General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

The Reveal! - 7mgte 2nd gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Reveal! - 7mgte 2nd gen 4Runner

Hey all,
I wanted to do a grand reveal when I was totally done with this little project here, however I now realize that there never really is a done! I’ve gotten close, as in running well, but never got it entirely buttoned-up, and with every two steps forward there seems to be one slip back.

So without further ado, here’s my girl:

1995 4Runner Limited, previously with a 3vze (or 3slow, or 3slug, whatever you prefer) now with a beast 7mgte with all the fix’ns!

Name:  Runner.jpg
Views: 2259
Size:  96.2 KB

Name:  Engine.jpg
Views: 10229
Size:  153.3 KB

Here’s a rundown of the engine, cooling and management:

Engine
7mgte (turbo in-line six from a 87-92 Supra as I’m sure everyone knows)
PT61 ball bearing turbo, .60 A/R (if memory serves)
720 CC injectors
Walbro high flow fuel pump
JE forged pistons
1.2mm HKS metal head gasket
ARP head studs
HKS BOV
Custom ‘straight shot’ intake
headers

Cooling
Front mounted intercooler
Griffin 3 core aluminum radiator
2 Flex-A-Lite electric fans
Dual fluid cooler with electric fan – used for engine and transmission oil

Engine Management
Apex AVC-R boost controller
MAP ECU (this is cool it does away with Mass Air Flow meter and instead manages air/fuel through Manifold Air Pressure sensing, allows computer tuning of A/F for given RPM)

I really have to give all the credit to Rob for getting this machine to where it is now. Rob’s the proprietor of Supracharged.com and the master of swapping all things supra, and to my knowledge the originator of the 7mgte 4Runner swap. When I shipped my 4Runner down to him in Utah it was a hot steaming mess, he got it to 90% totally bad azz!

Here’s some pics of my cockpit - Boost gauge on A-pillar, Apex boost controller and oil pressure gauge in dash where top heater vents used to be (hated those things blowing hot air in my face and heating up my soda), using Zeitronix wideband for A/F monitoring.

Name:  DSC01638.jpg
Views: 3046
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  DSC01640.jpg
Views: 1580
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  DSC01639.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  41.1 KB

So here’s my one slip back
Stock auto transmission is toasty due to me being too frisky with the 300 RWHP that I’m running for my street tune. Also I never finished the thermostat wiring for the dual fluid cooler and it wasn’t mounted in the best location for air flow, so I think heat from the engine oil crossed over into the transmission oil when they were traveling through the cooler, not a good situation!

So I’ve got the old transmission out and a manual transmission ready to swap in but I need to fabricate a hybrid bell housing as well as a new crossmember bracket, and the unfortunate part is I don’t have welding gear. And frankly I don’t have all the technical expertise or fabrication skills to finish the little bit left that needs doing.

So I’m hoping one of you western Washington Yotatechers out there would be interested in helping me finish this thing off.

What I need to get done is the manual transmission conversion.

And here’s what will get it to 100% bad azz:

• Dual fluid cooler moved to bracket behind custom front skid plate, thermostat wired
• Bracket made to move steering box off frame to make room for ac compressor, ac wired
• Misc. other wiring to dash switch panel including off-road lights

As you can see the balance of what’s left to do is wiring and simple fabrication.

Thanks for looking

Sean

Last edited by the00flaw; 02-24-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:50 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Holy crap, that beautiful. Nice work...
Old 02-24-2009, 11:51 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I may be able to help with the small stuff, but dont' think i can fab a custom bellhousing. But if i can help a local toyota i will.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:12 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Oh, I like what you have done with the vents and the gauge/something I cant figure out right now...
Old 02-25-2009, 01:10 AM

Very nice work
Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 AM

I'm jealous. I've been "toying" with ideas to get more oomph into my own rigs.

The 3.4 is tried and true but I'm leaning towards doing something more oomphier.

That looks oomphier.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:16 AM

I dont have any yota trucks , But I do have 4 , 86.5-92 supras . The 7mgte is ooomphie . for sure . And if you build them right will withstand tons of abuse / boost .
Old 02-25-2009, 07:43 PM

Holy crap, that beautiful. Nice work...
Thanks man, like I said Rob of Supracharged.com deserves all the credit. Also if you check out my history you'll see how ridiculously long I've been working on this.

That looks oomphier.
No joke, that's why the transmission's toasty. Plus it's such a fun, linear, "where's it stop?" kind of power that it's hard not to put your foot in it every chance you get.
Oh, I like what you have done with the vents and the gauge/something I cant figure out right now...
Thanks, I can take credit for that little bit of fab work, that's all me. The thing next to the oil pressure gauge is the Apex AVC-R boost controller.

I may be able to help with the small stuff, but dont' think i can fab a custom bellhousing. But if i can help a local toyota i will.
Thanks vital22re, I really hope I can have this thing running again for some fun in the eastern Washington desert this summer, and I doubt I'll be able to do it without help. Plus I need to meet some folks to wheel with. Do you have a welding setup that is portable?

I think for the bellhousing that I'll need to cut the engine side lip that has the bolt holes off the old bell housing and weld it to the new bellhousing after I cut the engine side lip off it.

Have you done anything like an auto to manual transmission swap before?

I'll hit you up with a PM with my phone #.

I'd be interested to hear advice from anyone who has done an auto to manual transmission swap.

More pics coming for those interested.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:51 PM

what tranny? im sure toyota used an r series tranny somwhere along the years of the supra, get like an r150 or r151 with the supra bell and your in business
Old 02-25-2009, 08:51 PM

That is so ef'ing cool! I'm in Greenwood!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

looks sweet... good luck... hope you finish her soon...
Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Very cool! Do you have to worry about emissions in Seattle on this thing? Just wondering..
Hope you get that last 2% worked out!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:18 PM

that looks amazing i want it!!!
Old 02-28-2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by hillbillydeelux
what tranny? im sure toyota used an r series tranny somwhere along the years of the supra, get like an r150 or r151 with the supra bell and your in business

Turbo Supras came w/ the R154... just have to get a MA70 and not a JZA70. If you find someone that did the 1JZ engine swap, and ordered the 1JZ bellhousing for the 7m Trans, they would have the bellhousing that may potentially work.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:59 PM

7mgte 4runner

Originally Posted by the00flaw
Hey all,
I wanted to do a grand reveal when I was totally done with this little project here, however I now realize that there never really is a done! I’ve gotten close, as in running well, but never got it entirely buttoned-up, and with every two steps forward there seems to be one slip back.

So without further ado, here’s my girl:

1995 4Runner Limited, previously with a 3vze (or 3slow, or 3slug, whatever you prefer) now with a beast 7mgte with all the fix’ns!

Here’s a rundown of the engine, cooling and management:

Engine
7mgte (turbo in-line six from a 87-92 Supra as I’m sure everyone knows)
PT61 ball bearing turbo, .60 A/R (if memory serves)
720 CC injectors
Walbro high flow fuel pump
JE forged pistons
1.2mm HKS metal head gasket
ARP head studs
HKS BOV
Custom ‘straight shot’ intake
headers

Cooling
Griffin 3 core aluminum radiator
2 Flex-A-Lite electric fans
Dual fluid cooler with electric fan – used for engine and transmission oil

Engine Management
Apex AVC-R boost controller
MAP ECU (this is cool it does away with Mass Air Flow meter and instead manages air/fuel through Manifold Air Pressure sensing, allows computer tuning of A/F for given RPM)

I really have to give all the credit to Rob for getting this machine to where it is now. Rob’s the proprietor of Supracharged.com and the master of swapping all things supra, and to my knowledge the originator of the 7mgte 4Runner swap. When I shipped my 4Runner down to him in Utah it was a hot steaming mess, he got it to 90% totally bad azz!

Here’s some pics of my cockpit - Boost gauge on A-pillar, Apex boost controller and oil pressure gauge in dash where top heater vents used to be (hated those things blowing hot air in my face and heating up my soda), using Zeitronix wideband for A/F monitoring.

Sean
Hey I am from Tacoma WA, just got my first 87 supra 7mgte, ready to upgrade. WHat should I do first. PLEASE.
Should I get a radiator, and What kind of oil cooler will in need in order to cool my ENgine and Tranny oil together. Radiator, oil cooler, electric fans, and then the upgrades in boost? Thank you . Nobody has an answer so I am hoping you could help!
Respectfully,
Ben
Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That guy hasn't been here since '09, doubt you'll get a response.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:13 PM

Selling :(

Hey spainobain1234,

Let's see, it's been too long since I bought any of that stuff, so I don't have anything as specific as part numbers.

Radiator is made by Griffin, electric fans are Flex-A-Lite, don't remember what dual-fluid cooler I used I know I got it from the Summit Racing catalog (which is a great resource BTW). Lots of these parts are specific to the truck conversion though.

As far as upgrades:

ARP head studs and HKS metal head gasket, right away!
Manual boost controller
Intake
Headders
Exhaust
Turbo
Wastegate
Blow-off-valve
Fuel pump
Injectors
Etc.
Etc.

Anyway, look at what I did, and that's what I'd do.

Honestly, make a budget and decide if that's going to be your "stage 1" (meaning more engine mods to come), or if that's as far as you're going to go. Then let that determine what you buy.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
WOW!! Nice work man!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:33 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Thats sad to hear. I was looking forward to seeing this beast in person.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:09 PM

Bringing this back from the dead. I will be picking this truck up on Sunday and finishing it. I have the experience to be able to do all of needed to get this back on the road. I will either start a new thread or keep this one updated with the progress.

Well I drove for over 5 hrs one way to get this and unfortunately it has sat out in the elements with the spark plugs out and the oil pan off for well over a year. The fab work on the header and the intake looked like a 3 year old was given a welder and told to have fun. It's a shame to see something that had such potential fall into such a state of disrepair. I was told it was being stored in a garage/shop but it was very clear that that wasn't the case. It will take someone with way more time and money than me to get it going again.

Last edited by toyotamonster; 09-13-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Update