YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   Has Anyone Had There Ecm Rebuilt? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/has-anyone-had-there-ecm-rebuilt-73836/)

elnido 12-12-2005 10:33 AM

Has Anyone Had There Ecm Rebuilt?

Just curious if I should replace my (showing signs of minimal failure) with a used one for around $200, or pull mine and have it rebuilt for around $300. Brand new costs over a grand.:scared:
Thanks for input.

MTL_4runner 12-12-2005 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by elnido
Just curious if I should replace my (showing signs of minimal failure) with a used one for around $200, or pull mine and have it rebuilt for around $300. Brand new costs over a grand.:scared:
Thanks for input.

Don't bother, just put in a used one.

elnido 12-12-2005 11:29 AM

just keep tossing in used ones? I imagine, the used ones I find will develop problems since there seems to be a life-expectancy limitation on these things. Do you think a refurb is worth the $ considering it's a lot less ($299) than a new one?

MTL_4runner 12-12-2005 11:41 AM

just keep tossing in used ones? I imagine, the used ones I find will develop problems since there seems to be a life-expectancy limitation on these things. Do you think a refurb is worth the $ considering it's a lot less ($299) than a new one?

Something does not sound right there....I worked as a mechanic for quite a few years and I think I only saw us replace maybe 4-5 ECUs on maybe 2-3k cars and trucks we worked on. ECUs very rarely fail without some sort of physical damage (salt water, corrosion, impacts, etc). Are you sure your ECU is actually to blame?

elnido 12-12-2005 12:18 PM

The toyota tech who replaced my Solenoid E (PO773) could not get the CEL to go away even after it's replacement. Another guy there had a T100 and swapped the ECM, they said that remedied the situation. I was then informed that everything functioned properly, but I'd be looking at needing a new ECM in the next 18 months or so.
I read an article on ECM's somewhere online, that's where I got the life-expectancy idea.
Thanks for responding.

Truck drives great by the way, other than the 17-18 mpg.

midiwall 12-12-2005 01:25 PM

...other than the 17-18 mpg.

You're 2-3mpg beyond me!

I didn't post into this thread earlier 'cause I figured I must be lost or you really didn't mean the ECM/ECU. So you really _are_ talking about replacing the main computer? wow.

Umm, Jamie's got a lot more experience than I do, but I gotta "ditto" him. Short of physical damage (like a hammer to the box or a severe dunking), it shouldn't have a shelf life.

Just what did the tech have to say for a reason to "need a new ECM in the next 18 months or so". I can't believe those words are anything but a cashflow ploy.

tc 12-12-2005 04:19 PM

What kind of blinker fluid and muffler bearings did he say you needed?

Delve into the CEL code using the search on here, and eliminate all the other possibilities first before condemning the ECU...

elnido 12-12-2005 04:21 PM

First of all, I should say it was a dealership that did the service. I went with them because they seemed to have the best idea of what was happening with the solenoid. The service mgr. told me that the ECM failure was "down the road" that I should be considering this. Even saying about 18 months or so before needed replacement. He mentioned the ECM is sending "bad" info to the shift solenoids which in turn will cause pre mature failure in those type of components. I did some web surfing and notice quite a few outfits that perform refurbishing (r&R) that can take only 72 hours door to door, just send them your ECM.
ANYWAY, MY COMPUTER STILL SAYS I HAVE A BUM SOLENOID E (PO773 SHIFT SOLENOID E /ELECTRICAL), WHEN THAT IS WHAT THEY REPLACED.

Glad to get your opinions.
thanks

MTL_4runner 12-12-2005 06:03 PM

First of all, I should say it was a dealership that did the service. I went with them because they seemed to have the best idea of what was happening with the solenoid. The service mgr. told me that the ECM failure was "down the road" that I should be considering this. Even saying about 18 months or so before needed replacement. He mentioned the ECM is sending "bad" info to the shift solenoids which in turn will cause pre mature failure in those type of components. I did some web surfing and notice quite a few outfits that perform refurbishing (r&R) that can take only 72 hours door to door, just send them your ECM.
ANYWAY, MY COMPUTER STILL SAYS I HAVE A BUM SOLENOID E (PO773 SHIFT SOLENOID E /ELECTRICAL), WHEN THAT IS WHAT THEY REPLACED.

Glad to get your opinions.
thanks

I am glad you posted the code because now at least there is something to go by. It is definately not a common code so there is not alot of history to go from. Unless there is a design problem (which should be covered by a TSB if it is an issue) then a used computer should fix the problem if that is indeed the true cause.

You might read this and contact this guy to see if he got his resolved:
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/sho...oto=nextoldest

Another good document on tranny code diagnosis:
http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost..._DIAGNOSIS.PDF

midiwall 12-12-2005 09:14 PM

The service mgr. told me that the ECM failure was "down the road" that I should be considering this. Even saying about 18 months or so before needed replacement.

How can anyone predict failure of something 18 months down the road? omg... Golly, I may need a hip replacement 18 months from now, I guess I'd better start shopping for a donor.

Hey Jamie... How tall are you? What's your hip size? :)

Sounds like that dealer is top-notch. yikes. Care to tell us who it was so that we can all stay away?

MTL_4runner 12-13-2005 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by midiwall
How can anyone predict failure of something 18 months down the road? omg... Golly, I may need a hip replacement 18 months from now, I guess I'd better start shopping for a donor.

Hey Jamie... How tall are you? What's your hip size? :)

Sounds like that dealer is top-notch. yikes. Care to tell us who it was so that we can all stay away?

I'd like to see the toyota design engineer's face when the tech proclaimed that the ECU would need to be replaced every 18 months or so to prevent damage to tranny components. :laugh:

midiwall 12-13-2005 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I'd like to see the toyota design engineer's face when the tech proclaimed that the ECU would need to be replaced every 18 months or so to prevent damage to tranny components. :laugh:

:D A buddy of mine writes the code for the tranny ECU in the Corvette. Maybe I'll run this by him...
"Hey Jeff? Jeff? Are you there? hello?" :)

elnido... You mentioned having read some online articles that got you thinking this way. Can you pass along a pointer to those?

From what I've seen online, the ECU rebuilders are doing two things: 1) If yours has been busted ("hammer style"!) or dunked then they'll "refurb" it which probably amounts to them heading to a local junkyard and swapping guts with yours. 2) They're re-flashing the ECU which is a process where the software that's in the ECU is replaced in order to either garner more performance from the engine, or to update it with a later rev.

And just so we're clear... Jamie, TC and I aren't poking fun at you - though it may seem that we're having fun at your expense. We're looking forward to helping you really figure this out, but we just needed to laugh a bit along the way. cool?

MTL_4runner 12-13-2005 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by midiwall
And just so we're clear... Jamie, TC and I aren't poking fun at you - though it may seem that we're having fun at your expense. We're looking forward to helping you really figure this out, but we just needed to laugh a bit along the way. cool?

I am more laughing at what the dealer service manager said than anything else.
The crap that comes out of some of these guys is just unbelievable.
....it's called "make up your own reality to fit the situation".

I never go to the dealer anymore for exactly this reason (I understand not everyone has the option).

We are not here to poke fun at anyone's expense and we do want to solve the issue.

elnido 12-13-2005 08:36 AM

fella's, have a ball, I'm hip to the "stealership" vibe, again the only reason I went to them is because they seemed to know what the problem was. I had my most trusted private mechanic pull the solenoid, test it put it back in and infer that I can spend all sorts of money to get the CEL to go out, but the parts function fine. The only reason I had it fixed is because I've been canceling the CEL everytime I start the truck for a year now. I'm driving halfway down Baja MX, and back next week, and I'd love the reassurance by my ECM that everything is cool.
I looked for that quote about ECM's lifespan, can't find it. I guess the thing to do is toss a different ECM into the equation and see what happens, I guess it's about a $100 gamble, but if my shift solenoid was indeed ok, I'm out $500 already.
I appreciate your help boys.

elnido 12-14-2005 07:09 AM

(bump)

Adam F 12-14-2005 09:08 AM

Find a buddy with the same truck, and swap i his ECM. See if that fixes it.

elnido 12-19-2005 10:44 PM

the tech did just that and said it fixed the problem, my curiosity lies with the common consensus being that an ECM shouldn't go bad unless hammered or dunked.
thoughts? :bang:

MTL_4runner 12-20-2005 09:07 AM

the tech did just that and said it fixed the problem, my curiosity lies with the common consensus being that an ECM shouldn't go bad unless hammered or dunked.
thoughts? :bang:

Give it some time ane make sure the mechanic is indeed correct.
Do you have the other ECU they supposedly replaced? You might want to open it up.
I guess I am a skeptic, but did they give you an explanation as to why the ECUs were crapping out?
Like I said, replacing ECUs is the exception, not the rule.

rudestar 12-20-2005 09:13 AM

Watched dozens of T100's crushed with computer still inside. It's not worth the $10.00 it would cost me if I wanted it.
If you need any other 85 to 95 Truck or 4runner computer I have all years and most #'s available $25 each except turbo $50.
The only thing the Dealer is good for is cutting keys from code. Other than that all they know how to do is take your $.

elnido 01-07-2006 04:01 PM

I've put 4500 miles on my T-100 in the last 2weeks (big trip to BAJA) and other than getting an occasional AT/temp light (when I forget to kill O/D on long hills), the truck is driving perfect. What I'm starting to notice is the only time the tranny doesn't seem to shift perfectly, is when the CEL is on. When I cancel the CEL with a code reader(I do this about 98% of the time), the tranny shifts real smooth. IS THIS POSSIBLE? Does my ECM need to be "reflashed"?
Looks like time for a tranny cooler as well.