YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   painting frame- rust paint experiences? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/painting-frame-rust-paint-experiences-210124/)

Matt16 04-21-2010 01:54 AM

painting frame- rust paint experiences?

I need to paint the frame of my 1987 Landcruiser thats getting a donor frame from another truck. Needless to say, I don't want to have to do this twice. I'm thinking of using MasterSeries rust paint because its half the price of POR15 or Rust Bullet. Anyone have any experience with MasterSeries?

Also, anyone successfully painted the inside of a boxed frame? Do they even sell flexible wands that are like 5' long?

516593812 04-21-2010 01:55 PM

I just did my front wheel wells, rear wheel wells, & my frame rails (the long parallel ones visible from the side of the truck, just under the doors) I pressure washed them with my concrete washer (full pressure) attachment, then i put a whire wheel/ ball on my cordless drill & roughened up the areas to be painted, then i used "Rust-O-Leum Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating" ($8/can- WalMart) this is the better stuff. I sprayed two coats, leeting it dry a few hours in between. It's been a week & it looks & feels great. It's very soild- i took a screwdriver to it & you really have to gouge at it to get some to come off- i'm very pleased with it. I used 4 cans. Hope that helps!

kiyobrown 04-21-2010 02:00 PM

Never heard of the masterseries, although I have heard of both the others.

Looks like you have another product review in your near future. :D

Matt16 04-21-2010 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by 516593812 (Post 51427108)
I just did my front wheel wells, rear wheel wells, & my frame rails (the long parallel ones visible from the side of the truck, just under the doors) I pressure washed them with my concrete washer (full pressure) attachment, then i put a whire wheel/ ball on my cordless drill & roughened up the areas to be painted, then i used "Rust-O-Leum Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating" ($8/can- WalMart) this is the better stuff. I sprayed two coats, leeting it dry a few hours in between. It's been a week & it looks & feels great. It's very soild- i took a screwdriver to it & you really have to gouge at it to get some to come off- i'm very pleased with it. I used 4 cans. Hope that helps!

Don't be putting undercoating over existing rust, as rust loves to form under undercoating. Only put undercoating over virgin (no rust) paint.

peow130 04-21-2010 06:30 PM

I've used POR15 with darn good success.
So i can only really say to use the POR15.

Matt16 04-21-2010 07:03 PM

Good to know peow130, I've heard a lot of people have bad luck with it, but maybe they're doing it wrong.

So far, a gallon of POR-15 is $150 from the parts store, MasterSeries isn't sold in Canada but I can have some shipped up for $150/quart and I haven't priced out Rust Bullet yet. Maybe I'll just make a trip down to Washington and pick some up down there.

tiger 04-21-2010 07:15 PM

hmmm do you hafta use under coating on the frame???? my buddy does motorcycle frames and the paint is real tough and hard to scratch i dont know what it is and i will find out but i thought of stripping my frame and using that stuff which i will do when i do a 4.3 swap and sas this winter and he is right dont paint over rust at all

Matt16 04-22-2010 10:58 AM

Ok Rust Bullet is 1/3 more expensive at $200/gal. Too much. Its either POR-15 and MasterSeries.

pwd 04-22-2010 12:57 PM

Well, after you decide on a rust paint. I would recommend yearly coats of Fluid Film. Its it a nice oil/waxy base that respells water etc and will keep layer over the paint for an extra layer of protection. I've been using it two years and will keep on doing it. I've ordered a paint can size of it an used a spray gun to undercoat. Doesn't drip either. I just need to actually grind down my frame and paint it then coat it, bust its stopped further rust so I'm happy.

pruney81 04-22-2010 01:21 PM

I just painted some POR-15 on my lower control arms and parts of the frame. I just sanded it down and got any loose chunks off before and a week or so and 2K miles later it looks great.

POR-15 is all I can recommend as well.

I paid $45 for a quart of POR-15 when I was in Massachusetts

peow130 04-22-2010 02:39 PM

Wow 150?
I got a quart of the stuff for 50 bucks, plus some brushes and stir sticks for like 5 dollars more.

pruney81 04-22-2010 03:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's some pics of my lower control arm area that I painted with POR-15.

I drove it to Colorado from the east coast right after and I think it help up pretty well.

Matt16 04-22-2010 03:58 PM

sorry, that was $150 for a gallon, not quart

peow130 04-22-2010 04:21 PM

you won't need a gallon lol...
trust me.
i brushed the stuff onto a CJ2A frame and barely used 1/3rd of the quart.