General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Going to Death Valley in my '99 PreRunner - lets see what I can do

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Going to Death Valley in my '99 PreRunner - lets see what I can do

I'll be camping for 3 days in death valley next weekend. There are hundreds of miles of offroad trails there. Many of which just require high clearance but I want to go onto some of the "4x4 Required" trails to check out some of the old mining sites and ghost towns.

Hopefully someone around here has been through there and has an idea of the type of terrain. From what I've read it there can be some steep inclines, gravel, sand, and washed out areas. It's not like I will be bouldering or doing anything too steep, but I figure I can do a bit more than what the park service is limiting me to.

I plan on lowering the tire pressure and I do have a Rear Diff lock so that may help me out a bit in rocky/sandy situations.

I plan on purchasing a Hi Lift and tow straps--just in case, even though there are no trees to tie onto. I will also bring a shovel, some carpet, and 2x4s or 2x6s. I also have tire chains I will bring for elevated areas in case of snow.

I'm a newb at off-roading but I'm not too much of a retard. My only goal is to not wreck my truck. Getting stuck might be a minor inconvenience, but since there is no mud I'm not too worried.

Any other suggestions?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
uhh..yea...it wouldnt be a good idea to go by yourself...or even with somebody else...unless u take 2 4x4's....i never go muddin by myself...i always go with my friends and their muddin bunch...it just makes everything alot safer...
Old 02-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

go with someone with 4wd and you'll be fine, DV is not the place to be stuck by yourself. It can easily turn into way more than a "minor inconvenience" with no onre around for miles and miles and no cell service.

we took a stock 2wd no locker through a bunch of trails but he would have been crazy to do it by himself
Old 02-28-2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by slosurfer
go with someone with 4wd and you'll be fine, DV is not the place to be stuck by yourself. It can easily turn into way more than a "minor inconvenience" with no onre around for miles and miles and no cell service.

we took a stock 2wd no locker through a bunch of trails but he would have been crazy to do it by himself

Hmmm, yeah that'd be the smart thing to do. Only if I knew someone who could go.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by enthdigry
Hmmm, yeah that'd be the smart thing to do. Only if I knew someone who could go.
check out expeditionportal.com/forum they almost always have someone there this time of year
Old 02-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

if anything you could find out there itenerary and know what trails will have vehicles on them on which day
Old 02-29-2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by enthdigry
I'm a newb at off-roading but I'm not too much of a retard. My only goal is to not wreck my truck. Getting stuck might be a minor inconvenience, but since there is no mud I'm not too worried.
Stuck can be a lot more than inconvenient if nobody is around for miles in Death Valley. That place is huge.

And there is plenty of mud when it rains. I was there a few years ago where miles and miles of payed road was washed away by flash floods. If its raining be mindful of where you are and get on paved road and high ground.

If your solo, don't be too bold. It won't take much to get stuck in a stock 2wd. A soft sandy shoulder can do you in, be careful where you stop. Momentum is your friend but tread lightly.

I suggest a come-along and a dead man in addition to a shovel and straps.

What tires do you have? I hope you aren't still running the crappy rugged trails. Those are terrible in mud and very weak sidewalls cut easy. But they work ok in sand.

Bring a air compressor so you can air down. That will help.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:34 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
have fun........
Old 03-01-2008, 05:16 PM

Yeah, what they said. Go with someone. There are tons of groups that go to DV. It's a great place if you want to be alone...but when your stuck all of a sudden you don't want to be alone any more.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take plenty of water & a radio with a weather band. Be sure your water is sealed so high heat can't swell & rupture the container (simple individual water bottles can & will rupture leaving you with nothing). Be prepared in case you do get stranded for more than three or four days & leave an itinerary with the closest ranger station & have fun. Solitude is what the desert is all about.