Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

What year trucks/4runners have compatible 22re's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What year trucks/4runners have compatible 22re's?

I am trying to buy a engine that I can rebuild then throw it in my 5 speed 89 pickup. I've heard that they changed the injectors after 88. So would it be safe to assume that I need to get a 22re out of an 89-95 truck? Did they make any changes later (like they did in 88)? How about pulling one from a 4runner? Would it matter if the donor truck is auto or standard? I've searched the topic but have really only found people wanting to swap the 22re and 3.0.
Thanks
Ben
Old 04-14-2010, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm like 90% sure you can swap any 22RE in place of any other 22RE.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Levis Pennae
I'm like 90% sure you can swap any 22RE in place of any other 22RE.
I've read in a couple places that it is not plug and play.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
yeah, never ones have different style injector plugs
Old 04-14-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
yeah, never ones have different style injector plugs
So they didn't make any changes between 89-95?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
i dont believe so, check on lc engineering website to confirm.. i think they have the differences
Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM

LCE says there are no differences between the 85-95 22re's. However I seen multiple posts (like the second link) that say the wiring harness is different and it isnt plug and play. The third link talks about what ECUs are compatible what years. It doesn't show the change in 89 but it does show a change in 92. The 4th link backs up what the 3rd link is saying about a switch in 92.
http://www.lcengineering.com/TechNotes/?techid=4
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post50355299
http://lakebox.dnsalias.com/photos/1...ectortypes.bmp
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...estions-97787/
Old 04-14-2010, 08:47 PM

I guess I kinda just answered my own question but I would still like some conformation. Anybody have some hands on experience?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The engine's from 85-whenever they stopped making them are the same as far as head and block go. The intakes, plugs and harnesses changed but as for the long block its all the same.

Just go find an engine with harness for sale and your set.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:56 AM

I've swapped a 91 22re and harness into a 94 extended cab pickup. I think the engines are the same but the harnesses are different. I had to use the 91 alternator because the plugs are different. The exhaust O2 sensor has a different plug also. And the transmission or transfer case on the 94 is a speedometer sensor whereas the 91 is a mechanical speedometer cable.
I didn't even think about the injectors. I just kept the harness from the 91 to the 91 engine. Also I am using the 91 ECU.
I plan to redo everything because right now I have 21 and 42 codes from the check engine light. Those are the O2 sensor and Vehicle Speed Sensor codes. I plan to swap the harnesses (use the 94 harness with the 91 engine in a 94 body) so I might have to swap the entire intake manifold side to make everything work. I found a VSS from marlincrawler that plugs into the mechanical speedometer cable port, so I'll update later when I am finished.
The truck runs ok as it is (91 engine, 91 harness, 91 ECU in a 94 body.) Although I do not go over 55mph often (I read that the code 42, no signal from VSS can cause a fuel cutoff above 55mph.)
It may be best to find an engine with the same year as yours. I didn't because I found this engine for a very good price (cheap.)
Old 04-15-2010, 07:06 AM

The tps changed in Mar 89. the plugs might be the same but the tps is 90deg off between the two
Old 04-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can swap any 22re regardless of year. Having said that the easiest way to do this is to use the accessories and wiring that go with the vehicle that you are installing it in. My son bought a 94 2wd, auto pick-up; the engine blew a head gasket and overheated, it was toast. We swapped in an 85 22re from a 4x4. We used the accessories (alt, p/s, pulleys, etc) the injectors, & TPS off of the 94 and it fired right up and worked fine.
You don't have to do this way but in this case using the 85 parts would have required us to wire in a resistor pack for the injectors, change the alt wiring, remove some of the circuits that a 94 might have and an 85 did not, etc.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:54 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are only two things you need to know when you're doing a swap, and really one of them doesn't even matter B/c you'll just use the components off the the truck you've got...

You need the vac diagram or emissions model for the truck you're getting the donor from, and the vac diagram for the truck you have... You really shouldn't mix the two. It might throw a code b/c you'll prolly come up short, or not enough connections when you go to start plugging things in from the two different harnesses...

And since when did rebuilds start coming with injectors?

Just look here and make sure the head and block's are compatible

http://www.lcengineering.com/TechNotes/?techid=49

...and the rest you use off of your truck...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 04-15-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:59 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Originally Posted by bend
I am trying to buy a engine that I can rebuild then throw it in my 5 speed 89 pickup.
Ok..

I've heard that they changed the injectors after 88.
That won't matter, b/c the rebuilt engine is the engine only, not all its ancillaries too...

So would it be safe to assume that I need to get a 22re out of an 89-95 truck?
Why? What's wrong with your intake and injectors again?

Did they make any changes later (like they did in 88)? How about pulling one from a 4runner? Would it matter if the donor truck is auto or standard? I've searched the topic but have really only found people wanting to swap the 22re and 3.0.
Thanks
Ben

Sure... What?

Does your truck have a 3.0 in it? And... WHAT?
Old 04-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN

Why? What's wrong with your intake and injectors again?
I never said anything is wrong with my injectors. I just want a straight swap. I need transportation for school and work. I want as little downtime as possible.
Sure... What?

Does your truck have a 3.0 in it? And... WHAT?
Uh try rereading it? My truck is a 22re. When I searched for this topic i just found a bunch of people swapping 3.0's to 22re's or vice versa. Nothing that fit my situation. Then I asked if it mattered if the donor truck was auto or manual.

Last edited by bend; 04-15-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hadmatt54
You can swap any 22re regardless of year. Having said that the easiest way to do this is to use the accessories and wiring that go with the vehicle that you are installing it in. My son bought a 94 2wd, auto pick-up; the engine blew a head gasket and overheated, it was toast. We swapped in an 85 22re from a 4x4. We used the accessories (alt, p/s, pulleys, etc) the injectors, & TPS off of the 94 and it fired right up and worked fine.
You don't have to do this way but in this case using the 85 parts would have required us to wire in a resistor pack for the injectors, change the alt wiring, remove some of the circuits that a 94 might have and an 85 did not, etc.
Ah good to know. Thanks a lot.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:53 PM

I've read in a couple places that it is not plug and play.
I thought you were swapping the whole engine though..
Old 04-16-2010, 12:09 AM

Just find you a motor, ANY motor made from 85-95... And swap everything bolted to the head you have on your truck now...

Not really seeing what's so hard here... Just review the LC Engineering link and look for the "Laser Block" and you will be fine, trust me.

And no, AT or 5 speed has NOTHING to do with getting you a motor... Or 4Runner Vs. Truck for that matter...

The injectors are a part of what bolts on to a motor, not the motor... Like a flex plate and a fly wheel... As long as you find a motor, you will swap the parts you already have, for the parts you don't need...

LCE says there are no differences between the 85-95 22re's. However I seen multiple posts (like the second link) that say the wiring harness is different and it isnt plug and play. The third link talks about what ECUs are compatible what years. It doesn't show the change in 89 but it does show a change in 92. The 4th link backs up what the 3rd link is saying about a switch in 92.
And why does any of this matter? Do you need an engine? Or complete wiring harness?

There are as many different wiring harnesses as there are emissions diagrams... Fed, Cali, Canadian... Carb, EFI... ???

But none of this is important... You need to use your intake and exhaust manifold and you won't have any problems...

Anybody have some hands on experience?
Probably not... B/c most ppl stick with the wiring harness and injectors they already have...

Or, you get a post like Haastiin's.

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner

Just go find an engine with harness for sale and your set.
Am I missing something? Why can't we make this LESS confusing and just tell him to use his existing harness, for his existing truck and emission setup?

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 04-16-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:18 AM

Am I missing something? Why can't we make this LESS confusing and just tell him to use his existing harness, for his existing truck and emission setup?
That is not what I am asking though. I know the block is compatible. I am getting my injectors rebuilt. I don't want to have to wait for them to get back because I have school/work. I want to know what years I can plug and play. Not "take some stuff off my existing engine, get it rebuilt, wait another 5 days, then install it".
Old 04-16-2010, 09:18 AM

ok, I'm stating to get it...

But two things come to mind... One, you'll have a spare wiring harness, and two, I don't think it's worth the scavenger hunt you will be doing, to find the harness that works with your injectors, and emissions...

But it's up to you...

Here's what you need, as far as I.Ding injectors..

Rounded corners electrical socket
on injector.
(Plastic guides near top of socket)
Type E, 2.5 Ohm 1988

Rounded corners electrical socket
on injector.
(Plastic guides near bottom of socket)
Type F, 12.5 Ohm 1989-1995

Square corners electrical socket
on injector.
(Plastic guide at
bottom center of socket)
Type C, 2.5 Ohm 1983-1987

Square corners electrical socket
on injector.
(Plastic guide at bottom right socket)
Type D, 12.5 Ohm

http://www.lcengineering.com/TechNotes/?techid=11

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 04-16-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: What year trucks/4runners have compatible 22re's?