Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Questions about wheels, fog lights and shackles

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about wheels, fog lights and shackles

I have been reading and searching all over the site. There is so much that I have learned from this site. I'm glad that Cootees turned me on to you guys. I normally post on www.trdoffroad.com

I am getting ready to start ordering a few things for my truck, but I'm still confused about some wheels. I'm ordering 1.5" BJ Spacers, new bushings, 1.5-2" shackle, / \ angle shock kit, u-bolt flip kit, bilstien shocks, sliders, rims, 33x10.50 bfg at ko's, custom intake, magnaflow muffler, extended diff breather, and many light upgrades.

Knowing all of that now. I have a couple of questions. I'm thinking about buying the 15x8 Mountain Crawler wheels for my trucks setup, but I have also been thinking about buying some stock split 3 spoke wheels. Which would be a better setup? I don't want my tires sticking out very far. I personally just don't like a tire sticking out to awful much.

What kind of Running/Fog Lights would you guys suggest? I wanna add some probably beside my license plate and also for reverse lights. I'm doing the tail light reverse mods as well, but I know I will want more. I'm also doing an H4 conversion kit for the headlights.

Finally, what size shackle do you think would be best? I can't decide about lowering the torsion bars once the 1.5 bjs are on there, but I read that it improves wheeling. I have beent thinking about a 4crawler 1" body lift as well to maybe make up for the fact of lowering the truck down .5" after install.

What does anyone thinkin about my ideas and what suggestions do you have as well please. I appriciate everyones imput in advanced and I hope to start posting around the boards more as well.

Chris
Old 01-26-2006, 08:25 AM

~ bump ~

I guess no one has any help for me. Hmmmmm. I think that after 26 people have viewed that someone would have had something to say besides " do a search ". These are not questions that I haven't searched, but rather ones that I didn't see the answer to in my searching.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The wheels are going to just be a personal preference really. Be more concerned about the width of the tire as that will stick out more then the wheels. You know how far my 32x11.50's stick out.. not much at all. Also keep in mind when looking at the tires that, that will also affect the width as well. I know my 31x10.50 swampers stuck out just as far as my 32x11.50 a/t's. Plus after you have the lift on it really does not seem like it sticks out much at all.

For driving lights or fog lights look into hellas or maybe even eagl eyes(I have heard good things about those) For extra reverse lights.. just gut a standard tractor light and it'll do you well. (we stock those as well... fyi)

Can't help you out on the shackles as I know nothing about leaf spring setups. I'm sure someone else will chime in though.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:36 PM

Thank you for answering some of my questions. I'm happy to see that someone will respond to my questions. I have been so impressed with the board till just now.

what's going on everyone? where are you?
Old 01-27-2006, 01:26 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The posts I have read indicate that people are getting every bit of the 1.5" with BJ spacers. You need a shackle twice as long as the amount of lift - but with the flip kit, I don't know that you will need one in this case. Remember, you have adjustability at the front with the T-bars, and you would probably like the look of the truck with the rear SLIGHTLY higher than the front better than slightly lower...

As for the tires, I think you should stay close to the stock backspacing to keep them from sticking out too far. With that amount of lift (I'm runnin the same size with NO lift), you won't have any rubbing problems that you need to compensate for with backspacing.

Sounds like a good plan, look forward to hearing how it works for ya.

HINT: More specific title will get more responses! (If I wasn't bored at work, I would have skipped it too)
Old 01-27-2006, 01:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
re thread titles: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/please-state-your-thread-topic-ambigious-thread-titles-will-deleted-w-o-notice-74561/

i'd say before you get down on the member's lack of response, figure out how to post in the best manner possible to get people to look at your thread. that's why we created this rule

i edited your thread title. normally we don't do that and just delete it, but i'll make an exception in this case.

bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 01-27-2006 at 01:42 PM.