Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Seeking advise on engine w/200k: repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking advise on engine w/200k: repair or replace?

Let me start by saying up front that I am not a mechanic. I bought a 1993 Toyota 4wd pickup a few months ago for use as a hauler/hunting rig. It has the 22R engine with just short of 200k miles on it. The body and interior are in pretty good shape for the truck's age.

The alternator went south a few days ago so I took it to a mechanic friend who agreed to replace it. I also asked him to look it over and see if there was anything else needing fixing. He told me there is an oil leak in the engine (probably a crank seal, possibly the timing cover seal) and the exhaust is leaking at the manifold. He also said it would be good to adjust the valves.

He quoted me about $500 (parts and labor) for replacing the alternator, crank seal, exhaust gasket and valve adjustment. If it is the timing cover seal it would be a fair amount more. Seems like a decent price to me. The question comes up though--am I starting down the slippery slope with this engine, especially if the timing cover seal is involved? Should I be looking at a rebuilt engine? Those can be had around here for about $2500, installed cost, with a 36 month/36k warranty.

I don't want to spend more than I need to on this utility vehicle but then again, I don't want to end up spending more over the long run than if I just bit the bullet now and dropped a rebuilt engine in the truck. Or worse yet, breaking down 40 miles up some logging road in western Montana.

Any wisdom from you more experienced guys out there? I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
200k is a baby! I've got 243k on a 3vze which is generally considered less reliable than the 22Rs. Save 2 grand, unless it was beat and poorly maintained you've got a ways to go!

Do the alternator yourself, it's 3 bolts, and skip the exhaust gasket (unless it's getting in the cab) and oil leak. Throw a can of Restore in the oil and call it good, cause it will be.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how does the power of the motor feel? still strong or losing power? does it burn oil ? are some of the things i would think of before u do it, just as some ideas
Old 02-02-2011, 11:43 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Ok If you have the budget to replace the engine with no doubt a Jasper because of the warranty which if I am not mistaken is nation wide

You don`t say if it is an auto or manual if manual replace all the clutch parts while in there. You all ready need to replace the alternator I would also install a new starter at this time

If this places no strain on your cash flow!!!! I would do so only for peace of mind .

The fact you admit to not being a mechanic is a plus If you don`t have the tools a place to work and never have done this.

It can be real frustrating to just change the alternator even when you have done it several times .

If I had the extra money My Toyota vehicles would all sport new rebuilt Jasper Engines

My 2 cents
Old 02-03-2011, 03:06 AM
Contributing Member

It is a 5 speed manual transmission. The truck is in decent shape overall given its age. The engine and engine compartment are pretty clean. It runs pretty good and has what seems to me to be plenty of power. It does not seem to burn any oil as far as I can tell. I think I am going to go with this work and see how it goes.

Thanks, fellows. Great bunch of folks on this forum.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:35 AM

500 parts and labor for that work is a pretty good deal if you can't do it yourself. With an engine that has 200K miles on it even if I had to add a quart every 1K miles or so I wouldn't be too worried about spending a ton of bucks to replace seals.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If your going to be replacing the timing cover gaskets, why don't you put a new timing chain on it? Everything is already exposed? It wouldn't be any additional work. Then you know your good on the front end.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:24 AM

I agree, if he does have to take the timing cover off because it's leaking definitely replace the timing chain and you'll be all set for a while.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I also will add, a new water pump will be a good idea if also doing the timing chain and gaskets.