Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Tundra Brakes Upgrade - Brakes are working!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tundra Brakes Upgrade - Brakes are working!

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any insight on this ordeal i have been dealing with for the last couple weeks.

I needed new front brakes so i decided on going with the 199 mm Tundra Front brakes. So i got the whole setup, Calipers, Rotors, Pads and installed. After about 3 hours trying to bleed the brakes, i still had no front brakes of any significance, and my pedal would pretty much go straight to the floor.

We then saw that the Master Cylinder was leaking so we went and replaced that, guess what the new master cylinder was leaking too, Replaced that. No difference, went through another bottle of brake fluid, no difference, pedal straight to the floor when the truck is started. So we decided the brake booster must be bad. Replaced that, bled the out of the system. No difference. We then took the calipers off the rotors and they do compress, but when you put them on the car and drive the pedal goes to the floor, and the only braking i get is off the drums in the back. After a small drive i get out and the calipers up front are ice cold, and the drums out back are hot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nick
Old 05-22-2010, 06:37 PM

Good to hear the brakes are working!!!!

Bleed the WHOLE system. Start in the farthest brake from the master cylinder, and work your way to the closest. So rear passenger, rear driver, passenger front, and driver front.

I got a cool tool from harbor freight that makes it a lot easier to do on your own. Basically its a long hose connected to a bottle, so you can see in the hose when air bubbles stop coming out. So you pump until bubbles stop coming out, then close the nipple before it can suck bubbles in!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you got me curious

what the heck was going on? My guess is that one port was being left open even though it seemed to be closed(?)
Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 AM

wierd... i had problems with my 1990 chevy 1500 and a weak brake pedal...i haven't a clue but would love to know the outcome as i am doing this when i return home
Old 06-10-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
you got me curious

what the heck was going on? My guess is that one port was being left open even though it seemed to be closed(?)
That was my first thought too, an open bleeder valve or something that's sucking air into the whole system. I've seen them threaded wrong, thus causing an air leak. Good luck.