General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Rear main seal backing plate thread repair

Old 07-10-2012, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear main seal backing plate thread repair

Just finished replacing the rear main seal in my 96 t100. the seal went in smoothly and everything seemed like it was going great until i was putting on the two bottom bolts that go through the oil pan and into the backing plate. Originally there were two studs, but at some point during my engine rebuild last winter, they seem to have been exchanged for bolts identical to the others on the oil pan. When I went to install the last one, it went in, but just spun instead of torquing down.

I ended up leaving it alone and finishing everything else up with the intention of coming back to it at the end to figure something out. Well i forgot about it and ended up with an oil leak. I think that its coming out straight from that bolt. Oil forms drips right off of the head is my main reason for believing that. And it only makes sense considering the crank is new, the seal is new, and i used plenty of RTV in conjunction with new gaskets on the oil pan and backing plate.

Fixing it seems impossible to me right now short of taking the transmission out and replacing the backing plate. With the hole for the bolt already only really being halfway there, a time-sert would impossible. Any other ideas before I have to spend another 6 hours under my oil soaked truck?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Is the bolt to short??

Drill and put a thread insert in then put the correct studs back in.

At the least you should drop your oil pan.