General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Marlin crawler shifter ball seat question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marlin crawler shifter ball seat question

so i replaced my shifter seat with the white one https://www.marlincrawler.com/transm...ver-ball-seats

and the seal that should sit underneath the seat wouldn't enable the spring loaded cap to press in and twist. I had to take the seal that sits beneath the ball seat out in order to press down the spring cap and twist it in place. Is this normal? Does the new seat act as a seal as well? It didn't look like it had sealing abilities with its shape and form.

I will say with a new seat and socket http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...t-lever-socket
from marlin crawler my truck shifter feels amazing. I had no ball seat or plug left, they had just disintigrated away and there was some nasty ˟˟˟˟ in there. Kinda want to do a few tranny flushes to get that ˟˟˟˟ out.

just read on marlin they said to take the rubber seat seal out... nvm...

Last edited by 87xjmike; 04-19-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 AM

Yeah I took the seal out on mine no problems.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 AM

Not a seal, more of a vibration dampener. And yep it has to come out.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:11 PM

installing the Marlin Crawler plastic shifter seat

I know this is an old thread but just in case there's a search on the subject like I did today.

It can be done, the edge of the poly seal is recessed to let the lock ring depress further than it looks. There is enough room to leave the rubber seal at the bottom. This is how I did it. Already put in the white plastic seat you got from Marlin Crawler in the housing and greased it. It just rotates around the pins with the rubber seal at the bottom.

stack three milk crates with the top one bottom-up.

Set the shifter housing flat on the milk crate and put the shifter assembly into the housing with the end of the shifter through the milk crate.

Second person has a piece of wood to push the lock ring down into the housing, down a little past the top of the housing.

Two flat blade screwdrivers to put on either side of the shift against the flat part of the lock ring.

rotate both screwdrivers around the shifter against the flats of the lock ring.

Popped right in.

The transmission shifts like new now. The original seat had disintegrated into crumbs and shifting was hit or miss. Now it's perfect.