General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Anyone know how the A340 figures out when to shift?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone know how the A340 figures out when to shift?

I have a reoccurring problem, it's back, and it's driving me nuts.

- ECT: OFF, OD: OFF
- Accelerate from a light "in a spirited fashion" but not WOT
- 1st-2nd happens normally
- Shift to 3rd happens at about 2200
- Engine bogs 'cause it's way too early

If I kick the skinny a bit, it'll drop back to 2nd and continue the normal climb threw the gears.

Seems to happen more when it's warmed up than when it's cold. Tranny fluid level is okay, if anything it's too full. All vacuum lines are in place, all electrical in/around the tranny is connected and secure.

Ideas?
Old 09-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I have had that happen quite a bit. When the engine is cold, it'll always shift early, but when it's warm, I can reproduce it by accelerating "in a spirited fashion" and then slowly releasing the gas in 2nd, and it might just shift early into third, which is then annoying. And most of the time I do this, it's accidental.

As far as how exactly it shifts, isn't it computer input from the ECU as well as pressure and whatnot in the valve body of the transmission?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the A340 is fully computer controlled. the computer controls all shift points.

does it do the same thing with ECT : ON
Old 09-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Mark - I have the same issue as you, but I fixed it by keeping ECT = ON all the time.

Did you have this problem before you put on the S/C?

Last edited by Tanto; 09-04-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
As far as how exactly it shifts, isn't it computer input from the ECU as well as pressure and whatnot in the valve body of the transmission?
I think so, but ain't sure hence me asking. I think the tranny computer is piggybacked off of the ECT - i.e., there aren't any dedicated sensors for it.

Originally Posted by thefallman
does it do the same thing with ECT : ON
Yeup, pretty sure it does...

Originally Posted by Tanto
Mark - I have the same issue as you, but I fixed it by keeping ECT = ON all the time.
Hmmm, see above. Maybe I'm just flipping out.

Did you have this problem before you put on the S/C?
Oh man, it's been so long, but I'd have to say "no", based on it not doing it all the time now.

I'll run with the ECT shift points engaged for a couple of days and see how it goes. Thanks guys.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:39 PM

the ECU contols the tranny based on what information it gathers from the engine sensors. hence not being able to run the auto tranny without an auto ecu for us swaps
Old 09-05-2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by midiwall
I'll run with the ECT shift points engaged for a couple of days and see how it goes. Thanks guys.
Update... Yes, it happens after everything's warmed up with ECT engaged.

argh
Old 09-06-2006, 12:15 PM

sounds like a valve body issue got something in the valve body or something. like that.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thefallman
sounds like a valve body issue got something in the valve body or something. like that.
but that would mean he couldnt correct it with the skinny peddle... ie his tap of it tells the puter "hey go faster" it tells the tranny to do its thing and it down shifts again.

if it was valve body i wouldnt expect that to work.

seems electronic to me. I know my E34 bmw has electrical gremlins in the wiring that leads to the tranney ECU that causes headaches only when its cold outside.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know if it makes a difference, but you might check the transmission cable adjustment at the throttle body.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I don't know if it makes a difference, but you might check the transmission cable adjustment at the throttle body.
OHHHH i like that one
Old 09-07-2006, 02:01 PM

Try sending an e-mail or make a phone call to John @ IPT Transmissions. He is the guy who does valve body mods for folks with 'chargers. He is always helpful.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by snap-on
OHHHH i like that one
Nah... sorry guys. Been there and nothing's up.

I've had the top end of the motor apart a LOT the last couple of weeks in chasing injector sizes, o-rings leaking and a couple of other things. The cabling's in good shape.

wait... hold on.

okay, I'm back. I walked out to my truck to check... it's all good. Well, it's "correct", which I guess is actually bad since that's not the problem.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jim McNabb
Try sending an e-mail or make a phone call to John @ IPT Transmissions. He is the guy who does valve body mods for folks with 'chargers. He is always helpful.
I know John... I've had mixed results in getting answers from them on diagnosing issues. Email is always "give us a call so we can talk about it" and when I do talk to them, the results are a bit sideways. Right now I'm in a debate with them about whether I can spend $700 to fix a separate issue or if (as they claim) it will cost me $4500.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

What you could try, is resetting the ECU via your preferred way and then drive aggressivly from the start for some days. After maybe 3 days per say, it should pretty much remember you like quick and not downshift as early, which might be annoying when you want it to (gas savings). I am currently in "gas saving" mode and my tranny just loves to shift early if I am not on it.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:15 AM

http://awshifting.com/
Old 09-08-2006, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

This is for the A340H, may give some insight to the programming: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...36automati.pdf
Old 09-08-2006, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
What you could try, is resetting the ECU via your preferred way and then drive aggressivly from the start for some days.
I tried this last night and... no good. Within 2 minutes of the reset it was shifting early. Good idea though!

Originally Posted by Adam F
HAHAHAHAH!

Yeah, I was in that thread pretty much from the beginning. I've thought about it, but to tell you the truth, the video example that Brett posted turned me off because of the lag.

Originally Posted by mt_goat
This is for the A340H, may give some insight to the programming: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...36automati.pdf
Nice find Dale! {think} {think}

Last edited by midiwall; 09-08-2006 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:52 AM

Check the Solenoids

I have an '86 4runner with the a340h transmission and had the same shifting problems. I read on here that sometimes the solenoids are the reason for poor shifting. So, I ordered new ones for $207.00 total and changed all 4, which took me 3 hours. My transmission shifts fine now. and that was a year ago that I changed the solenoids.

The solenoids were original and my truck has 298,??? on the body...possibly the transmission but not sure. Either way, after 20 years it was time to change them.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by AaronW
I have an '86 4runner with the a340h transmission and had the same shifting problems. I read on here that sometimes the solenoids are the reason for poor shifting. So, I ordered new ones for $207.00 total and changed all 4, which took me 3 hours. My transmission shifts fine now. and that was a year ago that I changed the solenoids.

The solenoids were original and my truck has 298,??? on the body...possibly the transmission but not sure. Either way, after 20 years it was time to change them.
Hmmm... that's interesting info. I'm about to (finally finally!) have the valve body work done, so maybe I'll do this too while I'm in there.

Thanks Aaron!

Any idea's on part numbers? These are straight forward to swap, right? You can get to them from the pan?

Quick Reply: Anyone know how the A340 figures out when to shift?