YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   New bumper...tons of rust spots from rain! (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/new-bumper-tons-rust-spots-rain-270723/)

KtrainHurricane 07-08-2013 12:20 AM

New Bumper...Tons of Rust Spots From Rain!

I was in an accident a few weeks ago, and had my truck repaired by a local shop (which I would NOT recommend, but that is another story...)

One of the things replaced was the front chrome bumper. Upon first receiving my truck back, the bumper did not look "as chrome" as the original one. It almost looked like a brushed finish...sort of. Either way, I figured it was close enough and did not say anything about it, thinking that perhaps this is just how the new chrome bumpers look.

I live in South Florida, and since it is summertime we have been getting tons of rain. Granted, it rains all the time down here, year-round, but the summers are always the worst. Along with this rain I have been getting TONS of little rust spots all of my new front bumper. EVERY time. I have wiped them off with a rag, used products like Never Dull (wading polish), etc. And they keep coming back.

Is this normal? Is there some product I can use to keep this from happening? I find this situation particularly odd because my rear bumper does not suffer from this. Any reason why that would be?

crazypaint 07-08-2013 02:48 AM

Let it rust up for a day or 2 then call ur insurance company up or take it back to the shop they should get you a new one

SPARKS89 07-08-2013 04:04 AM

If you can wipe the rust spots off the bumper I can't help but wonder if they are coming from somewhere else and dripping onto the bumper. It might sound crazy, but maybe put some plastic wrap on the bumper and let it rain and see if the rust spots are still there.

85sr5excab 07-08-2013 05:52 AM

It's a common problem with cheap aftermarket bumpers. The quality is just not up to par.

KtrainHurricane 07-08-2013 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 85sr5excab (Post 52094628)
It's a common problem with cheap aftermarket bumpers. The quality is just not up to par.

So you think the body shop ordered me a cheap aftermarket one then?

If this is the case, is there ANYTHING I can do? Any type of polish or protectant? It is REALLY bad!

crazypaint 07-08-2013 08:50 AM

They use aftermarket parts take it back with the rust showing it was chromed bad at the factory they will replace it

85sr5excab 07-08-2013 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane (Post 52094661)
So you think the body shop ordered me a cheap aftermarket one then?

If this is the case, is there ANYTHING I can do? Any type of polish or protectant? It is REALLY bad!

I've not dealt with an ins claim and aftermarket parts so I don't know what to tell u. I've just seen firsthand buddies of mine trying to save a few bucks by ordering cheap replacements and having the same results as u. I would think if it's aftermarket the ins company would have had to approve that and I THINK u can right that. If its a factory replacement then it is a defect and should be corrected. Hope u get it straightened out. Good luck.

KtrainHurricane 07-08-2013 02:46 PM

I guess I need to note that the person I got into an accident with did not have insurance, so I paid for all of this out of pocket. Cost over $4k out of my pocket and the situation seems to just keep getting worse and worse.