YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   no cupholders? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/no-cupholders-76945/)

L33T35T 4Runner 01-22-2006 06:08 PM

no cupholders?

what were they thinking? i thought my 95 cupholders were bad... but my 85 has NO cupholders? has anybody mounted any type of aftermarket cup holder? suggestions? :rockon:

Glenn 01-22-2006 06:15 PM

I got something from Wal-Mart that went over the tranny hump on my old '86. That worked OK....

Mostly Lurkin' 01-22-2006 06:23 PM

A buddy of mine uses an old hiking boot in his 1980 4x4. He puts in on the tranny hump right in front of the bench seat. He just loosens up the laces when he has a LARGE drink... :hillbill:

calrockx 01-22-2006 06:38 PM

maybe people concentrated more on driving back then? :dunno:

like glenn said, you can find a bunch of after-market cup support. or be ultra cool and do a 99+ cupholder install. :D

JHupp 01-22-2006 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mostly Lurkin'
A buddy of mine uses an old hiking boot in his 1980 4x4. He puts in on the tranny hump right in front of the bench seat. He just loosens up the laces when he has a LARGE drink... :hillbill:

gotta love the redneck ingenouity, I really like that one though, that is a good idea.

Etype R 01-23-2006 05:23 AM

Roll of duct tape, fits cans and many cups perfectly. And a full roll has a wide base, sticks very well. And you always have some duct tape on hand :P

nrgetic99 01-23-2006 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by L33T35T 4Runner
what were they thinking? i thought my 95 cupholders were bad... but my 85 has NO cupholders? has anybody mounted any type of aftermarket cup holder? suggestions? :rockon:

Search google for a PASSAT cupholder.

They do a retrofit dealy that screws to tansmission tunnel (98-2000 models)

It folds flat when not in use out of harms way and has two slots.

www.clairparts.com used to have them.

David

Robinhood150 01-23-2006 03:31 PM

what were they thinking... my 85 has NO cupholders?

Yes young padawan...cup holders are a new invention. You see, back in my day when we walked to school uphill both ways in the snow in San Diego...

bob200587 01-23-2006 03:39 PM

$1 at walmart will get you four cup holders that just hang on the glove box. It will hold anything but those really heavy 32oz.+ cups.

Tacoma Dude 01-23-2006 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
Yes young padawan...cup holders are a new invention. You see, back in my day when we walked to school uphill both ways in the snow in San Diego...

hmmm... I think I remember doing that too.
Except it was pretty flat - oh and sunny too.
But other than that yeah, pretty much the same :)

I haven't done any long trips in my truck (Pismo exception) so I haven't really had the need for cup holders but when I eventually replace my center console with an ammo can I think I'll be mounting a permanent solution. In the meantime I just pop the center console lid up and put my soda in there.

RedRunner_87 01-23-2006 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
hmmm... I think I remember doing that too.
Except it was pretty flat - oh and sunny too.
But other than that yeah, pretty much the same :)

I haven't done any long trips in my truck (Pismo exception) so I haven't really had the need for cup holders but when I eventually replace my center console with an ammo can I think I'll be mounting a permanent solution. In the meantime I just pop the center console lid up and put my soda in there.

That was my solution. My other one was to put inbetween the legs for short distances. But that was hard to do while driving a stick for me.

L33T35T 4Runner 01-23-2006 11:17 PM

eactly, auto is alright, but stick is really hard. i ended up opening the center console, sticking the cup in front, and put my chipotle bag behind it to make a tight fit.

i mainly use it when im picking up lunch or something, i need a place to hold it while im driving. not necessarly to continue drinking while im driving

jordanirvin 01-24-2006 12:36 AM

I don't know if this will help:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ight=cupholder

I haven't seen the interior of the 85, but I had a '95 and agree that the cupholders in that were awful.

good luck