General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Best vehicle for wife/growing family

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best vehicle for wife/growing family

The 4runner is mine and I'll never give it up, bet a lot of you feel the same. With a growing family though I am getting pressure to supply a 'family mover' that can also shuttle the in-laws when they're in town, ie. something with 7+ seats. I have been looking around at what's available and I must say that I am NOT impressed with what's on the market. I am here to ask you all about your advice for the best bet. oh yeah it has to get good gas mileage and ideally have sliding doors (although that is negotiable if the interior is nice).

First off I think that most of the DESIGNS of vehicles these days are terrible. I hardly saw any manual transmission vehicles in this category (in fact none). I dislike mini-vans, they look so stupid. When I was in Japan I saw so many cool looking vehicles, our choices seem way more limited here. I do not like the design of the Odyssey or Sienna. I think the Toyota highlander looks stupid as well.

I was hoping to get some advice re: vehicles, does anybody recommend the Sequoia? The gas mileage is not great I noticed. What I would really like for her would be a stylish AWD van hybrid (manual trans). Does anybody like the Pilot?
Am I missing something on the market? Is there a sweet vehicle, maybe under-noticed? I'd be willing to go with Mitsubishi Outlander or Suzuki XL-7, does anybody drive the Mazda 5? (only manual trans I saw). I don't really like Nissan very much. As for US vehicles, I drove the Ford Escape Hybrid, it was only So-so. I didn't feel nearly the quality of my 2nd gen 4runner, we didn't really feel safe and it was so low to the ground. I noticed the dodge durango hemi hybrid and was more impressed with that, would like to hear more.
Thanks for any advice you may have! I am stunned by how much crap is out there, don't know what to do. Consumer reports just recommends 'odyssey or sienna' but I just can't get over the appearance. Maybe I am judging them too quickly.

Last edited by taikowaza; 04-10-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:39 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Are you going brand new..?

I like the designs of the old sequoia..Not the new one..
Havent heard much about bad problems in either old gen seq or new gen..

Thats really all I got, good luck on your search..

Old 04-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Hi Scuba- thanks for the reply, I think I'd rather go used. I just re-subscribed to consumer reports and there is a nice page on the best deals in used vehicles, it shows the original sticker price, and the current used price (2-4 years old cars), and some of them have already depreciated by over 65%. One of the best deals, for example, is the 2005 V8 Sequoia Ltd. It listed for 51K in 2005. Now it's selling for 17K. That's a 59% drop...it makes sense I think to get a low-mileage from 2005 or 2006. Do you know what 'gen' of sienna you like? I'm still hoping to hear from a YT member about an amazing vehicle that seats 7+, has the fuel economy and looks great and is fun to drive with lots of power not too confident it exists but you never know.

Last edited by taikowaza; 04-10-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 AM

Damn, That 05 you mentioned would be badass.

As for the sienna, I think its the 96-02 or 03, The design right before the current, I noticied you said you dont like the current design but I drive one on the regular when ever my dd is down and I dont mind it..
Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for reminding me about the 80 and 100 series Land Cruisers Buhundred. Those are beautiful vehicles. Unfortunately I won't be allowed to get another vehicle with gas mileage similar to my 4runner, I usually get 15MPG on that if I'm lucky and I was hoping to get a lot more on the new one. I just noticed the mazda CX-9, will have to check it out. I really hope that they will offer a manual trans 2010 4runner with 3rd row seat. That would be so great. Imagine if it were hybrid too. It'll never happen tho.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very impressed with my parents' Odyssey. It's really zippy and fun to drive-which I couldn't believe for a minivan.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Scuba you drive the Sienna and don't mind it? It is the #1 rated van along with the Odyssey. Do you have the AWD? resto-noob thanks for your thoughts about the Odyssey. That Honda gets highest scores and it's rated by CR to be a better handling vehicle than the Sienna. I wish they made it in an AWD. We will be in ice and snow and I would feel better about an AWD vehicle. Subaru is excellent for traction, their Tribeca though is really pricey and cramped inside.
Back to the Sienna and Odysseys, I guess they get the best scores for a reason. I think I have negative feelings about mini-vans because I just don't think they look good. I'm telling you in Asia they have mini-vans that look badass. My buddy in Nagoya has the 'Toyota Alphard Hybrid' and he is pimped out in it.

Last edited by taikowaza; 04-10-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:13 AM

The only thing I hate about driving the sienna is it looks like a beater due to my mom no knowing how to drive a minivan, Shes used to corolla's..although she sucks at driving those too
The 3.6L in the 04+ siennas is pretty peppy, The very rear seats fold down and the middle chairs pull out, leaves a nice space to haul things.. When the very rears are up theres a nice trunk area..
The inside fit and finish is pretty nice, not much road noise.
Ive been in that van with our family on 2K mile road trips about 4 times..there was always plenty of room and I loved it back then..

Old 04-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks scuba, the fact that you could take a 2k road trip with your family in the sienna and still feel comfortable is good to know. Those 7 seater 'small SUVs' have a 3rd row you can fit people in but a 2k road trip might be pushing it. A sienna or odyssey or sequoia is the real deal with full-size rear seating. Those 2008/2009 highlanders have 'stadium' seating so the rows slowly get higher, giving the 3rd row passengers a vantage view of the vehicle, so they don't feel 'trapped in the back'.
highlander also comes in AWD and even hybrid. It's a pretty nice package too. I guess we'll have to take some test drives and see which ones feel the best. The 2004 Odyssey LX sold for 25K new, now they go for 9200, or 62% off. A 2005 Sienna CE is half price at about 10K. It's hard to argue with those deals, a 2005 might have about 50K miles on it, still plenty of life.

Last edited by taikowaza; 04-10-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:34 AM

Deff take the whole family with you when you go to test drive and see how they like which vehicle and if they feel cramped or not, that will help come to which would be the best for the family...

Old 04-10-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by taikowaza
Scuba you drive the Sienna and don't mind it? It is the #1 rated van along with the Odyssey. Do you have the AWD? resto-noob thanks for your thoughts about the Odyssey. That Honda gets highest scores and it's rated by CR to be a better handling vehicle than the Sienna. I wish they made it in an AWD. We will be in ice and snow and I would feel better about an AWD vehicle. Subaru is excellent for traction, their Tribeca though is really pricey and cramped inside.
Back to the Sienna and Odysseys, I guess they get the best scores for a reason. I think I have negative feelings about mini-vans because I just don't think they look good.
The Honda is pretty good in winter weather. Here in New Hampshire, we get lots of snow, and it does a great job.

I'll check with my wife's uncle at Easter dinner about the Subarus. He's a Subaru tech and is pretty frank about their products.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

2003 Sequoia - lots of cargo room/passenger mover. 4x4 trail capable
03+ Sienna V6 All Wheel Drive
98-01 Land Rover
Old 04-10-2009, 11:05 AM
T4L

My wife had an 04 Highlander and it was her favorite vehicle of all time. As you mentioned, though, it had one of the 3rd rows that couldn't accomodate any one for extended periods of time. Overall, it was a very good vehicle.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
I like the Sienna's too, had one for a rental a couple of times and was very happy with it. Very peppy and comfortable and that was a RENTAL!!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:04 AM

Dude, you should totally go for a full size high top conversion van. OK, maybe skip the high top part, but full size van are comfortable as heck, gas would kinda suck though. I'm only 28 and have considered breaking down to the mini van market already with just one kid on the way. My POV though is why should I have to buy a vehicle to drive everyday, just to cater to my family twice a year. In my op,it's just one more stupid thing we Americans do. If you have a Runner and your wife has a vehicle, just drive both when family comes to town and you all go somewhere. Make more sense than buying something you don't want.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

dport I like your thinking! I checked up on full size conversion vans today, those things are SWEET. I would love one of those vans. Who sells them? If you can tell me more that would be great. I agree that it would be nice to drive both vehicles, the only new vehicle I think is interesting right now is the new prius (2010), I hear it's easy to get 50mpg and some are saying 60 or 70 would be more than possible. That is good technology and I'd like to get her one of those. There is a huge demand in N America for a hybrid van but the companies are not listening. Whoever gets it to market first is going to have a huge hit on their hands. In the meantime my wife seems to like the odyssey but I still can't get my head around how a RWD vehicle is going to be great in the ice and snow. Resto-noob you seem to have had good luck with the Odyssey in NH winters, did you put different snow tires on there? I appreciate your checking with your wife's uncle...ask him what he thinks about the Tribeca if you can.
T4L your wife liked her highlander a lot, I also like them, the 3rd row for a long trip is what would be the only negative about that, also 3rd row access is apparently a pain. a sliding door vehicle in that format is what we'd rather see...
one thing is certain I do not feel inspired by what is available right now...I would be much happier if there were something on the market that was so excellent I couldn't wait to try it out, as it stands I feel like I'm settling for the one that sucks the least...come on designers bring out some new vans that are NICE
Old 04-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I love teh design of the Sienna, but I am sort of partial

The landcruisers are overpriced boats, no real need to spend that sort of money just as a transport vehicle. the other thing you will want to consider is costof parts. Landcruiser parts, like 4Runner parts, are generally going to cost more since there are less of the vehicles. The Siennas and Highlanders would also be more comfortable, with the car like ride since they are based off the Camry platform.

The highlander Hybrid is a very spendy vehicle too, and expensive to maintain when electrical parts have a problem. I would go with a standard Highlander, or a Sienna. AWD is nice, but IMHO its not really necessary around here. However, since you are moving to the Dakotas where it snows, I would suggest getting an AWD version of something.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Odyssey is RWD?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dport is on the right track-why over buy when you only need that much passenger ability 2 or 3 times a year? and even then maybe just to zip down to a restaurant.

Rent one for the few times you need it. And the comment is dead on about take everyone and their brother with you for the test drive. Just because you can fit 8 people in there does not mean it is not crowded or comfortable. Of course you will have to listen and respect the varied opinions offered....

And with regards to the full size conversion vans-those are RV industry related so many folks buy them and rarely use them. I consider them excellent for highway cruising but sure would not want to drive one on a regular basis. Depreciation on them will also be significant so you can find great deals on low mileage ones-particularly after this last gas price crisis. Lucky to get 18-20 mpg with those loaded ones.

Honda's Odyssey is a top pick and a consumer favorite for so many reasons. If you have never owned a Honda product the way they treat their customers is stellar. Something Toyota could learn from.

You buddy's pimped out van in Japan is spectacular. I would gladly give up driving to sit in those seats with the extendable footrests, but I still count only 7 butt places.

Let us know what you end up with. You could do a lot worse than settling for the Odyssey.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Can't believe how much good advice I'm getting on this thread, thanks a lot guys for all your input. A couple of things, toyota404907, you are right, the Odyssey is FWD, I made a mistake saying that it was RWD. Thanks for that, very important. Only the Sienna comes in AWD, but apparently those AWD Siennas are rated lower partly because of their anti-flat tire problems. I am not sure if I could swap those out for BFGs or something but I would prefer to go with a nice winter tire.
At this point we are prob. going to lean towards an odyssey with nice winter tires or else an AWD sienna. the rest of the choices, as cool as they might be (especially the conversion vans those are badass!) don't make a lot of sense gas wise. The Sequoia I would prefer and the deals are so good right now, but the breaking news is that I've just now been told that sliding doors are now a MUST so that rules that out.
Just to check, does anybody recommend the Chrysler or Dodge minivans? If not I'll just test drive the AWD sienna and Odyssey and maybe Mazda5 b./c of the manual trans and that will be that. The sliding door requirement cuts out the highlander, cx-9, suzukis, outlander, sequoia and just about everything else. If I am missing anything else with sliding doors pls. let me know! thanks again guys

Last edited by taikowaza; 04-11-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Best vehicle for wife/growing family