General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

No reverse in A340e (2000 2wd v8 auto tundra)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No reverse in A340e (2000 2wd v8 auto tundra)

If I got the trans designation wrong I apologize.

I have been driving this truck for 60k/5 years with no reverse. It shifts better than any tundra I have ever driven (have 2 others currently, still like this one more)

I am going to try to fix this issue, I am just hoping someone can tell me which direction to head in.

It tries to drive forward in drive, reverse, and neutral, when turned on. I don't let it drive in neutral or reverse, except one time I accidentally drove it in neutral and it didn't want to upshift properly.

It rolls backwards in reverse and neutral when shut off. I have been driving it like this for 5 years like I said. no issues shifting at all. no clunks or bangs.

I have read its the bands. its the solenoids, and that its a linkage issue. I cannot find any issue with the linkage. I have even disconnected it and shift the linkage manually.

I bought the truck with no reverse. It was a landscaping truck, which leads me to believe it did a lot of backing up with heavy loads/trailers. I know it sounds silly to care so much, but the truck drives like a dream. Its my truck. No matter how many other tundras come and go (probably bought and sold 10 over the course of owning this one) this one is mine. Sometimes it just feels right. It looks right. It drives right. It even smells right.

If I can fix this thing myself at home I would be happy to. Otherwise I was thinking I would upgrade to a an 04-06 so I get that extra gear and the benefits.

Is there any way to pull trans codes from this tundra trans? who do I talk to? Is there a tutorial?

The tundra forums are zero help. thanks. awesome forum.

Last edited by major shake; 08-19-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2023, 05:19 AM

Bummp
Old 11-04-2023, 06:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
did you have it checked by a professional ?

Last edited by jeremy harp; 11-05-2023 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:41 PM

No. I have put 100k more miles on it though, and It still shifts perfectly going not backwards. I owned and ran a full service automotive shop. I know how that process goes. I am not a ˟˟˟˟ing transmission expert. I am also not paying someone 3k to rebuild a transmission that shifts perfectly, and has every indication it will run another 100k, being abused like ˟˟˟˟, if I don't mess with it. I use it to haul ˟˟˟˟, and redline it everywhere. zero issues. except for no go backwards. I am not pulling it out until someone can tell me exactly what is wrong with it. I am not paying for exploratory surgery. If someone knows, they will know, and tell me. If they don't know, they won't be able to tell me. Maybe you like how the automotive industry functions, but I ˟˟˟˟ing hate it so much I opened my own shop. And guess what, we had to turn more customers away than we took in, because we didn't do the ˟˟˟˟ everyone hates. Like exploratory bull˟˟˟˟, or lying, or throwing parts at ˟˟˟˟. We only touched she we knew the problem with and that was that. So I will run this thing until it explodes, or someone tells me exactly what went wrong with it. I am over a decade on it, it is the best truck I have ever driven. I am buying another 2000 in a couple of days to pull this one and do its first round of actual maintenance since I have owned it, then it should be good for another 5 -10 years. It's had 3 oil changes, 2 oil filters, and a battery, and pads once. I have cooked 5 other tundras in the time since the last post, they couldn't take the abuse this thing can, it loves doing 90-100mph loaded down. burns zero oil. Doesn't leak. Doesn't care. I did a sub 6 second 0-60 last week just to spite my buddy who bought a minty x-runner. lol. I am not messing up something perfect. I was going to 6 years ago, but not now. I am going to put a new brake system on it, and grease every bolt in the spring packs, and whatever else is needed in the suspension I can find. And give it its fourth oil change. And put a new ac compressor in it, it finally gave up the ghost after 300k. And a new windshield. And a new carpet. And have it detailed. And rust treat everything, and then oil the entire thing. And put new wheels and tires on it. And then go right back to driving it like I stole it. Maybe shocks but I like the smooth ride of the old ones. They are fine. Never getting rid of it. Not touching the drivetrain unless I know what's up with the trans, and even then, maybe not. But I would like to know. I can tell you I have heard people say its a ton of different things, just like I said in the original post, but they don't ACTUALLY know. Not a single trans shop or rebuilder in the last decade has said, I have seen that before, its X. okey dokey. Internet yields nothing. So ˟˟˟˟ it. I will update back when I hit 400k in another 5 years or whatever, I bet there still won't be an actual answer, I bet this thing will still be running like a raped ape, and I bet I will have run another 5-10 trucks into the ground on the side.