General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Nokian Hakka 10's; 235/85/16 E pics and review

Old 01-23-2007, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nokian Hakka 10's; 235/85/16 E pics and review

Excuse the massive amount of salt, I took a 1,000 mile road trip that involved some really bad roads.

I've had these on for around 2,000 miles so far. I went with the 235/85/16's, which are 31.8" tall by only 9.3 wide. They are load range E, so they are run at 65-80 psi. This is the size of tire commonly found on dually pickups, in the back as duals. I hated how my 4Runner was in deeper snow with my 265/75/16 Revo's, it felt like massive drag and like I was fighting the steering wheel.

These things look a bit goofy, but I'm convinced tall and skinny is the way to go with tires, especially in winter. The skinnier the tire, the more pressure per square inch you get on the ice. I didn't and won't use any studs.

It's hard to make a fair comparison to the Revo's, cause I put these on at first snow. I definitely feel like it's easier to turn and control with the skinny tires. I can still usually break the tires loose on packed snow, but I do feel there's more grip than the Revo's. These things clean out extremely well, which you wouldn't guess by looking at them. The Revo's packed up in my experience. The biggest thing I noticed was just in touching them in the cold... the rubber is very soft even at 0 degrees F. They do ride pretty hard due to the load rating, and you can't air them down much... but that's not something I'd be interested in anyway. Also, since I don't yet have a body lift, I didn't feel there was room for tire chains with the 265/75's... I think these will easily allow chains if need be. Overall, good quality. I bought them for only $530 installed at the local shop. I look forward to seeing what they'll go through once I get my locker installed!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

I had a set of Nokian Vatiiva on my departed Chev I still swear those were the best tires I've ever owned. Skinny tires in deep snow, that seems to be the Canadian military recipe for success, I've never tried it, I'll stay tuned to see how works out.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:05 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
skinny for sure!! I've got 155/80s on my subaru. and they dominate!

I know a bunch of people running Hakkas as winter tires, and they all have great things to say about them!
Old 01-25-2007, 03:30 AM
Contributing Member

Look great! I have the same size, but with Revo's and I love them. I agree that tall and skinny work great, but I'm wondering if you really need that much air in them. I started out around 40psi, and noticed they were over inflated. The revo's say they can take up to 80psi, but my truck isn't heavy enough to require that much air. I tried the chalk test, and found that 32-34 made for even pressure side to side. 40 was going to cause premature wear in the middle.

The e-load range certainly does make for a harsher ride, but it seems much better since I backed off the psi's a bit.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:57 AM

I too prefer tall skinnies in the snow. But you dont have to run them in the 65-80 psi, not only would that jar your teeth out, it will remove most of the traction benefits you get from them. I would drop them down in the 20-30 range for around town snow,and maybe 30-35 for hwy.. .just depends on load... but you certainly dont need 65-80, unless its summer and your just going for the best mileage possible.

The truck I drove in HS has 235/85's on it, 3/4 chevy, and unless it was loaded they were never above 35psi in summer and that was more than enough, and its a heavier rig than your runner.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
I too prefer tall skinnies in the snow. But you dont have to run them in the 65-80 psi, not only would that jar your teeth out, it will remove most of the traction benefits you get from them. I would drop them down in the 20-30 range for around town snow,and maybe 30-35 for hwy.. .just depends on load... but you certainly dont need 65-80, unless its summer and your just going for the best mileage possible.

The truck I drove in HS has 235/85's on it, 3/4 chevy, and unless it was loaded they were never above 35psi in summer and that was more than enough, and its a heavier rig than your runner.
I have the pressure at the bottom of the recommended range, so I don't think you can say having them at the recommended pressure takes away the traction benefits!

What benefit do you think there is to airing them down so low? They will bulge out at the sidewalls, have irregular wear patterns, and possibly break the bead when hitting a bump.

As far as the truck you had before, are you sure it was E rated? Typically you only get E's on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks that pull 5th wheel trailers and carry a LOT of weight.

You are right on the jarring of teeth, coupled with the OME/Tundra coil lift, it's every bit as bad as riding in a 1 ton!
Old 01-25-2007, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
What's indicated on the tire is the maximum amount of pressure they will take.

It is NOT a reccomendation for any particular vehicle.

I would follow the owners manual or do the chalk test.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

I searched & couldn't verify the psi range on your tires. I know my revos have a much wider range, at 32-34 I'm towards the low end, but it's correct for the 4runners weight. At least with the revo 235/85/16 load range e tires, 60 psi would probably be ok for at 2000lbs per corner? Even at 40psi I was riding on the middle of the tires, if I'd left it there they would have started to wear funny. I guess those must be different.

edit: I'm not trying to say you are wrong, or be a jerk. It just strikes me as odd. i really like the look of your tires.

Last edited by tulsa_97SR5; 01-25-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 98LimitedCustomized
I have the pressure at the bottom of the recommended range, so I don't think you can say having them at the recommended pressure takes away the traction benefits!

What benefit do you think there is to airing them down so low? They will bulge out at the sidewalls, have irregular wear patterns, and possibly break the bead when hitting a bump.

As far as the truck you had before, are you sure it was E rated? Typically you only get E's on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks that pull 5th wheel trailers and carry a LOT of weight.

You are right on the jarring of teeth, coupled with the OME/Tundra coil lift, it's every bit as bad as riding in a 1 ton!

I dont think you understand the rating of the tire. The number on the side is a MAX psi, and I have never seen a tire give a reccommened pressure range as that is different on every application. And 30 psi is not low by any means.

Also it will too decrease traction as the tire cannont conform or flex, so you essentially have a hard rubber tire. Ever see a forklift gain traction on a wet surface? They dont becusae the tires dont flex. Why do you think people air down offroad.. it increases traction.. the same is true on the road.. but you cant run as low of psi.

Take some air out of your tires, do a search around for finding the propper pressue and you will be a much happier camper... And I would guess that running them a 65psi will cause the center to wear out super fast, as that will be where the majority of the weight is.

I did a quick search and couldnt find that tires specs, so I used the BFG AT specs.. .you have enough air in those tires for a vehicle that weighs 9886 pounds, your 4runner weighs 3940... assuming a 50/50 weight distro thats only 25psi, but will probally take a few more psi due to the narrow tire. I would start at 30 and go from there....

And yes they were E rated tires, I have never seen a 235/85/16 that isnt E rated, but thats beside the point....and when they are run as duals in the rear, they are also run upfront on 99% of vehicles..100% from the factory.