General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

*NEED HELP* Toyota pickup running extremely rough

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*NEED HELP* Toyota pickup running extremely rough

Hey, guys, I'm new to this site and am looking for some help here.

I have a 94 Toyota pickup (22RE) that is running just horribly, there is a hesitation in the acceleration once the truck warms up and it gets so bad to the point where the truck dies and stalls. I found this to be weird considering all of the tune-up and maintenance put into this aren't even a year old. So I decided to start fresh with the basics, distributor cap, rotor, wires and plugs. Still the same thing happening. I found a leak in one of the fuel lines on top of the sending units and was able to fix that. NO CHANGE, so I decided to check the engine light code, and it was coming up Code 25 which is a lean air to fuel ratio, so I decided to run a fuel pressure test, so I hooked it up to the cold start injector, and when I turn the key to on get nothing at all, but when I start it up it goes to 32psi which seems right. I need your guy's help; anything is appreciated.

Thanks a lot, guys!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:13 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts

Welcome!

Originally Posted by Yotaa94
... and when I turn the key to on get nothing at all, but when I start it up it goes to 32psi which seems right.
This ^^ is normal operation. The fuel pump should not turn on until the key is turned to the START position. The fuel pump should continue running after the engine starts and the key is returned to the ON position.

However, the fuel pressure does look a little low. The factory manual shows that the fuel pressure should be 38-44 psi. For the most accurate results for comparison, use the procedure shown in the Factory Repair Manual here: http://htftp.offroadsz.com/marinhake...28fuelpump.pdf

Since you checked for codes already, you probably already know that you can substitute the SST jump wire for a paperclip or your own jump wire.

I would also check for vacuum leaks, most notably check the rubber intake boot that connects to the throttle body for cracks.

EDIT: Have you done any modifications to your truck, in particular the engine? Modifications are good for us to know about because they could relate to the problem.

Last edited by old87yota; 12-13-2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Modifications?
Old 12-13-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Old87Yota,
Thanks for your reply man, There are no modifications done to the engine, Completely stock 22RE 5-speed manual.

I have used the soap trick and covered the vacuum hoses and seemed to be no leaks on any of the hoses.

What do you think could be causing the 6 psi difference in the fuel pressure.

Thanks in Advance, Chris