas was only 50 cents a gallon and we weren't too concerned about mileage. LOL

I wonder if the seafoam is similar to ATF in it's cleaning ability? Has anyone ever tried ATF, using similar procedures as the seafoam? Isn't Marvel Mystery Oil basically ATF? It's says you can use it in the gas tank. Maybe have similar effects as Seafoam?

getitdone 06-08-2006 08:46 PM

It is full of detergent I hear. I have heard of intake cleaning with atf but have never tried it.

ChickenLover 06-08-2006 08:48 PM

A friend of mine used ATF. Smoked up the whole street. He said it worked well.

Bob_98SR5 06-08-2006 09:14 PM

my mechanic suggested the same when i mentioned seafoam. never had it done

kyle_22r 06-09-2006 07:17 AM

i've done it, never seemed to make a difference.

then again, there wasn't anything wrong with my engine, i just wanted to have some fun :hillbill:

DavidA 06-09-2006 08:13 AM

That is an OOOOLLLLLDDDDD trick to burn off carbon deposits. It works, but I have only done it on older carbuerator equipped cars. Will really smoke you out. :)

youngbuck 06-10-2006 05:27 PM

Yea I've heard of putting a small amount of ATF into your gas, and that's suppose to like clean and lube your fuel system. But I think I also remember reading somewhere that it was a bad idea, idk...

Sonofmayhem 06-11-2006 12:16 PM

My dad had it done to his jeep, i wonder how well it would work on the 22re, and how much should i put in? thanks.

mikes350 06-11-2006 03:04 PM

I've added it to the oil just before an oil change , seems to quiet things down a bit , not sure how long i would want to run it in there though

dieselhound 06-11-2006 03:49 PM

I have used ATF in oil and to clean the top end. You can take off your big hose on your brake power booster and let it suck through the top end. As far as in my oil, what it does is softens up all the rubber and makes them swell for a better seal. The detergents in ATF are nasty, in a good way. In my Peterbilt, I put a quart in each fuel tank once every couple fill ups. It cleans the injectors.

kyle_22r 06-11-2006 07:14 PM

i strongly don't recommend sucking anything through your brake booster hose, it doesn't go to your "top end," it goes to straight into the cylinders! using a big hose can slurp a lot of fluid, which in turn ends with broken rods.

mt_goat 06-13-2006 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
i strongly don't recommend sucking anything through your brake booster hose, it doesn't go to your "top end," it goes to straight into the cylinders! using a big hose can slurp a lot of fluid, which in turn ends with broken rods.

Yeah, I've heard of some guy that hydrolocked his engine doing that. I've been using BG 44K in the gas tank.

Sonofmayhem 06-14-2006 09:30 AM

ok, but can i put it in my tank? and i should do it right before an oil change?

Outsane 06-27-2006 02:02 PM

on the sea foam bottle there are directions for adding before the throttle body
into the oil.

and into the gas..

all depends on what you want to clean...

RX-7 guys like marvel mystery oil... I think is a marvel is smells like atf and its a mystery to the rx-7 guys..

surf4runner 06-27-2006 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by DavidA
That is an OOOOLLLLLDDDDD trick to burn off carbon deposits. It works, but I have only done it on older carbuerator equipped cars. Will really smoke you out. :)

one time i was doing this girl a favor of putting in the qt of oil she handed me. turned out she had ATF and all of her family was :pissed: at me for it. doing something in the dark, i didnt even spill a drop, and i get rousted. :nopity:
they just did an oil change and there was never any problems. dont know if it ever ran better.

another old carb trick is a bit of water down the carb while running, removes carbon deposits real well.

ironroad9c1 07-05-2006 03:50 PM

pouring it into your itke will not do anything for your lifters..lmao but it does work , but its kinda nasty for convertors , stick with sea foam ,and just before an oil change add a can o marvel mystery oil to the oil and let it rin for a while ,thats what will help lifters.