YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   Fire extinguisher cleanup (cargo area) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/fire-extinguisher-cleanup-cargo-area-104186/)

Funrunner 01-15-2007 03:34 PM

Fire extinguisher cleanup (cargo area)

My fire extinguisher went off today in my cargo/hatch area! Luckily, most went on my Husky liner but some made it's way onto my carpeting and wall too. Does anyone know if regular carpet shampoo brings it up?

I don't know what kind of chemical it was - it's yellow and toxic smelling. :D Has anyone had that unfortunate fiasco like me? Ideas?

Thanks for any help!

stevrock 01-15-2007 03:44 PM

Makes me think of taking mine with me when I get out of the truck to prevent it from freezing...

Erich_870 01-15-2007 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by stevrock (Post 50395568)
Makes me think of taking mine with me when I get out of the truck to prevent it from freezing...

You bring up a good point. I do the same thing with my marking paint cans (I'm an inspecting engineer) and I've heard of them freezing and popping open :eeek:

Sorry, I have no clean up experience for you :chair:

Erich

4x4Lamm 01-16-2007 08:16 PM

Uhhh, that sucks, it's just a powdered potassium mostly. Use a shop vac and be done with it. Febreeze for the smell. If there is still some in the carpet use the shop vac with water and a stiff brush and scrub at it for a while.

There is no need to take ABC or BC dry powder or dry chemical extinguishers inside because they don't freeze. It's just a powder and a nitrogen charge. If you have a water or foam extinguisher it can freeze but they add an antifreeze so it would have to pretty darn cold.

Lamm

CLEANSR5 01-16-2007 08:24 PM

I had a fire in my truck a few months ago in the cargo area and all I used was a simple green concentrate formula and a wet cloth and just scrubbed. I'm sure there is an easier way, but simple green worked dandy for me.

Elton 01-16-2007 09:05 PM

:pics:

Funrunner 01-16-2007 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Elton (Post 50397206)
:pics:

That's just cruel! :D You revel in my misery?

drguitarum2005 01-16-2007 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Funrunner (Post 50397231)
That's just cruel! :D You revel in my misery?

yup! we wanna see the aftermath!

Funrunner 01-16-2007 09:29 PM

Oh funny - you guys want pics but offer no ideas for cleaning help! sheesh! Pinheads!
j/k :D pffft

Does it add to the humor that when the extinguisher went off I thought it was ice sliding off the roof of my truck? :con:

CJM 01-16-2007 09:30 PM

I say a good carpet shampooer will work, now pics?

waskillywabbit 01-17-2007 04:57 AM

Count your blessings it was not mounted under your feet! :hillbill:

:guitar:

mt_goat 01-17-2007 05:48 AM

From my experince with carpet cleaning (I used to run a carpet cleaning business) anything that is a dry powder is best removed while it is still dry. So vac as much of it up as you can first before getting it wet with anything. If that doesn't remove it competely then start trying some carpet cleaning solutions or spot removers made for carpet or upholsery and wet vac the area good after each application of liquid cleaners. Don't scrub too hard or the carpet fibers will be damaged and look worn out.

lee 01-17-2007 06:07 AM

one day i was driving along and i heard a loud PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHT! sound that didnt last very long. i got back to my office, hopped out, and looked everywhere, including my cargo area and saw nothing. i was like uh... ooook.

then i opened the little box i kept my fire extinguisher in and the WHOLE THING WAS COVERED IN WHITE POWDER :laugh:

i felt like such an idiot.

91_4x4runner 01-17-2007 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by lee (Post 50397435)
one day i was driving along and i heard a loud PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHT! sound that didnt last very long. i got back to my office, hopped out, and looked everywhere, including my cargo area and saw nothing. i was like uh... ooook.

then i opened the little box i kept my fire extinguisher in and the WHOLE THING WAS COVERED IN WHITE POWDER :laugh:

i felt like such an idiot.

:lol:

dibble9012 01-17-2007 06:16 AM

Another reason to get a tool box for my truck bed, I can keep it in there and it won't matter as much if it explodes :)

I agree, use a shop vac to get all the powder out, maybe one of those really strong ones at the gas stations?

HuskyRunner 01-17-2007 02:45 PM

Mine went off in the back of my work truck over the weekend. Not a fun thing to find 3am on a monday. I ddn't even know i had one til I didn't anymore.

lr9788 01-17-2007 03:17 PM

Please tell us how you managed to do this...

wjwerdna 01-17-2007 03:59 PM

still no pics? :)

HuskyRunner 01-18-2007 07:30 PM

Found out today it didn't just 'go off' It had help. I hate when the night shift uses my truck. but revenge is sweet - I hosed down the guys car before I left today, it'll hit -2 tonight, and he's off at about 330am.:hillbill:

rimpainter.com 01-18-2007 07:46 PM

Hmmm, so is this something I should be concerned about as well? Does the age of the extenguisher have anything to do with it exploding, or is it mainly due to temperature/pressure fluctuations? Anybody know?

Mine is about 4 years old...
https://i118.photobucket.com/albums/...ngVideo002.jpg