General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Mobil 1 vs O'Rielly synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobil 1 vs O'Rielly synthetic

Would you trust store brand synthetic like you would mobil 1?

In my 3rd Gen 4-runner and GS300 I have K&N filters and don't get around dirt roads (or salt) very often. I've been changing the oil every 10,000 miles and using Mobil 1 oil and filters. I just got a flyer and O'Rielly's "Full Synthetic" is only $3.29.

Tempting but....
Old 03-31-2011, 06:29 AM

Who makes it for them ?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd see if you can find a virgin oil analysis on BITOG to compare it. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Old 03-31-2011, 06:48 PM

Thanks. Some interesting discussions on their boards. Its not worth saving the money if I can't still use it for 10k miles. Mostly they liked it but weren't confident it was equal to M1.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:08 PM

You can request the MSDS sheet from O'Reilly's and it should list who makes it for them. From there you can decide if you trust the name, or if you want to keep paying for Mobil 1.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:42 AM

Who makes O'Reilly's oil?

FYI... Napa's oil is made at the same place Valvoline oil is made (Ashland).
Old 04-02-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run Mobil 1 engine oil, transfercase, transmission and diferential gear oils. I would never change to another brand. My truck is 28 years old and I don't have gear noise, shifter noise, seal / gasket problems, etc.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnydclark
Thanks. Some interesting discussions on their boards. Its not worth saving the money if I can't still use it for 10k miles. Mostly they liked it but weren't confident it was equal to M1.
Uhhhhh....
You shouldn't run your oil for 10k miles, anyways.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by peow130
Uhhhhh....
You shouldn't run your oil for 10k miles, anyways.
x2. 5-6k tops with synthetic. Last time I was running syn I would change oil every 6,000 miles but change the filter every 3K. Time constraints ie 3 months doesn't affect syn like it does dino, but still affects it.

If your running syn for the simple reason longer between oil changes that's a misconception and defeats the benefit of the oil in which it was intended. Less wear and better protection.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 04-02-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:03 PM

Ahh...you shouldn't run your oil for 10K miles??? Back it up fellas! Let's see your facts! I can show you many, many, many oil analysis that show otherwise. Don't spew untruths unless you have the facts to back it up.

Last edited by CTRJ; 04-03-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Protip: reread if you don't know what anyone is talking about.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 AM

Mobil 1 claims 10k miles or 15k for extended performance (normal driving)

Mobil 1 states 10,000 miles is ok.
http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/...n_mobil_1.aspx

Here is info from their site on their extended performance version.

What is the difference between Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Mobil 1?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with a boosted level of protection and performance. Mobil 1 Extended Performance, with the Advanced SuperSyn System, contains 50 percent more SuperSyn than Mobil 1. (Updated March 2006)

If Mobil 1 Extended Performance is recommended for 15,000-mile intervals, what’s the maximum limit to which it can be pushed? In other words, if a driver goes an extra 1,000 miles or so, is he going to damage his engine?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance is recommended for up to 15,000-mile or one-year oil change intervals. However, if your vehicle manufacturer recommends an oil change interval beyond 15,000 miles and Mobil 1 meets the performance level specified, you can be assured that Mobil 1 will go the distance.

Do I need to flush my engine before switching to Mobil 1 Extended Performance?

You do not need to flush your engine prior to changing to Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

Upon what driving conditions are these performance claims based? Normal or severe driving conditions?

These claims relate to all typical consumer driving conditions, excluding those mentioned below. In other words, if you drive under normal conditions and use Mobil 1 Extended Performance in your vehicle, the oil is guaranteed to protect your engine for 15,000 miles. We also recommend that drivers consult their owner’s manual while their vehicle is under warranty, and follow the guidelines set forth there. Additionally, we recommend that if consumers drive routinely in severe conditions that they follow the oil change interval recommended in their owner's manual for severe conditions. We define "severe conditions" as:
racing or commercial applications;
frequent towing or hauling;
extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or
excessive idling.

If I go longer between oil change intervals, do I need to change my oil filter more frequently? Or do I need a special filter?

Continue to change your oil filter when you change your engine oil. Special filters, or more frequent oil filter changes are not required.

However, Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters provide outstanding performance during longer oil change intervals. Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters are designed to offer excellent efficiency (remove more engine oil impurities) and high capacity (60 percent greater capacity than conventional oil filters), which make them ideal candidates for longer oil change intervals. (Updated March 2006)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:15 AM

^^^^ I would say the same thing about my oil if I were trying to sell it and use points to better myself from the competing oil manufactures. Run that stuff at 15,000 mile intervals and if something happens to the engine try to get it covered under the vehicle manufacture's warranty. I won't happen.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:04 AM

Just my .02...if Mobil 1 was saying 15k miles, and people were ruining their engines because of long oil change intervals, they'd be getting sued left and right, and probably wouldn't say their oil is good for 15k miles. Mobil 1 is an established company with a great rep and I don't think they'd risk that by spewing false info about their products.

That being said...I wouldn't run synthetic for 15k miles either
Old 04-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

Whats "normal" driving conditions??? I drive like a crazy some days and others I drive like a grandma...do they equal out and make it normal than? I'd say if you start it and drive it...you should prolly change the oil a little more regularly.
Dunno if saving a few bucks in the short run will pay for the motor and work to replace your current one.
Good luck
Old 04-03-2011, 11:04 AM

I read an article a while ago that explained than when running synthetic motor oil,even though the oil did not break down as quickly, it was the by-products of combustion that built up in the oil that still requires a oil change after several thousand miles. These impurities are not removed by the oil filter. This makes sense to me, but then again I am just a guy who works on his own vehicles as a part-time hobby.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
^^^^ I would say the same thing about my oil if I were trying to sell it and use points to better myself from the competing oil manufactures. Run that stuff at 15,000 mile intervals and if something happens to the engine try to get it covered under the vehicle manufacture's warranty. I won't happen.
I'm a mechanical engineer and, in my narrow field, I have seen the opposite. For instance, Tide says to use 1/2 cup of detergent when you actually would get better cleaning with 1/4 cup. Why do they recommend more? Because they want to sell more of it. I believe that cars are burning so much cleaner than they used to (remember carburetters?) and tolerances have gotten tighter (for most manufacturers) and material technology (synthetic as well as normal) has come along ways. Should we really be changing oil the same frequency (every 3,000 miles) as we were 30 years ago? Manufacturer like to have you come in for service every 3,000 miles so why would they recommend 10k or 15k between oil changes?

I don't stretch the mileage between changes so much to save money as to save the hassle of climbing under there and doing it. (which really makes no sense in light of the fact that I pulled a 3VZ-E last night and finished at 1am.) Plus it is easier to remember the 10k mile markers. I'm terrible at record keeping.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 PM

your right, oil has changed aot in 30 years. IMO it's worse now for most manufactures. Only two on the market that I can think of that still use ZDDP (zinc) a critical protection element in their oil. Valvoline and Rotella. Your mention of engines changing and current tolerances in new motors etc etc, to me is not a valid point, because most of us on here are driving 20+ year old vehicles. And if anything, with the current crap in gasoline, these engines run even worse.

As far as wanting to sell and advertise 10-15K oil changes it's called market share. Anything to downgrade another competitors offerings, although may not put more money in their own pocket, it takes away from the pocket of the competitors while gaining themselves market share. Believe me, they make more money on their own stock market gains then they do in actual product. Mobil 1 has been around a long time and know how to work the market. This is one reason why they have been around a long time.