General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

to build or not to build? a moral dilemma...kinda.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
to build or not to build? a moral dilemma...kinda.

I wanted to post this for the yotatechers and get some feed back from you. Semi hypothetical situation. If you built a truck/4runner from the time you were 17 and fixed/wheeled it for ten years all the while learning wrenching skills and enjoying your accomplishments and hard work to watch it burn down and not have a rig for a year. Within that year if you had the opportunity to either build yourself a rig or pay some one to build it for you witch would you choose?

So either build it while wheeling it and finding stuff as it goes wrong or upgrading things as you go. Keeping in mind i've done this already from a stock rig to what i had before. Although i would have the benefit of knowing it's been upgraded or replaced by me. And the enjoyment of doping it myself. Along with the pride of being able to say yeah i put that together.

Or save your pennies for a total build and have some one do it for you that has knowledge that exceeds yours by leaps and bounds. Meaning could i build it? yes. but would i do it as well as the "pro" (some one like Scotty at addicted offroad) building it for me? no. It would be as complete as possible and needing very few to no upgrades as it is finished. This would be a build you would have all the say in it but not turn a single wrench while it is being built.

The cost is not an issue in these cases so if you could throw that out as a factor. the overall end result would be the same but the process of how it's built would be different. So what say ye yotatechers? You would have a year to get to the end result what path would you take?

Last edited by mightymouse; 09-07-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like to build them myself then i have the good feeling of my own hardwork when wheeling
Old 09-07-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You've been there before so you know where to pickup where you left off and build it how you want the first time. The only reason I would pay someone else to build it is if I did not have the time, or a place to wrench.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:57 AM

I'd build it, there is a very good quote from Jay Leno in that documentary 'the beast'. "You were afraid to tell the guy who built it what happened, because it's his car, he built it. If you put all the blood, sweat and tears into it, you wouldn't have hit the tree."
Just kinda points out how much more you'll get out of it if you build it yourself. Even if it was built 'better' by the professional.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
If money is no object, pay to have it built.

Since most of us don't live in la la land, build what you can pay for the rest.

:wabbit2:
Old 09-07-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WOW, The mouse! Great to see ya here, man!

Wow, a couple years ago, I might have answered differently.... but now that I have so many hours into my rig,(I know, it was mostly chasing my tail..... BUT I DID CATCH IT, my tail that is! lol).... since then, I would say build it.....but not for the sentimental reasons that I think many would(understandably).... At this point in my life, watching the cabbage crop as I am, yet having such limited time.... I might have to think about it, but I'd likely do it myself, taking my time as I go. The 'saving' portion is VERY important to me, in this climate, lol..... And while I'd LOVE to have a "Mini-Me Scotty's 88 SAS BEAST" made, .... or even just orig with some perks.... WOW, I just don't think I could justify that when I could do SOMEWHERE nearly as good a job if I just took my time????????

You got some skills and knowledge, brudda...... I think you could do as good a job as any(minus say some major frame straightening/restoration or mods such as that level, maybe). But hey, if you have a lil money you could spare to have someone you trust do a PERFECT job, hand you the keys weeks later, ...... Well, that's tough to argue as a bad idea, ya know?

1. How much spare time do you/will you have right now/in the near future? Enough to spare on this?

2. Would you rather save QUITE A CHUNK of cabbage.... Or is that not a factor in any way?

3. Would you feel, well, 'DIRTY' if someone 'else' built it and then handed you the keys?????

Just some questions I'd ask myself.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-07-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:34 AM

I'm loving the answers guys thanks for the input. Like i said money is not part of the equation. (hence the hypothetical part) Time is set at one year. I've already committed to my own path and am happy with my decision. I am just curious as to what others would do in this scenario.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build it don't buy it. Just my $.02.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:14 PM

i'm impressed with how many have already chimed in and stated they would build as opposed to buy.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
I've already committed to my own path and am happy with my decision.
So now that we know the general consensus, what was your decision?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:23 PM

.... Build it ...... while hitting the trails you come across a man with a rig like no other you say "wow that nice whats all been done" he says " uhhhhh well this and that" wheres the pride in ownership. He has no grease on his hands... its sad ... build you rig, wheel it hard, and show your pride... just my .02
Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Build it or every time I see you I'm gonna harass you about it.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:00 PM

If money was no issue i would hands down let someone like scotty build my rig you know everything is to the highest possible standards and i could build it but i dont think my mrk would turn out even close to a professionals. And i know it would make me feel better to say hey i built this truck but if it was professionaly build i could say this thing is bulletproof watch this LOL
Old 09-08-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by habanero
Build it or every time I see you I'm gonna harass you about it.
you're funny. What's even funnier is i have yet to see you running around st. louis in the last 8 years that i have lived here.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by mightymouse
you're funny. What's even funnier is i have yet to see you running around st. louis in the last 8 years that i have lived here.

I'm really just a figment of everyone's imagination.

But I'm still going to harass you anyway! Super well-built is cool, works really well and looks neat but I'm guessing the feeling isn't anywhere the same as driving something you did yourself, especially if it also works really well and looks neat too. You know it would. (says chick with truck on jack stands, parts on the ground)
Ah, but that doesn't mean you couldn't choose to have someone else put something together on your truck- that would be different than a fully built truck handed to you on a platter.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
WOW, The mouse! Great to see ya here, man!

Wow, a couple years ago, I might have answered differently.... but now that I have so many hours into my rig,(I know, it was mostly chasing my tail..... BUT I DID CATCH IT, my tail that is! lol).... since then, I would say build it.....but not for the sentimental reasons that I think many would(understandably).... At this point in my life, watching the cabbage crop as I am, yet having such limited time.... I might have to think about it, but I'd likely do it myself, taking my time as I go. The 'saving' portion is VERY important to me, in this climate, lol..... And while I'd LOVE to have a "Mini-Me Scotty's 88 SAS BEAST" made, .... or even just orig with some perks.... WOW, I just don't think I could justify that when I could do SOMEWHERE nearly as good a job if I just took my time????????

You got some skills and knowledge, brudda...... I think you could do as good a job as any(minus say some major frame straightening/restoration or mods such as that level, maybe). But hey, if you have a lil money you could spare to have someone you trust do a PERFECT job, hand you the keys weeks later, ...... Well, that's tough to argue as a bad idea, ya know?

1. How much spare time do you/will you have right now/in the near future? Enough to spare on this?

2. Would you rather save QUITE A CHUNK of cabbage.... Or is that not a factor in any way?

3. Would you feel, well, 'DIRTY' if someone 'else' built it and then handed you the keys?????

Just some questions I'd ask myself.
Chef, you kick ass. I think you might be giving me more credit than i deserve but thanks. Thanks for the insight as well. Every one's situation is unique to them that's why i wanted to get as many opinions as possible just to see how others would choose. This thread is for speculation only. It by no means is going to influence my own decision. I just wanted to push some buttons and get some opinions.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:51 AM

Oh yeah, the buttons, like a Houston Space Station, are LIT UP, HOMIE! lol. My pleasure to chime in..... I'm just a logical person. Some call it over analytical..... but it's not, really. I want to do something right the first time...and then, when I've exhausted everything I can, I take it to SOMEONE THAT CANNNNNNNN tell me what's wrong! lol. Even then, the dealer gave mine back, I ran around another 2 months, trying/swapping out/chasing my tail on EVERYTHING IN THAT RIG! Go figure, ....it's a mechanical anomaly that's SO HARD to find, ....... yet eventually, a younger guy, great with these, put his hand on it, then said, "CAM, no doubt. Maybe a valve or two.... but FOR SURE, CAM!".... AND GO FIGURE, HE WAS RIGHT! hahaha

This is SURELY different, ....you've decided, whatever that is, but in short, 'You have to do what YOU feel will benefit you most.' I wish I'd built mine the first time, ya know? I thought, "I'm trusting a really professional dude, what could go wrong?" hahahah. Yeah, indeed! But someone like Scotty? yeah, I wouldn't be worried about things that HE DID going wrong...... Yet I have to admit, I would always wonder, ..."Did I really need to fork over all that? I could have done this myself, with 10 TIMES that time that he took, but still, it can be done!"......But seriously, Aaron, ..... if I'd seen something like Scotty's rig, for sale, fairly cheap(or at least TOTALLY within reason)... well, why wouldn't I grab it? I mean, if money wasn't an obstacle, ...I'd beg him to let me watch, learn, and then after I grabbed it, I'd make other ones, copying off his work! hahaha. Anyway, I could understand someone just WANTING ONE LIKE THAT, then buying it, so they could enjoy it! lol. Especially if they felt that the spare time they have is so limited, and they want to just get DRIVING ONE LIKE THAT, NOW! lol.

Most buy new rigs, even finance what they can't afford in some cases... Then get sentimental about the 'Project Rig'? Hmmmm, it's very interesting.... but I get it! lol. hahaha.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:29 PM

You crack me up Chef.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by habanero
Super well-built is cool, works really well and looks neat but I'm guessing the feeling isn't anywhere the same as driving something you did yourself, especially if it also works really well and looks neat too. You know it would. (says chick with truck on jack stands, parts on the ground)
Ah, but that doesn't mean you couldn't choose to have someone else put something together on your truck- that would be different than a fully built truck handed to you on a platter.
This is fascinating to me. Maybe a rig the works and looks perfect would get on your nerves after a while. You'd know you could never build it that good yourself, and it'd bug you. Maybe you'd miss those quirks about your rig that make it uniquely yours. Never thought of that before!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by bmcel
You crack me up Chef.
hahaha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: to build or not to build? a moral dilemma...kinda.