YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   Should I Still Try and Drive this Thing? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/should-i-still-try-drive-thing-301487/)

Ididsomethingstupid 08-14-2017 05:29 PM

Should I Still Try and Drive this Thing?

Rather ashamed of this. I recently acquired a '93 yota pickup, 4wd automatic. Went to change the oil for the first time, and instead dumped all the tranny fluid, added 5 quarts of oil to the motor (in addition to the 5 quarts that were never drained) and drove it not too far before the smoke was billowing from the exhaust and the tranny was acting funny. I've refilled the tranny fluid, drained all motor oil and refilled to correct level but haven't even started the thing yet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the most likely fix this is going to require and if I should be driving it? Thinking blew a valve seal but I don't know much.

dropzone 08-14-2017 05:38 PM

won't know till you fire it up

cr@ves4wheelin 08-14-2017 07:16 PM

The damage (if any) is already done. So what ^ he said. Just shift through all your PARK REVERSE DRIVE ETC with the brakes on and hold each for like 10-20 seconds before driving it out on the road.

Ididsomethingstupid 08-15-2017 06:31 AM

I did as you said with shifting through everything and drove it around the block. Transmission is behaving as is should but im still dumping white smoke out of the exhaust.

cr@ves4wheelin 08-15-2017 06:44 AM

How long did you run the truck with the excess oil? Just curious.

The smoke, most likely, is any oil that is getting burnt in the cylinder. My guess is that when the crankshaft aerated the oil in your block, some may have gotten into the cylinder somehow. If it does stop after a while, I would run some seafoam or something to clean up your cylinder and intake with, as well as a fuel additive for the injector. Keep an eye on oil pressure and coolant temp just in case.

Ididsomethingstupid 08-15-2017 07:10 AM

I drove it about a half mile to a tire place and had new tires put on. I picked it up later and was driving it straight home when it started dumping smoke. Thinking maybe a valve seal blew? After driving around the block this morning the coolant seemed hotter than I'd expect.

arlindsay1992 08-15-2017 07:12 AM

The smoke from the exhaust will most likely dissipate. Being so overfilled, the engine oil probably got foamed up and went who knows were. Probably puked through the PCV system and into the intake. It'll all burn itself away eventually after a few miles. I doubt you did any damage to the engine. As for the transmission, running it dry isn't good for it but if you stopped as soon as you noticed then I doubt it's fatal. Certainly wasn't good for it but I don't think you killed it.

arlindsay1992 08-15-2017 07:17 AM

I don't think you could have possibly blown a valve seal. They have such a small effective area that it would take a huge amount of pressure to disturb them. The main seals have a much larger effective area and would be more prone to blowing. Although I'd say the likeliness of that is pretty low too.

Ididsomethingstupid 08-15-2017 07:20 AM

That's good to hear.The exhaust smoke does seem to have slightly gone down but is still at an alarming amount. I suppose I'll take it further and see what happens.

skypilot 08-15-2017 10:14 AM

White smoke is water. Blue is oil, and gasoline is black.

Check your coolant levels, may have been something wrong there before you started. I doubt you did more than an oopsie.

Over filling oil just foams it up,all I can think of is oil locking a cylinder and popping a head gasket letting water into that hole. Just check all your fluid levels and take it out and romp on it, should stop very soon. Drop back in and update.

75w90mantraN 08-16-2017 09:55 AM

Yeah, if its white smoke, good to check the coolant levels (reservoir and rad). If it continues, prob need to replace the head gasket. I'd also just check the trans fluid at the bottom and let out a little bit of fluid drain out and see if any large metal fragments are coming out since it's been driven empty.

If its blue, hopefully it all dissipates after the correction.

As suggested, keep an eye on everything and let us know how it goes.

Ididsomethingstupid 08-20-2017 06:57 AM

Burnt off the oil after a mile or so of driving and has been running fine since. Thanks guys.