General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

*Best* brake caliper for my T100

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*Best* brake caliper for my T100

I need new front brake calipers for my T100. One of them is sticking and causing uneven braking and wearing the pads on one side faster than the other and the hub is hot to the touch whereas the other side is warm or even cool. It's not red hot, I can keep my hand on it, its just a lot hotter than the other side. I replaced these calipers myself about 17K miles and 5 yrs ago (131K) almost exactly this time of the year. I don't remember what brand I bought but I know I got them from one of the big auto part stores like Advance or possibly NAPA. I know they should have lasted longer, the originals lasted 131K miles!

Prices for orig. Toyota calipers are somewhere in the $400 orbit. and way over my budget. I don't want to get another set of dud calipers from a franchise auto parts store and leery of getting a re-manufactured set. If you have ever replaced calipers I would like to know what brand and how long they have lasted. I appreciate your input.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If I can rebuild something I would never give up my factory OEM part for a exchange.
It's a 50/50 chance (more now a days) that it's a quantity re-build not a quality one.

I would re-build your calipers at this point with quality OEM kits and at least know you have a
better chance of them not failing so soon.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:22 PM

I appreciate the response KSTI. If I still worked in my neighbor's garage (over 30yrs ago) I would have the tools and time to rebuild them, unfortunately I have neither now nor a place to work on something like this.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:23 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Just another option...

Toyota does sell their own re-manufactured calipers for most of their vehicles. I do not know what company actually does the remanufacturing of the core parts but Toyota feels good enough to put their name on them.

If you cannot find good aftermarket parts, this could be a good option, if available.

New, quality parts are always the best option, however they may be no longer available or very expensive.

Good luck!

Old 09-17-2017, 11:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Being it is a T100 options are limited .

I have had good luck with the Napa Remanufactured.

But living in the great Liquid Brine belt the pins and pads need attention every spring

It is not the hydraulic parts but the mechanical that cause me problems
Old 09-19-2017, 06:55 PM

There are lots of remanufactured calipers available for my T100. I think they may be the same as many 4Runners around that time and those are as common as grass. If I can find a genuine Toyota reman'd caliper I would rather get those. I can't afford $800+ for two genuine factory new ones, and they are still available.