YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   Best way to remove tint? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/best-way-remove-tint-222502/)

BackGateYota92 10-20-2010 08:12 AM

Best way to remove tint?

hey there got i got pulled over for dark tint this morning on the way to school. i got a week to change it to legal or take it off so ima try to take it off tomorrow in shop class and was wondering whats the best way to remove the cuurent tint? im for sure gonna put a lighter shade on when i get the money so i dont wanna mess anything up. Thanks for the help.

BIGG HOGG 10-20-2010 08:21 AM

Spray on straight ammonia with a spray bottle then cover with a dark trashbag and let it sit in the sun for a few hrs it will literally fall right off

Swimmerboy2112 10-20-2010 08:25 AM

The ammonia trick works but often leaves the sticky glue on the window. A razorblade is your best bet to scrape it off.

70elcoss 10-20-2010 08:54 AM

Razor blade would work good or I use some fine steel wool. First spray the area with window cleaner (I love invisible glass) then scrub with the steel wool

Edit* ^ is what I have done to remove the residue from the tint, not the actuall tint film

xxxtreme22r 10-20-2010 08:56 AM

how did the guy know it was too dark? I love cops who pull people over, give them a ticket for dark tint and never use a light meter to prove it. :D

BackGateYota92 10-20-2010 09:24 AM

he had a light meter xxxtreme. my front windows came up at 18% and my back came out to 15% and legal in virginia is 50% front and 35% back. lol i heard that a heat gun will heat the glue enough where you can peel it off is this true???

BackGateYota92 10-20-2010 09:27 AM

oh ya and the cop pulled my buddy litterally a couple minutes before me and his was like 25% or something like that haha so were both in the same boat

4ever4running 10-20-2010 09:35 AM

This is a little off topic but did you get your tint done in Virginia? If not you might want to look in to fighting the ticket. I don't know if it is true or not but I have heard that if you have your tint done in a state where darker tint is legal then register the car in a different state, then they will waive the ticket because technically it was legal when you had it done...

I hope it is true because in a little less than a year I will be moving to D.C. (living in Virginia probably) and I have 20% tint all the way around that I had done in New Mexico where 20% is perfectly legal.

maistroyoda 10-20-2010 11:02 AM

Laws usually apply in the state where you live (where you have your car registered) not where you came from or got it done originally. You can try arguing that to the judge but they're just gonna laugh and you'll end up paying the original fine plus court costs. I wouldn't risk fighting that ticket like 4ever4runner mentioned.

BackGateYota92 10-20-2010 11:30 AM

ya i didnt get a ticket though the cop told me he will be back in a week to check it. im not gonna try to fight anything cause i have had a target on my back for a while now do to loud exhaust,tint, and other fix it tickets. lol im getting tired of getting pulled to be honest so ima start trying to fix evertything. lol

peow130 10-20-2010 12:01 PM

I'd do the ammonia trick, then use goof-off to get rid of the sticky residue..
Goof off works for everything hahaha
or some acetone, your choice.

theMonch 10-20-2010 12:20 PM

I use a steam cleaner that I have. It works perfectly. You start in one corner and steam it from the inside with a towel at the bottom of the window. you slowly lead with the steamer and pull the whole sheet off in one piece glue and all. This works with the higher quality tint and the thinner cheaper stuff as well.

You could probably rent one from somewhere, it is the type that they sell as a househole steamer.

The ammonia is basically doing the same thing, but with the steamer you don't have to wait.

highonpottery 10-20-2010 01:16 PM

^that's the way to go. i once removed peeling tint from an old volvo and tried the ammonia trick as well as razor blades. razor blades won't work for you if you've got a section with defroster lines. got about 3/4 the way done and then decided to try using a steamer...OMG so much easier.

BackGateYota92 10-20-2010 03:27 PM

haha well i dont have a steamer and were gonna take the tint off in shop class so that kinda making this difficult. lol

theMonch 10-20-2010 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by BackGateYota92 (Post 51576788)
haha well i dont have a steamer and were gonna take the tint off in shop class so that kinda making this difficult. lol

You can rent them. Do a search for "wallpaper steamer" and you should get some results. Trust me it will be worth it.

SpecialScottie 10-20-2010 03:53 PM

I used paint thinner on the goo and it worked well

92 TOY 10-20-2010 04:50 PM

i pulled the tint off........GOO-GONE spray all over the residue and a razor blade to clean all that up.

BackGateYota92 10-21-2010 08:34 AM

alright got the tint off and most the glue on gonna hit it with some goo gone later. thanks for all the advice

4ever4running 10-21-2010 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by BackGateYota92 (Post 51577329)
alright got the tint off and most the glue on gonna hit it with some goo gone later. thanks for all the advice

So which method did you end up going with? Steamer? Ammonia? I ask because I will probably have to remove my tint when I move to D.C in about a year...maistroyoda made a good point and I don't think having the tint done in a state where the car was registered previously is an excuse...

INFINITY 10-21-2010 09:35 AM

flat edge razor and a water/dish soap mix in a spray bottle to help lube the blade. just keep it wet and use the flat razor (buy quite a few of them) to peel it all off.