General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Possibly dropped washer(s) into w56 shift hole. What now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly dropped washer(s) into w56 shift hole. What now?

Hey guys.

Looks like the shift gasket on my w56 shifter had 6 washers inset into the rubber. Looks like after 20 years the rubber degraded and the washers came loose out of the rubber. After removing the shifter to do some transmission work I found one washer in the gasket, one washer down the shifter hole and 4 of them are AWOL. So the question is:

Could those washers have fallen in and gone deep into the guts of the bearings and gears? I couldnt seem to get my flexi-magnet stick any further than the area immediately below the shifter so it feels like there is some sort of restriction that could have stopped the rest but I cant tell for sure. If they could have fallen in and gone deep, what do I do now? Flush with cheap fluid a couple times? Run it and hope for the best? Full rebuild?
Old 12-20-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Can you pick it up dump it over and shake the truck, maybe they'll fall out?

Sorry couldn't resist. I have no helpful input.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:37 PM

The same thing happened to me a few years back. I was able to find all of mine with my flexi magnet stick. I would try real hard to get them out, maybe even buy a slimmer magnet stick. I has been a while and I don't remember where they would have fallen in the trans as far as if they got to your gears and such yet. If it was me and I still could not find them I would try to turn the trans over by hand and see if anything seems to be binding it. At that point If it were me I would try to change the fluid and hope for the best, maybe check your magnet on the drain plug a few times. Is it possible someone lost those washers years ago?
Old 12-20-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That would absolutely devastate me. Look real hard at the surfaces. Are there fresh imprints where the missing washers should have been? Do the imprints left by the washers that were there look different from the imprints where not there. I hope they were already gone when you got in there. Did you fine the one down the hole or did you helplessly watch it fall down into the abyss?
Old 12-21-2016, 07:46 AM

Unhappy

I was actually just trying to fish out a little piece of rogue rtv when I saw the washer in there. Got that one out no problem and then realized where it came from.

So yeah, its totally possible that those washers went missing last time somebody worked on the tranny. Only two of the 6 holes in the gasket have nice clean round holes where a washer was clearly seated recently. The other 4 are pretty fudged. But there could have still been washers in the messed up holes. There were definitely washers on the other holes at some point, cause there are faint imprints.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Harbor Freight has this for $7.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/flexibl...ool-94614.html If you don't have one close to you any auto parts store will have something similar.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:35 AM

Yeah, I have a similar magnet to that. Maybe even a bit smaller. I cant seem to get it to pass through any of the oil ports so maybe those holes are too small for washers and magnets to pass through? or maybe i just cant get the right angle?

I just amazon-ed a cheap borescope that plugs into a smart phone and has some magnetic attachments as well. Hopefully that will show up soon.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:55 AM

hmmm... i think i found one more in the driveway...
Old 12-21-2016, 12:32 PM

Sweet! Just three more to go. Man I lost sleep last night over this deal. I'm so particular with stuff like that, that I might tear down the whole tranny looking for them.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:40 PM

Ha! youre telling me.... I litterally had nightmares about my tranny eating those washers last night...

I sure hope i dont have to do a full tear down. I just put the damn thing back together... I might go the junkyard tranny route if it comes to that...

Last edited by advlars; 12-21-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:34 PM

Well. the amazon borescope showed the oil hole was big enough for washers to pass through. pulled the tranny and tore it to pieces. no washers to be found. At least I wont be holding my breath for the next 50k miles...
Old 12-22-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
That sucks man. I have torn an engine back apart before because I have great friends. The threw an extra ring and 3 bolts in the bottom of my tray. I seriously had to get revenge for that.

Might have happened to put a piece of electrical tape stuffed up in to their plug wires on the distributor side of the wires. No spark no fire and watched them struggle for a few days with that one.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:57 PM

Funny! I like that trick. My old standard is a big fat zip tie around the drive shaft right were it runs by a heat shield. I felt bad one time though when I did it to a buddy's new truck and then forgot all about it. He had all of the u-joints replaced before I could tell him. He had it coming but didn't mean to cost him any money.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:45 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
That's a good on as well.